Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Welding Intense Frame
  • flanagaj
    Free Member

I was cleaning my Intense at the weekend and noticed a crack on the weld where the downtube meets the BB section of the frame the crack also runs across the downtube itself and it's length is about 1/2 of the circumference of the downtube. I was wondering whether this could be welded and if so would anyone happen to know of an outfit in the Dorset area ?

Thanks

tangent
    Free Member

ouch!…at least you noticed whilst you were cleaning it!

dunno about welders for alu at all, but I did just spot somebody selling pretty much box fresh Intense over in the classifieds just now…just in case you require a plan b so to speak.

flanagaj
    Free Member

I might have to investigate that. If it is one thing the Wife never moans about it is my bike expenses. Had the vicar include it in our wedding vowels

big-lad
    Free Member

I have welded a intense frame before for my mate, so it can be done. it took a few attempts and ended having to build the weld up aroud the bottom bracket and on to the seat tube, once cleaned up and repainted you would never know its been done. make sure you leave a bottom bracket in so the threads are less likely to get damaged

big-lad
    Free Member

i dont know of any firms in the dorset area but have a look in yellow pages for welding firms or fabricators

geetee1972
    Free Member

How old is the frame and what is the warranty on them anyway? There seem to be a lot of stories about Intense frames failing, not just on here but other forums as well.
    Would you really buy another Intense frame after one failed and wasn't covered by a warranty unless the first frame was particularly old?

Curly68
    Free Member

I had an old M1 and it had a stripped bb. I sent it back to Intense through the importers back then. If I remember rightly, it cost me £60-70. Could try giving Extra UK a buzz first.

flanagaj
    Free Member

Intense only give a 2 year warranty with their frames. I had this for 5 years as it was an early spider XVP.

I could try extra UK, but I don't hold much hope.

jemima
    Free Member

I've cracked a few alu frames in my time. The answer is always the same: cannot be welded because it destroys the heat treatment and integrity of the frame. Sorry. (And I have hung a Socom frame up on the wall because of that). If out of warranty I found Intense's crash replacement policy derisory as it worked out at something like a 10% discount off a new frame…

Si
    Free Member

Aluminium fabricators in yellow pages worked for us

markenduro
    Free Member

That's why I don't clean mine any more

geetee1972
    Free Member

Two year warranty on a £1800 niche hand built uber frame? **** says it all really.

The more experience I have with the intense brand the more I think it's too cool for school overpriced and over hyped garbage.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You can weld alloy and there are fabricators out there who can do it. Personally I would go with tone of the motorcycle frame builders such as harris who weld alloy frames all the time. It might be more expensive than its worth however especially if it needs heat treatment afterwards. These guys make racing motorcycle alloy frames and I doubt there is better alloy welders out there

flanagaj
    Free Member

I also agree that a 2 year warranty on such an expensive frame is rubbish. What happened to the good old days of a lifetime warranty I am sure they did used to exist

I_Ache
    Free Member

Lifetime warrentys still exist my frame has one.

But then it is a non niche big name bike so its probably rubbish anyway. But there is something to be said about buying from the big S.

flanagaj
    Free Member

For those who want to share my pain

khani
    Free Member

i feel your pain 😥
    my mrs cracked a early spyder on the seat tube, crash replacement (even though she did'nt actualy crash) was quoted at £700
    anyone want to buy a spyder rear end in black

flanagaj
    Free Member

The crash replacement in the past has only worked out about 10% off of the retail price. £700 for a replacement is a good deal. Was that for the whole frame and shock or just the front end ?

khani
    Free Member

just the bare front end no bearings or nothing, i thought it was dear i got a new front end for a 5spot for less than £400 with a full bushing kit and spare stickers

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Dear me, if they aren't squint straight out the box they all seem to crack. Nice looking things though.

Maybe taiwanese manufacturing would be a better bet for them!

To be fair internet reporting of failures is probably not an accurate way of assessing which frames fail the most.

zbonty

Regarding welding Ali frames it certainly can be done. A friend of mine had an old Pace with nasty crack on down tube/head tube junction.

A local welder welded the crack, then cut/welded/inserted a triangular piece of metal between top tube and down tube to brace it all. Beautiful fish scale welds, great looking(far superior to original welds)

Best bit is this was all while you wait and cost a massive £10!!

I have pics but am too inept to post them.

thwang-01
    Free Member

here you go
    clean the area up so remove all the paint ally tigin must be very clean
    once youve welded it dunck in water too quench it
    leave frame for 2 wks it will age harden to within 95% of it original strenght i,ve had loads of frames repaired at work the worst being a tomac eli still going strong 2 years later.and a 96 zaskar cracked round the seat/top tube junction and under the headtube/down tube gusset and that one was repaired 3 years ago.
    thw

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Welding Intense Frame’ is closed to new replies.