Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Weird Strava problem; any ideas?
  • v8ninety

This is an odd one. So I started actually using Strava a few days ago, having registered for it a couple of years ago. Been for a couple of rides, really like it. Logged onto the desktop site today, and weirdly, my activities weren’t there. So I checked my phone, and yep, still there. It dawned on me that I must have somehow created two accounts. So (maybe stupidly, I signed out of the iPhone account in order to try to sign back in again; only I had hoped that it would have auto filled the user name. It hadn’t; and when I logged back in with my email and standard low security stuff password it took me to the account with no activity. Now there’s an account floating around on Strava with my ugly mug grinning on it, and my hard earned 30 Gnarmac miles that I have no idea how to access. I haven’t got the foggiest how this could happen but I’d quite like to reclaim it, as although it’s not many miles in the grand scheme of things, it was a lot to me!

Anyone got a clue how to solve this issue? I’m not on Facebook so it couldn’t have logged me on with that :-/

njee20
    Free Member

You created two accounts. Nothing more to it than that! Try a difference email address and ‘forgot my password’?

scotroutes

Log on with the “wrong” account details, export the gpx file then logout. Login with the right details then do an “upload from file.

scaredypants

go onto your account and look at some segmewnts that you rode the other day

look at the leaderboard for “this week” and you will probably find yourself. once you’ve done that it may be possible to get back in (or contact strava and ask them to sort you out)

v8ninety

Yes, I figured that I’d created two accounts, but I haven’t got a different email address to log on with, so I don’t know how that happened. I’ve got a link to the active account as I shared the ride with a mate fortunately, but I have no idea how to convert this info into a login 😐

v8ninety

Help! I’ve stumped the hive mind! 🙁

scaredypants

find your other account using this week’s leaderboard, per my post up there and then click on the the segment entry for your alter ego. That should go to “your” ride unless it’s all set to private. Once you’ve opened up the ride, send a message/comment on the ride and your other account will receive an email telling it that a message has been sent.

Then go to strava’s login page, tell it you’ve forgotten your password and tell it the email address that received the message

v8ninety

Okay, done that. Problem is, there doesn’t appear to be an email account associated with the unloginable account…

verses

Strava let’s you log in using a Google account (similar to how you can do with a Facebook account), would you have done that?

v8ninety

Tried that; I’ve got two Google IDs; I’ve tried logging on with both, and both result in a new shadow account, not the original one. This is really frustrating… Thanks for everyone’s input though

verses

If you’ve 2 Google accounts, doesn’t that mean there’s an email address associated with each? Think you said you only have one email…

v8ninety

One email I use. I have checked the inactive one as well. I’ve also got a work email if you want to get technical; but I only use that for work (I’ve still checked it though)

verses

That’s me stumped then.

Only other thing I can think is to stick the link you sent to your mate into this site, I believe it will let you export the gpx file for the ride…

http://strava-tools.raceshape.com/vpu/

verses

Actually, I got that link from here but it might not do what I thought…
    http://www.scarletfire.co.uk/download-strava-ride-gpx/

However, in the comments someone mentions a Chrome extention that let’s you download the gpx file from a Strava ride. Could be worth a try.

bensales
    Free Member

Why not just contact Strava and explain the situation? I bet they can sort it it you can identify the activities as suggested above.

https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/articles/216917777-How-to-contact-Strava-Support-Submit-a-ticket

tillydog
    Free Member

If someone gives you kudos, do you get an email notification? To which account?

v8ninety

I’ll try a support ticket. I tried one before, but inadvertently I deleted the ghost account that (I didn’t realise) it was associated with. Anyone had much sense from Strava support?

Tillydog, nope, no email notifications to any email account.

molgrips
    Free Member

Tried logging in with facebook?

v8ninety

I’m not on Facebook, so I hadn’t; but you know what, I probably WAS on it when I first downloaded Strava. So I reactivated my FB account, allowed Strava to access it on the phone settings, and…

…Yet another ghost account. Nope, didn’t work. AND now I feel grubbied by FB, too… 😉

v8ninety

Bumped for the morning crowd…

scaredypants

put up a link to the strava page for one of your mystery rides – not sure what anyone’ll do with it, but you never know

As I understand things, you somehow created an account that is linked neither to facebook id or any of your email addresses ? (I can’t see a way out of this without contacting strava, as you have done)
    I wonder if it’s possible to mistype the email address and set up the account without needing to reply to a confirmation email – was too long ago for me to remember

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

you say you can view rides on phone? Go onto phone and strava app and then profile and edit. it will tell you what email address you registered with on there.

or alternatively forget about Strava and carry on riding and enjoying riding as you did in those naive, sepia-tinted pre-Strava days.

allthegear
    Free Member

Yeah, I’ve got a problem with Strava – it seems convinced I’m going much slower than everyone else…

Rachel

v8ninety

My ride on inaccessible account Yes, scaredypants, that’s basically it, I’ve created an account without any means of logging into it. I just opened the app and cracked on, unaware that it wasn’t the account that I opened a year or so ago. I USED to be able to access it from my phone, but unfortunately I logged out and then couldn’t log in again. I emailed Strava and got a generic ‘how to reset my password’ type email. I’ve replied to it as per the ‘if this didn’t answer your question’ instructions, but now when I open the link for the support ticket I get a 414 message. I’m going to lose my two little rides, aren’t I? 🙁

scaredypants

OK, so really all you need is a premium user (not me, soz) to download your 2 rides and send the files to you. Then you can import on your “proper” account and just forget the other one.

?

v8ninety

I guess; don’t know how that works. Sounds sort of right though… Can a premium user download my ride without me logging in then?

njee20
    Free Member

Nope, can’t do that that I can see. I can download my own rides, but not other people’s.

v8ninety

#%+%.

Thanks.

I’m out of ideas

tillydog
    Free Member

You can download it youself:

Go here:

http://strava-tools.raceshape.com/vpu/

Paste the address of your strava ride into the box (i.e https://www.strava.com/activities/580391425 ) and click the ‘Get Started’ button.

Wait a minute until the ‘Send Course to Device’ box appears, then click the ‘download the CRS file’ link UNDER the box.

Save the resulting .crs file somewhere.

Go here:

http://www.gpsies.com/convert.do

Click ‘Browse’ and select the .crs file you just saved

Leave the settings as ‘Convert to gpx track’ and click convert.

Save the resulting .gpx file.

On your new, shiney, accessible Strava account, click the orange + (plus sign) button (top right) and ‘Upload Activity’.

Click ‘File’ on the left, then browse to select the .gpx file you saved.

Repeat for the other activity.

All will be well.

v8ninety

Tillydog; ledge. Thank you. I’ll give it a go; really appreciate the help 8)

v8ninety

All sorted! Strava customer support came through, in the end. Turns out the original account was created and I’d managed to put a typo in it (.con). There’s no ‘click to activate’ email with Strava so I never realised. Also, pretty impressive that the app stayed logged in for about 36 months… (See STW, it’s possible 😉 )

Thanks all for your help and suggestions.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Weird Strava problem; any ideas?’ is closed to new replies.