• This topic has 26 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by aP.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • We done this yet? [Wiggins Content]
  • RealMan
    Free Member

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cycling/15081430.stm

Going for Olympic gold? What about Cav?

I believe he can win the tour though.

Rod

Presumably he is referring to gold in the team pursuit? Would love to see him in top form at the Tour (which will hopefully suit him better than climbs like the Angliru!)

aracer
    Free Member

Presumably he is referring to gold in the team pursuit?

time trial, shirley?

RealMan
    Free Member

TT in the olympics?

EDIT: quick google says it is, didn’t realise, guess that’s what he’s referring to.

clubber
    Free Member

Nah, he’s much less competitive in the TT than he was at persuit. If he’s going to the Olympics, he’ll want a guaranteed gold medal. Tony Martin spanked him at the WC TT recently.

RealMan
    Free Member

Wiggins insisted his new-found intensity would enable him successfully challenge for the Tour, which finishes on 22 July, before he turns his attention to the Olympics, with the time trial race scheduled for 1 August and the team pursuit beginning the following day.

Maybe both then.

jamiec360
    Free Member

Unfortunately I still can’t see where we will get a TDF winner from, hope I’m proved wrong but don’t think he has the right mentality for it.

Travis

with that lap he pulled towards the end of the World Champs, I think he’s mental all right 😀

Junkyard
    Free Member

I still think he wouls have podiumed this year at the T d F and top three for Spain is not bad after the injury
    He is our only hope but I cannot see how he can win it sadly

AlexSimon

We’ve seen the tour won like he could many times before.
    i.e. follow in the mountains and then beat the pure climbers in the time trial.

The way Wiggins beat Cadel in the Dauphine lends me to believe that he would have been there-or-thereabouts at the tour too.

That first week is always a crash-lottery though 🙁

leggyblonde
    Free Member

TT in the olympics?

EDIT: quick google says it is, didn’t realise, guess that’s what he’s referring to.

wannabe racer in only knowing about le tour and worlds shocker! 😆

njee20
    Free Member

wannabe racer in only knowing about le tour and worlds shocker!

😆

Too busy critiquing everyone’s ‘slammed’ stems!

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

AlexSimon – Member

The way Wiggins beat Cadel in the Dauphine lends me to believe that he would have been there-or-thereabouts at the tour too.

That first week is always a crash-lottery though

Wot he said. Tour and Gold medal not as far fetched as it sounds.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Tony Martin spanked everyone at the WC TT recently.

FIFY 😉

njee20
    Free Member

I reckon he could do it, a real shame we never saw his form at the Tour this year. No point writing everyone off now based on Tony Martin’s form, a year is a massive amount of time. I still think Spartacus is the man to beat in the TT.

steve_b77
    Free Member

It’s not impossible, especially if there are no stupid gradient climbs to tackle.

llama

yes like this year as you say

The thing I don’t see Wiggins doing is being on competetive form in the last week of a grand tour. He wasn’t in the Vuelta, wasn’t in the TDF in 2009 and not in 2010. I guess this year could have been different as he obviously targeted the TDF.

I’m sure he’ll be working his ass off at it though so we’ll see.

aracer
    Free Member

The thing I don’t see Wiggins doing is being on competetive form in the last week of a grand tour. He wasn’t in the Vuelta

You write that like he had a disaster – he lost a minute or so on one really steep climb (the sort of thing they don’t have in the TdF) to only a couple of people. Had it been the TdF with a TT after all the mountains he’d have almost certainly won.

ampthill

Nah, he’s much less competitive in the TT than he was at persuit. If he’s going to the Olympics, he’ll want a guaranteed gold medal. Tony Martin spanked him at the WC TT recently.

Much less!

He was second.

Do you really mean that winning something in 2008 trumps being second in 2011. OK so Cancellera was unlucky but even so

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UCI_Track_Cycling_World_Championships_%E2%80%93_Men’s_individual_pursuit

Oh Britain was 3rd in the team pursuit in 2011 without Wiggins

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_UCI_Track_Cycling_World_Championships_%E2%80%93_Men’s_team_pursuit

bagpuss
    Free Member

Back to the Vuelta I think it’s worth noting that stage 1 was a disaster for Sky, at the back with Geox at the finish when it would not have been unreasonable for them to have been at the front given their recent TT results. Not enough time for Wiggins to have moved up from third but surely if they had got the team TT right then Froome and Wiggins would have had a greater lead going into the last week.

Hindsight and speculation combined.

Bazz

Don’t forget the Vuelta had time bonuses for all the stages which the tour doesn’t have, i think if you took away all the time bonuses from everyone Froome would have won.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Yup Froome completed the race quicker than Cobo, in real time that is

AlexSimon

I didn’t know that – interesting!

uponthedowns
    Free Member

I’m not sure he has it in him to win the TdF especially if Contador is around. But he beat Cuddles in the Dauphine and if he can hang in there on the climbs and if there’s enough TT in next years Tour you never know.

The challenge will be for Sky to somehow field a team for the TdF that can support a GC contender and provide enough lead out for Cavendish to win a few sprints.

ampthill

Is Cavendish confirmed yet?

RealMan
    Free Member

Is Cavendish confirmed yet?

Depends who you ask.

aP
    Free Member

More realistically – when will Froome win the Tour?

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘We done this yet? [Wiggins Content]’ is closed to new replies.