Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Waterproof shorts
  • z1ppy

Really like my Altura Attack 3/4’s but finally after 4 or so years the stitching is starting to fail, I’ll pop em down to a local repair place but think if they’ve failed once, there on there way out.

So what currently recommended that you actually use to tempt me away for the attack’s?
    I really want proper waterproof not splashproof & 3/4 length. So the likes of Madisons addict, Endura’s MT500, or Polaris’s 500 Repel seemingly aren’t what I want.

and if nothing else, yes I might buy some ex-army goretex and have them altered but I really like the Altura’s as they fitted properly (not loose over trousers) and had pockets.

z1ppy

Really, no one using any in this weather? 😳

Trimix
    Free Member

Any shorts and a crud catcher will do.

downhilldave

Have some Mt500 spray baggies and realy rate them,but,as you say not waterproof. So I bought some Gore Bike Wear Alp-X 2.0 Gore Tex shorts and they are Totally waterproof. No pockets or zip fly though,so comfort breaks require dropping them 😯 . Good fit and not too baggy, but not cheap.

mrmojo
    Free Member

Endura MT 500 are really good had mine for over a year .. I’d recommend them.

z1ppy

Trimix, yeah of course, cause crud catchers stop rain failing from the sky…

I’ll probably get some MT500 when my everyday singletrack’s fall to pieces but I really want some specific waterproof one for proper rainy days.
    Are Goretex short really ‘tough’ enough, but at that price… ouch!

Cheers though

tor5
    Free Member

Don’t switch. Attacks are great.

devs
    Free Member

I’ve just got fed up riding round in patched up Enduras and Alturas. They all rip and fail or just plain leak in the end. Over priced garbage. The only ones that work are cut off army surplus goretex. I won’t be wasting money or time on any of the others again.

z1ppy

Devs my 4 year experience doesn’t tally with yours. Not saying mine were perfect, they went back once (2 year warranty) for a zip failure and they replaced them which was nice as I’d put a rip in the rear (barbed wire) & I did repair another (self induced) rip with tent tape and superglue.

I suspect another pair will be ordered.. just looking to see if anything else if worth trying, as they’ve upped the price by £18 since last I bought some 😯

DaveE

Altura attack 3/4’s on my 3rd winter.
    Pocket zip has failed but still wouldn’t be without them.
    Don’t think there is much around at the price

snakebite
    Free Member

Madisons, well impressed with mine, better than twice the price endura event stuff..

Northwind

I’d just get another set of Attacks, I’ve got a few pairs on the go and they’ve been fantastic- longlived and durable, and the only one that’s not still waterproof is the one I’ve ripped the arse of, think I’ll forgive it.

jam-bo

Just got some gores off the classifieds and they seem pretty good for £30…

iainc

I have Attack 3/4s and Madisons. I much prefer the Madison’s – closer fit, stay up better, just as effective, lighter.

hot_fiat

Love my attacks. Could do with a belt loop to cope with the post-christmas pot (ahem, cough, cough) and I wouldn’t mind some thigh pockets.

jamj1974

I’ve just gone to the Alturas after using the Endura Spray for a few years. Really preferring them – especially with the braces.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

your riding a bicycle in the rain,

waterproof shorts are just like pissing in the wind

Northwind

…said someone who’s never tried them? They make a massive difference.

z1ppy

Have you actually tried a pair DR? As that’s not my experience, waterproof jacket, shorts, boots & even mudguards all help IME.
    Cheers all, tempted by the Madison love but think my money will be going on more Altura’s

hot_fiat

They were a total revelation: transforming everyday trail riding in the winter up here from a miserable, cold, wet experience to something a list more enjoyable. A proper further/faster maker. We were out all day on Sunday on hexhamshire common, covered in ice-laden mud in the wind. If I’d been in full waterproofs I’d’ve soaked myself with sweat and had a crap time. As it was, I was toasty warm, dry and happy to be out on the moors well beyond when my mate was calling it a day. Don’t diss ’em ’till you’ve tried them.

jamj1974

They make a massive difference!

travo
    Free Member

If you can find some, I’d definitly recommend some Sombrio Wildcard shorts, really good hard wearing and properly waterproof with decent zip pockets, had a pair for a few years now and no issues. Only minor downside is they’re a bit tight over knee pads but just about fit

z1ppy

Discount cycles direct (Broadribbs) have the 2013 Attack’s for £56, cheapest I could find.. so got some ordered

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Waterproof shorts’ is closed to new replies.