Viewing 40 posts - 4,041 through 4,080 (of 4,123 total)
  • Watches N+1…
  • Premier Icon neilnevill
    Free Member

I’m not a turtle fan, the case shape just turns me off. However, isn’t the steeldive Willard obviously wrong in it’s date window placement?

Premier Icon sas78

@ivandobski

My MK1 defender is the grey/brown one, it’s lovely in real life. Keep looking! I had an alert on eBay and got it for a steal a few years back. It’s a keeper for me. The colour and dial layout of the MK1 for me is far superior to the MK2 but the green has really caught my eye! My first green dialled watch. It’s arriving today. Will try and post a photo comparison if you are interested?

Premier Icon sas78

@neilnevill

I wasn’t aware of the date placement thing actually, I thought it was the same. Interesting. I’ll look into that, but a quick Google seems to show them being similar.

Premier Icon IvanDobski
    Free Member

That’d be cool, be interesting to get some first impressions of mk2 v mk1 as well.

Basically, if you can knock up a full compare and contrast review with high quality images that’d be great!

Premier Icon sas78

@Ivandobski

😉 If I can actually get a photo uploaded it would be progress for me on here…🤪

I will try though. It’s just arrived and already I am loving it. Quite different to the MK1: bigger shinier and maybe better put together? Not sure yet. It’s definitely great though. Came with a zulunato, nice canvas strap and steel original. Amazing!. I’ll write something up later to explain my thoughts. 🤔

Premier Icon neilnevill
    Free Member

@sas78 I had a Seiko and for the current Willard appear on the thread, it had the date window at 4.30. maybe the original Willard had it at 3, dunno.

Premier Icon CountZero

However, isn’t the steeldive Willard obviously wrong in it’s date window placement?

Getting confused with winder placement? Dunno, tbh. Both of my Heimdallr watches have the date window at 3 o’clock, but others like the Seiko SP045RK have the date window at 4.30, winder at 4.00. TBH, there are so many mods and ‘homages’ like my two Heimdallr’s, it’s difficult to remember what’s what!
    Even my Heimdallr Steel Tuna has been customised, with a limited edition Marine Master face, and MM300 hands. With a fully lumed ceramic bezel insert, it’s become my everyday watch, I almost never take it off any more.

Premier Icon Kryton57

Found this piece on sale and couldn’t resist flipping a couple of my cheaper watches to create a budget for it and therefore slightly upscaling my collection:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2mKY3xw]20211120_130636[/url]

A lovely Khaki King with the champagne dial. It comes with a brown strap but I much prefer the black which I had already so swapped it over, feels like a real quality watch

Premier Icon neilnevill
    Free Member

Ah bit of Google and yes it seems the normal Willard date position is 3. The one I saw pop up was the sla049j1, and it’s down at 4.30.

Premier Icon tthew

👆I like the Hamilton. Where did you get it from, and how much? (if you don’t mind saying obvs.)

Premier Icon kilo

That Hamilton is nice, like the day & date wheel positioning.

Premier Icon Kryton57

@tthew I got it last week from Francis & Gaye for £342 – they are having a Hamilton sale currently if you have a look. Its gone up to £372 now, but I did notice that Jura/CW Sellors still have them at £343 today.

F&G

Jura

That pic was one of several I took to try to get the detail, I can’t describe how much of a quality that looks in real life – more than the pic shows TBH and the H40/ETA clone is quite compact in the display caseback. Note the brown strap is much lighter IRL than the internet pics.

Premier Icon cookeaa

Another one from the bargain bin, I wanted a cheap quartz field watch, wasn’t too worried about brand or amazing finish, the default suggestion pretty much everywhere was a Timex Expedition of some sort… But No!:

Stainless case, drilled lugs, Seiko movement, 100m and a fully lumed dial… £20

Yep it’s a ‘Lorus’. And I really quite like it!

Premier Icon sas78

Love that Lorus! Very cool watch that. Where did you get that?

Premier Icon cookeaa

Argos

Premier Icon Wally

Swiss Watch Company ARK on it’s way.

Premier Icon sas78

Nice one. Great wee spot that. Well done. Tempted….

Premier Icon CountZero

That Lorus is lovely! Exactly what a field watch should be, nice and simple. Is the whole face lumed? Not many watches with that feature, my TAG Heuer NightDiver was the first, I believe, but the lume back in the 80’s didn’t last as long as the modern versions.
    At that price, I’m bloody tempted!

Premier Icon cookeaa

Is the whole face lumed?

Oh yes.

After a few hours of artificial light and ten minutes sat under my bedside light it was good and bright, and it was still legible by ~6:00 this morning.

It should work well after a bit of sunlight.

Premier Icon derek_starship
    Free Member

This damn thread.

Couldn’t resist that Lorus so ordered one at 11:30. £24.95 delivered TODAY!
    Good old Argos.

Premier Icon cookeaa

Found a bright orange 18mm NATO in a drawer, reckon it pulls it off OK, but I’m going to end up spending double it’s value on straps aren’t I…

Premier Icon sas78

Yip. That orange works for me. Haha. I talked myself out of one. But that price is amazing.

Premier Icon neilnevill
    Free Member

Does anybody know where I could get a royal blue sail cloth strap with white stitching?
    Something like this, but blue not black

MKS Black Sailcloth Strap w/ Grey Stitching

I think it would look incredible on my pelagos….if I could find one.

Premier Icon tthew

I’ve got a Barton sailcloth strap, I don’t know if its a common thing, but the tang  holes frayed really quickly, from first use. It doesn’t look too bad on a beater watch, but wouldn’t be good on something smart.

Premier Icon dyna-ti
    Free Member

I would have though with the invention of the does it all mobile smart phone, watches would be a thing of the past. It’s interesting to see many still wear them.

I have a watch but rarely wear it, its an Omega something or other 18ct, but having come from trades where you weren’t able to wear a watch, so i suppose that broke the habit.

Premier Icon neilnevill
    Free Member

Sounds like the Barton strap didn’t have the holes sealed very well, they should be heat sealed just like a NATO if it’s cordura or nylon. If it is canvas it should be stitched around each hole.

Premier Icon tthew

Yeah, I tried to melt/seal the frayed bits myself, but it didn’t really work. Might be something to do with the fabric like weave rather than the seat belt weave, dunno, I’m no expert.

Anyway, can’t recommend the Barton sailcloth straps, (they don’t have the colour combo you’re after anyway) unlike their rubber and leather options which are brilliant.

Premier Icon brads
    Free Member

It’s interesting to see many still wear them.

I reckon 90% of the people I know wear a watch.

Premier Icon brads
    Free Member

Must not buy Lorus
    Must not buy Lorus
    Must not buy Lorus

Premier Icon cookeaa

The Lorus has been on my wrist all weekend and come to work with me today and has prompted me to reappraise the watches I currently have in rotation, and those that aren’t really getting worn.
    That 20-quid ‘POS’ is currently a better option than several others I already own, in terms of both cost, function and looks.

So I’m thinking I might just retire a few others, I’ve got too many cheap, crappy watches at present and I just need to rationalise.

I don’t want to be one of those blokes with a drawer full of dead, broken, unworn useless cheap watches so a bit of a reduction in numbers is in order I feel.
    Dare I say it more Quartz, less mechanical so they’re mostly ready to go on demand and don’t need as much winding/setting.

I’m thinking I will limit myself to a 10 slot watch box, and anything that fails to make the cut just get flogged and I operate a one in, one out policy from then on.

In direct contradiction of this thread’s title I’m headed towards an N- type situation.

Premier Icon derek_starship
    Free Member

it should be stitched around each hole

OOOOF. Brought back memories of a friend’s catastrophic prolapse whilst doing
    heavy low-rep squats. Imagine filling your pants with your colon…

Premier Icon LS
    Free Member

I have a circa-2007 £30 Lorus quartz chrono that keeps better time than all my other watches except for a multiband 6 G-Shock, which is no surprise.
    That’s up against quartz/auto/manual from Longines, Tissot, Seiko and Lator!

Premier Icon johnners
    Free Member

FFS Derek.

Premier Icon boblo
    Free Member

Anyone got one of the latest gen Seamaster Pro’s? I have the previous one in ‘that’ blue but thinking of trading as they’re quite common.

Any thoughts/observations (on the watch)?

Out:

In:

Premier Icon Kato

All Seamaster’s are common to be fair.

I like the white ceramic one, but not enough to get rid of my 20 year old one.  I know there has been complaints about the AR coating scratching off on the latest gen as it’s coated inside and outside

Never really got coating the outside of sapphire

Premier Icon chewkw
    Free Member

My ex-classmate in the far east is selling his bling Omega Speedmaster 2011 (like this) for £1.7K if anyone is interested. Certificate etc to proof. He used to be the owner of a tour company but since the pandemic he has been unemployed other than running grilled food stall to get by. Money is needed to fund his son’s final year education. Anyway, I don’t know if it is a genuine Omega unless a watch expert can verify.

Not my cup of tea as I only like Japanese cheapo watch nowadays. My current watch is Casio G-Shock 5600 and I just wish the digital display is larger so I can see properly …

Premier Icon tthew

I know there has been complaints about the AR coating scratching off on the latest gen as it’s coated inside and outside

My Tag Heuer is like that, you can definitely see scratches in the coating, which rather negates the point of anti-reflective! I’d like to find out a safe way to remove it.

Premier Icon neilnevill
    Free Member

I have that watch on order boblo

Premier Icon xzxfx
    Free Member

Pilot Watches. There isn’t any one style that characterizes a pilot watch. With regards to the ground breaking nature of the flying business, the sort has developed a lot as new innovation and new requirements have arisen. The soonest men watches worn by pilots were repurposed field watches. They must be precise, obviously, and they must be decipherable under low-light conditions.
    Field watches, with their hand-wound movements and dark dials with enormous white numerals, fulfilled both of these requirements. After some time, flying corps all throughout the planet started to foster watches with explicit flying capacities.
    CR:https://www.tblsilicone.com/article/detail/the-difference-between-fda-and-lfgb-certified-silicone-products.html

Premier Icon Kato

The white dial on that is a beauty in the flesh

Viewing 40 posts - 4,041 through 4,080 (of 4,123 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.