Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 160 total)
  • Wanted: Riders, South Lakes or Peak[s 👿] Weekend or Midweek
  • thegeneralist
    Free Member

I’m looking to go out with as many different groups as possible in preparation for my MTB Guide assessment.
    If anyone wants to do a ride in the Lakes or Peak District, especially if you’re not so sure about the navigation side of things, then let me know. Individual or a group. Could do midweek or weekend, including this coming weekend. (No money involved (obvs))

Could also do evenings in the Peak.

Cheers

duncancallum

If I’d not have moved I’d be well up for that

poltheball
    Free Member

iirc you’re based near me (South Manchester?) – would be happy to meet up for a wee ride at some point, either to give you practice or just for a social spin. Will struggle in the short term – miniptb2 appeared two weeks ago, so I think I’d be in trouble if I swanned off on a jolly any time soon.

If it’s BC L2 you’re training for, I’ve a nice faffy route starting at Hayfield to help test your nav if you’d like.

lesgrandepotato

I’m south lakes. Where you going to take me?

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Hi poltheball. Yes indeed. Based in Timperley. If you can get a free evening or early weekend half day then I’d be up for that. Back to Manc for 1pm sort of thing.

Lesgrande..
    I’ll PM you. Depends how much you’ve done previously and what you’d like to do. If you have any “would love be to do” routes then tell me. Alternatively what cycling you’ve done and enjoyed, and what you’ve done and not enjoyed so much… too far? too tech? too hilly? too dull.

IHN

I’m in the Peak (Disley), navigationally competent, but technically dreadful. Happy to give you some practice in guiding people who can read a map but can’t ride for shit, if that’s any use 🙂

nbt

I’m near ihn. I can double check your navigation as i know most of the local trails like the back of my hand 😉

Tom-B
    Free Member

I’m seemingly a (just outside of) Congleton version of IHN apparently! Just returning to mtb, used to be very fast uphill and fairly average downhill. Now I’m fairly slow uphill and very slow downhill!

I can read a map and use a compass fairly well though and have hiked the vast majority of the White Peak. Would love to do some Dark Peak stuff, I’m free Tuesday and Wednesday evenings (although would take me until about 7 to get to Dark Peak on a Wednesday) could also negotiate a pass on a Thursday I guess.

samhay
    Free Member

Are you looking for a group, or does that get more complicated?
    I’m just down the road from Disley in New Mills, so if you want a small group, I may be able to tag along. I’m pretty handy at navigating, but just getting back into riding after a break, so a little rusty.

crazy-legs

Also New Mills – happy to be a Guide Test Dummy if required.
    Fairly flexible with work too so can often get a morning or afternoon off to go play in the hills.

Please note that I only ride in the dry – any hint of having to ride through mud and your ride leader abilities in dealing with tantrums (while I walk through the offending boggy bits) will be tested to the max!

nbt

any hint of having to ride through mud and your ride leader abilities in dealing with tantrums (while I walk through the offending boggy bits)

can confirm

checks weather forecast to schedule for rainy day to check @thegeneralist’s personality hndling skills

BrianSavage

I have a MTB leader qualification and would be happy to help out for a ride in the Peaks.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve got some time off during the next few weeks. Either happy to be “shown” around my own patch (Peak) or shown new stuff in the Lakes.

Tend to like the more techy side of things.

ebennett

I’m Manc based too (Prestwich) and usually ride Thursday & Saturday in the Peak or Lakes, I’d be happy to join a group or go solo. I know the Peak fairly well, but beyond Grizedale I’m not that familiar with much of the Lakes.

edward2000
    Free Member

Disley here too! Maybe we can organise a ride out?

mark88

I’m currently South Lakes based, usually ride alone so would be keen to get involved.

If you want someone more newcomer based, my housemate is an inexperienced but enthusiastic gravel rider.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Awesome. I’m thinking a trip to the Lakes is needed, and a few Peak District rides. I’ll try to get in contact with the first responders and base something around that.

( Once I’ve checked with swmbo, natch)

Many thanks.

MoreCashThanDash

I’ll try to get in contact with the first responders

That’s a little pessimistic isn’t it?

Paul-S
    Free Member

I’m up in the lakes for a few days in mid-May if your free.

P.

sharkey
    Free Member

I’m based in timperley too, waves 👋, up for a midweek ride

crankbreaker

I’ll be staying in buxton during May sussing it out as a possible relocation, er, location and would be interested in being shown a route or two. Will need to check which day(s) I’m not booked to do something else but could be free for an evening blast too. Thanks and sorry if I end up being flaky in advance!

thegeneralist
    Free Member

OK. Anyone up for a ride out of Staveley this Saturday at around 10:30 for 11am departure?

Kentmere Special 22.5km 680m looks good.

Could be adapted with a drop over to Sadgill for an 8km extension.

I keep thinking that Garburn might be an add on

thegeneralist
    Free Member

I’ll be staying in buxton during May sussing it out as a possible relocation, er, location and would be interested in being shown a route or two

Excellent. We’ll do that.

crankbreaker

Nicely, appreciate that! Let me get the bike on the packing list and work out when is possible!

IHN

I’ll be staying in buxton during May sussing it out as a possible relocation, er, location

Without wishing to go off topic too much, but you should know that it is never, and I mean never, warm in Buxton.

nbt

Ah Buxton, the only place ever to see a county cricket match snowed off. In June.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Hahaha yeah it is always cold in Buxton innit! I’ve played some seriously crazy gigs there….the locals are very ‘local’ 😳

funkrodent

I’ll raise my head above the parapet as another South Mancs based rider – Urmston for me. Can’t do Saturday in the Lakes, but half day in the Peaks next week is a distinct possibility..

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Hoping to finish work prompt today and head out to the peak. Any of you Manc/Disley mob got free time this evening?

IHN

Sorry, not me, Scouts tonight. Dib dib dib.

edward2000
    Free Member

Would do but its run club on Thursday!

crazy-legs

@thegeneralist – I was planning on a road ride but could be persuaded to do a ride over Chinley Churn or Twenty Trees. Or both!

I reckon I can be out the door by about 4.30.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

@Crazy-legs

Awesome. Alas I’m quite a bit further away from there ( Altrincham), and can’t finish till 4pm

I’ll PM you my number.

If anyone else fancies it then I guess we’ll be meeting around 5:30 somewhere in the New Mills area.

snotrag

@thegeneralist despite having ridden the peaks a fair bit and both being pretty competent/experienced, me and a mate have never done cut gate and thinking of it this Saturday AM.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Argh would’ve been well up for this but ridden in to work so won’t be back in time to get over for 5:30.

samhay
    Free Member

I should be free by 5:30-ish.
    If you want one more, can you PM me?

scc999

To add to the New Mills / Disley based folk, I’m in Buxworth. Always up for being shown around stuff as it’s often me that has to come up with suitable routes for mates when we head out.

Slightly OT but if the other localish folk fancy an after work or weekend ride then I’d be interested….

Si

crazy-legs

Had a nice ride round a short Hayfield loop with @thegeneralist earlier.

He was kind enough not to fall about laughing at my retro (read: ancient) Cove hardtail and also nice enough not to drop me like a stone on every descent. Only about 10 miles / 90 mins but nice out – was good to look over at the rain pouring over Manchester way and enjoy the dry trails and nice weather!

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Apologies again samhay. I didn’t think I’d be able to get out today, but then it came together all in a rush and I didn’t manage it properly.

That was indeed a great ride C-Legs Predictably enough in your Manor there was sod all guiding for me to do, but at least I found some more excellent future bridleways. And thanks for not dropping me on all the uphills 🙂 Nipped up Lantern Pike after, which was nice.

I’ve got one definite so far, so can confirm the plan is Saturday morning 1 May from Wheelbase carpark in Staveley. Base plan is Kentmere Special which does bit on each side of the valley. 22.5km 680m. However if everyone that shows up is in favour ( the one confirmee so far is ) then we may do Garburn and then possibly Sadgill. Or if we’re feeling fit then we might do Garburn afterwards.
    Please note that I can’t commit to Garburn at this stage so please bear that in mind if you’re set on that specific route.

Meet at the carpark at 10:30 for a 11:00 departure. I’ll be the ugly one with the light blue Occam, red ruksack, black helmet. Or if I’ve not yet got my shit together then I’ll be rummaging around in the Doss Bus.

Please PM me your phone number if you’re coming.

Bunnyhop

Crazylegs – where is that trail?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 160 total)

The topic ‘Wanted: Riders, South Lakes or Peak[s 👿] Weekend or Midweek’ is closed to new replies.