Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)
  • Walkers Salt & Vinegar – has the flavour changed or is it me?
  • Speeder

I have a packet of crisps with my lnch most days (creature of habit) and my preferred flavour is S&V. We usually buy Walkers for consistency but of late I’ve noticed that the flavour of Salt and Vinegar seems to have changed and not at all subtly. The did go through a phase of “very Salt and Vinegar” but since they seem to have come to an end, they’ve not reverted to the old recipe. It almost tastes a bit balsamic but I can’t really put my finger on it.
    It’s not a rogue batch as this is over a few weeks and several different multipacks, so a good range of production and they’re all consistent. I’m not sure I like it.

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed it?

Or is it just me?

G

binners

I have no idea, but in the interests of research I’m going to go and buy some and put it to the taste test

IMHO the benchmark for salt and vinegaryness is…

dyna-ti

Drop them.

Giant Wotsits – game changer.

fossy

I remember Worcester Sause crisps as a youngster. All modern ones are a wash out until I found Seabrooks Lea and Perrin flavour – they are good !

Seabrooks crisps for the flavour win all day.

convert

Walkers Salt & Vinegar – has the flavour changed or is it me?

It’s all an irrelevance – whilst the SALT and VINEGAR bags are green, what the contents taste like is neither here or there.

johndoh
    Free Member

If you want a proper face-gurningly strong flavour, then it has to be…

I know they aren’t crisps, but, boy, are they good. Sometimes I actually think ‘Can I bear the taste today’? and choose not to open a packet!

a11y

Not sure I should disagree with experts/Binners when it comes to crisp recommendation, but these from the Co-op are seriously strong:

Oooft

hightensionline

null

The destroyer of w̶o̶r̶l̶d̶s̶ tongues.

Plus, blue bag – as Chris McCausland quite correctly pointed out on HIGNFY last week. Why did we allow S&V to swap with C&O?

Speeder

@binners not sure I’ve ever tried the Seabrooks – my favourite is the McCoys but they’re so big they’re a treat only.

@dyna-ti
    – you don’t get enough in a normal bag of Wotsits – how few do you get in GIANT Wotsits? Also they’re cheesy not S&V. Good, but not ideal.

Speeder

Will everyone stop suggesting other S&V options please! I’ve had to resort to Cheese & Onion this morning as I only have 3 S&V for the week so I’m rationing myself and it’s frustrating. ;o)

binners

@a11y – couldn’t agree with you more about those S&V Co-op crisps. They’re absolutely top notch! They only do them in big bags though and we all know that once you open a pack, you’re finishing them!

@binners not sure I’ve ever tried the Seabrooks – my favourite is the McCoys but they’re so big they’re a treat only.

@Speeder
    – I find the Seabrooks a happy medium as they’re crinkle cut but nowhere near as substantial as the McCoys (which I also love)

convert

Anyway I thought S&V Discos were the ultimate mouth stripper of all time.

weeksy

Yup, had the co=op ones from Fort William, they were tangy !

oldnpastit

I know what you mean about the balsamic thing.

I was going to suggest covid when I saw the thread title.

Speeder

Why do people get so hung up on the colour of the bag anyway – it’s even an FAQ on the Walkers website and they say:

Why did you switch the colours of Salt & Vinegar and Cheese & Onion flavour Walkers Crisps?
    ANSWER:
    We’re often asked this! Our Salt & Vinegar and Cheese & Onion flavour crisps packs have always been the colours they are today. Contrary to popular belief, we’ve never swapped the colours around, not even temporarily. We’ve no plans to change these designs, as they’re signature to our brand.

convert

it’s even an FAQ on the Walkers website and they say:

Correct – they have always been wrong.

In what world were the flavours of cheese or the flavour of onion reminiscent of the colour blue?

a11y

They only do them in big bags though and we all know that once you open a pack, you’re finishing them!

@binners
    you say that, but I’ve only just noticed the packet size in that image I posted above: 40g. I’ve NEVER seen them in anything other than the big 150g bag. Small bags would be dangerous/brilliant/dangerously-brilliant.

Co-op is a 2min wander from my front door and all too easy to buy and demolish a big bag of these in a single sitting.

pocpoc
    Free Member

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed it?

In a world of coincidences, I just had my first bag of Walkers S&V in a long time and they just didn’t taste right.
    We normally have cheap Aldi own ones because with 3 children we would need another mortgage to go branded with crisps! Found these Walkers ones at the back of a drawer, still in date. But just didn’t taste like S&V should. Almost tasted like they were off.

gecko76

Anyone play Citadel on the school BBC computers? The keys were handily colour coded to match crisp flavours.

a11y

In a similar vein of flavours changing, has anyone else noticed the change in full-fat Pepsi? As of March they replaced a chunk of sugar with sweeteners (Acesulfame K, Sucralose). Not a fan of the sweetner taste so it’s strictly Coca-Cola for me now.

big_scot_nanny

No, you are all wrong. Amazingly, the best, most moreish, most delicious, shouldn’t-really-be-thinking-about-them-before-lunch S&V crisps are from Switzerland.

Gawd, I think this is the only thing I actually miss about living there!

monkeyboyjc

I completely stopped selling walkers about 3 years ago, when the dedicated production to supermarkets during COVID.

Benchmark crisps are now (yes they do salt & vinegar):

binners

I really want some disco’s now

I know I’ve mentioned this in the past, but if you’ve ever got an afternoon free and you’re bored and peckish, can I recommend doing a World Cup of Crisps. This genius idea was the brainchild of my mate Spencey.

Everyone selects their favourite crisps for them to qualify, then off you go to Tesco to stock up. The names go into a hat and are pulled out, FA Cup draw style, to compete in play offs against each other, then through to quarters, semi’s, then final.

Points are awarded for flavour, texture and crisp butty potential, but feel free to add your own criteria. The playoff style can result in some brutal ‘group of death’ ties while other lesser flavours get an easy ride (like England at the last World Cup).

As crisps are by their nature quite dry, plenty of liquid refreshment is needed as an accompaniment

Mister-P
    Free Member

My mouth hurts just thinking about Discos. But in a good way.

binners

Disco’s are bloody great, but another honourable mention for extreme sat’n’vinegeryness also goes to

Speeder

great shout on Discos and Chipsticks – I do love a strong S&V. Honourable mention goes out to Pringles on that front – not that they’re crisps – more pure evil in a tin.

VanHalen

chipsticks are the absolute best!.

the only good thing about having kids is you get to buy them for the kids parties. i buy myself extra as you NEVER get leftovers.

i had some walkers s&v yesterday and i can definalty taste the balsamic so its not just the OP just tastes a bit chemical really. I`m a McCoys S&V man myself usually but had to go walkers as no McCoys were available within arms reach.

z1ppy

Yep, missus won’t eat Walker S&V any more, after bring her favorite for years. I pick up the Seabrook one’s for her, when Aldi have them on offer, though have recently started buying her McCoys, after having some at the pub for the first time in years & enjoying them. Those co-op ones are something else, in a good way, you can feel you lips chapping as you eat them.

Thankfully the god of crips, Walker’s Bacon remain the same.

binners

I’m just tucking into a crisp butty with S&V McCoys 😀

Speeder

binners

I’m just tucking into a crisp butty with S&V McCoys 😀

#whyIoughta ;o)

Harry_the_Spider

Now then, as a bit of a fan of the S&V crisp I have recently come to the opinion that the big bags of Aldi’s own brand pack a large amount of wallop for the £1.10 (or whatever it is) that they cost.

I feel that the McCoy tries a bit too hard and just a bit too thick for my liking. Also, they have a higher ratio of green and/or hairy bits than any other brand out there.

Seabrooke’s are too greasy.

Chipsticks stick to the roof of your mouth.

Discos are made from alien technology that I don’t fully understand.

Kettlechips have priced themselves out of the market. As have Tesco’s Finest.

fazzini

S&V Squares FTW – most marvellous in a butty too

Cougar

Seabrooks Lea and Perrin flavour – they are good !

Fun vegenematarian fact: Seabrooks L&P crisps are veggie friendly even though the sauce isn’t.

I really want some disco’s now

See… I like a robust-flavoured S&V crisp and Discos are right up there, but you get about four crisps in the bag.

chipsticks are the absolute best!.

The absolute bests are no longer made.

Exhibit 1: Marks & Spencers “Chiplets.” The ones I remember from shopping with my grandad in the 80s would pull the roof of your mouth off, their current offerings are OK but a pale imitation.

Exhibit 2: Nibb-it Wheelz, onion and vinegar flavour. They tasted like pickled onion Space Raiders sprinkled in battery acid, they were magnificent. “I think my cheeks are actually touching each other.”

fazzini

would pull the roof of your mouth off

Tesco S&V Twirls will do this too. The antidote is red wine 🙂

Speeder

Cougar

Exhibit 1: Marks & Spencers “Chiplets.” The ones I remember from shopping with my grandad in the 80s would pull the roof of your mouth off, their current offerings are OK but a pale imitation.

These sound like another of my all time favourite crisp thought hey sure as hell weren’t from anywhere as posh as M&S. They were tiny little chips about 3-4mm square and about 25mm long. It was pretty much a bag of bits and just as dellicious. I can’t even remember what flavour they came in though I’m assuimg S&V – they came out of the dispenser at (the old) Tewkesbury swimming pool. no idea what they were called. Chiplets almost sounds right but not completely.

Cougar

The Chiplets were essentially M&S’s take on Chipsticks, only really strongly flavoured (and nominally larger IIRC).

They sell what I think you’re describing at the shop round the corner, I’ll pick up a bag next time I’m in.

Rubber_Buccaneer

it’s even an FAQ on the Walkers website and they say:

What the Walkers FAQ should say is

‘Nah, you’re thinking of Golden Wonder. They used to have the S&V/C&O colours the CORRECT way around’

kayak23

@binners, I don’t want to cause any panic, but your friend with the blue nail polish there has opened their Wheat Crunchies at the wrong end of the packet! 😳

You might want to warn them to go carefully for a while as it’s terribly bad luck to do that obviously.

My gf is always doing it, and doesn’t even notice or care about the possible implications, but I guess I just have to accept that about her and go on with life.

I’ll tell you what else is a shadow of its former self.

Nice? Perhaps, but spicy they are not.

Also.

Speeder

@kayak that’s just your taste buds that have been dulled. Anyway the green NickNaks were always the best. ;o)

binners

I’ve just popped in to Aldi and noticed these, which look like a new addition to their crisps line up. Obviously I’ve grabbed some and shall report back on the salt and vinegaryness

Snide chipsticks

@kayak23
    – I’d never open a packet upside down myself, but to be fair to Spencey we’d opened A LOT of crisp packets that afternoon

And while we’re talking about Wheat Cruchies, whats happened to the Worcestor Sauce and Tomato Sauce flavours? Both top notch crisps! I can’t find them anywhere!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.