Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 237 total)
  • Viewranger replacement? Outdoor Active?
  • dufresneorama
    Free Member

Just got email from viewranger. Moving to outdoor active. App reviews don’t look good. I’ve just downloaded it, seems OK but not had a chance to use it out on the hills yet.

Anyone used it?

lucien

Just looked myself, as its also swallowed up the Mountpass.com stuff as well which I got on with well.  What I generally tend to do is download the GPX and convert into Komoot as of all the Apps that (for me) seems the most reliable.  Outdoor active website is quite poor in comparison to the Mountpass one, the search facility is not as good.

lotto
    Free Member

Oh bugger. I like Viewranger. Is operation to cease soon then?

frogstomp

Anything new in the email? No updates on social media..

Not overly impressed with the prospect of losing access to the Viewranger OS maps that I own (as far as I can see you can’t transfer them).

jam-bo

^^^

only reason I’ve stuck with viewranger is the tiles I ‘own’

guess an OS subscription beckons.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Here’s the email here:
    Viewranger Important Service Update

It’s transfered across my OS premium subscription so can access OS maps and all the routes I’ve had saved to viewranger. Can save offline maps too.

Actually, so far I’m liking playing round with the app. Hope to be out on mtb and walking this weekend so good opportunity to test it out.

dannybgoode

@dufresneorama – quick question. I emailed Viewranger a week or so ago and asked whether I could just hook in my OS maps sub and they said not (although they did offer me a 30% reduction but it looks like it’s a good job I didn’t take that!).

Are you saying that with Outdoor Active I can link to my OS sub now?

dufresneorama
    Free Member

@dannybgoode

My OS subscription is with viewranger. Doubt you’ll be able to link up your (OS) OS subscription with outdoor active, but maybe worth emailing outdoor active.

riddoch

If you had a viewranger subscription you get a years fee Pro+ that includes the OS maps. Apparently I signed up in October to link Viewranger and Outdoor active accounts and have no memory of doing that. I almost deleted the app today when clearing out some unused apps.

Looking at the pricing it’s seems £2.50 month would get you OS maps and some other stuff, so not they much different from OS direct.

tomd
    Free Member

Hopefully this doesn’t affect maps that have been bought and downloaded in Viewranger. I have the full UK OS 1:50 and bits of 1:25k that I’ve had amazing value from over the last 10 years. ANy thoughts?

thenorthwind

Is the Viewranger app actually being discontinued? I remember they merged a while ago and nothing changed.
    As a long time (8 years?) user with a premium subscription and a load of map packs and tiles from before that, I’ll be pretty cheesed off it it goes.

superfli
    Free Member

Hopefully this doesn’t affect maps that have been bought and downloaded in Viewranger. I have the full UK OS 1:50 and bits of 1:25k that I’ve had amazing value from over the last 10 years. ANy thoughts?

I just linked my account and can’t see my OS national parks. I bought these about 10 years ago too. Think we lose them 😟

tomd
    Free Member

https://outdooractive-uk.helpscoutdocs.com/article/74-faqs

This implies that lifetime maps will still be available “for now” in viewranger but it sounds like we will lose them. But there’s some sort of special gift whatever that is if you merge over.

Will my lifetime maps be available in the Outdooractive app?

No. For now, you can continue to use your lifetime maps in ViewRanger. ViewRanger users who own lifetime maps will receive a very special gift from Outdooractive, so be sure to check your email and Outdooractive app My Page. Outdooractive offers a huge variety of worldwide maps – up to date and right at your fingertips!

dufresneorama
    Free Member

I’ve been playing around with OA app and a actually quite liking it. It’s quite a bit simpler that VR though.

Biggest issues so far are no zoom in/out button. This forces you to pinch zoom but that’s pretty impossible with touchscreen gloves on. Also issue with not being able to change download location so that when I’m downloading offline maps (which I like to have for most of Scotland) they clog up my internal storage.

thenorthwind

Will my lifetime maps be available in the Outdooractive app?

No. For now, you can continue to use your lifetime maps in ViewRanger. ViewRanger users who own lifetime maps will receive a very special gift from Outdooractive, so be sure to check your email and Outdooractive app My Page. Outdooractive offers a huge variety of worldwide maps – up to date and right at your fingertips!

Haven’t even received an email to say they’re changing yet, which for a paying customer is pretty pants.

Biggest issues so far are no zoom in/out button. This forces you to pinch zoom but that’s pretty impossible with touchscreen gloves on. Also issue with not being able to change download location so that when I’m downloading offline maps (which I like to have for most of Scotland) they clog up my internal storage.

Will keep an pen mind about the OM app (not tried it yet) but both of those are huge problems for me. I use an Android phone as my primary GPS device so the lack of zoom buttons makes that very difficult when I’m wearing gloves (so 9 months of the year then). I guess having to store maps on the internal storage isn’t so bad since I’m using a 32gb device exclusively for navigation at the moment. I’ll have to swap maps in and out on my main phone though, and I like to have the maps on there as well as a backup, so that’s another thing I’ve got to sort out before a trip, rather than just downloading everything and forgetting about it.

jam-bo

Biggest issues so far are no zoom in/out button. This forces you to pinch zoom but that’s pretty impossible with touchscreen gloves on

double tap the screen to zoom in.

tap the screen with two fingers to zoom out.

at least on iOS that works across most apps.

luket

I’ve been on viewranger for years and have bought a fair few mapping tiles, so I have that sunk cost, however I’ve only really been an occasional user and my use has only really been for basic OS mapping and a bit of route planning, not live directions. I also use komoot but generally only on the road and the odd well mapped cycle way.

I haven’t got into the Outdoor Active app but am wondering whether the better decision for me now might be just to go to the OS app. Anything I’m missing?

ross980
    Free Member

Watching with interest. I bought my maps ages ago; full North of England in 1:50k (which I have to side load off a CD-ROM😳). Cost £50 from memory and even though I might have had my money’s worth, I’ll be annoyed if I lose access to them if the app is being retired. Esp as I have the maps on my main phone, tablet and my stem mounted ‘biking’ phone.

seosamh77
    Free Member

I just logged into have a look, gave me a pro subscription till september, which I think is just when my OS maps sub runs out on viewranger.

First impression is the map is better than viewranger, definitely quicker and smoother to move around the map. I’ll probably stick with it, as I don’t really use it for anything other than GPS location on an OS map, which this does well. I like the shadowed OS maps aswell and it’s easy to download and area for offline use.

Only other thing is I’ll need to see how it handles GPX files, but I’m sure that’ll be fine, will report if any issues.

seosamh77
    Free Member

jam-bo
    Biggest issues so far are no zoom in/out button. This forces you to pinch zoom but that’s pretty impossible with touchscreen gloves on

double tap the screen to zoom in.

tap the screen with two fingers to zoom out.

at least on iOS that works across most apps.

aye works on android too.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

As “life time maps owner” I got a free year sub.

I suppose I could just download the whole UK in 1:25k and 1:50k before that runs out if I wanted to and come out up in where I was.

nickjb
    Free Member

As “life time maps owner” I got a free year sub.

That is pretty poor. There’s quite a difference between lifetime and 1 year (hopefully)

I see they are just binning any unused credits too.

I’ve been a Viewranger fanboy for ages but this is all a bit annoying. I’m not a fan of subscription models but it seems to be creeping in everywhere now.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

There are no plans as yet to bin off the viewranger app are there? As for keeping them longer term, just download the maps and app to an old handset and leave it in aeroplane mode.

nickjb
    Free Member

Something like that will be my plan for now, hopefully just not updating the app will be enough. I got my old Nokia 5800 out in the summer to try it out as a bike GPS and Viewranger still worked on that with my downloaded maps.

frogstomp

I’ve bought various maps since 2007 but no subscription.. all I got offered was a 10 Euro discount off a yearly subscription.

EDIT : actually, my My Subscriptions page on the website says I do have a Lifetime subscription..

I suppose I could just download the whole UK in 1:25k and 1:50k before that runs out if I wanted to and come out up in where I was.

I would imagine it’ll be akin to a Spotify subscription whereby you only have access while the subscription is active.

As for keeping them longer term, just download the maps and app to an old handset and leave it in aeroplane mode.

Hopefully that should work… although, of course, you won’t be able to sync and follow routes.

Interestingly, if you go to the ViewRanger shop there are still a small handful of maps available.. so maybe it will carry on for some territories..?

thenorthwind

Had a little look at the Outdoor Active app earlier, though not much I can see without setting up an account/linking to VR. The fact that only OSM and not OCM is available in the free version (and maybe the premium version?) is already a let down.

Looking at the reviews on the Google Play Store, there are a lot of disgruntled ex-VR users who aren’t very impressed with OA. Some of those will no doubt be from people who just don’t like change, but my first impressions aren’t great either. The VR app has an average review of 4.3 stars which is pretty good, with 5m+ installs, whereas OA has 3.9, with 1m+ installs. Can’t help but wonder why they didn’t can OA and focus on VR?

Seems like the best thing to do for me is to continue using VR without updates til it dies a death, and hope OA is better by then. I have maps I bought outright, which have been as bit irrelevant since I’ve been a subscriber, but will hopefully still work and be useful now. They cover most of what I will need, and I’ve probably got my money’s worth.

Just noticed my VR subscription is due for renewal on the 17th – guess I should probably cancel that!

If I was looking at new mapping app, not having bought into anything before, I’d probably go for OS Maps at this point.

thenorthwind

Well, this is going well. Followed the “connect your account” link to connect by VR account to OA. It says it’s connected, just log in to OA. On the app I click “connect with VR” and it says “error, if you’ve already connected your account, just log in”. Tried to log in, says wrong password, same password works on VR.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

I had to set a new password I think.

I’ve been playing around with the app for a couple of days and whilst it is smoother than VR to use, there are some major issues that concern me. It often just blacks out. App is still there and working, but the map layer is just blacked out. Happened a few times now. With open maps and OS.

Also maps that I’ve downloaded for offline use sometimes just don’t appear. They’re in the list, but no tick beside them indicating they haven’t been downloaded… They were downloaded, I know because it took **** ages to download them!

I’m emailing support re all these issues.

My VR sub is up on the 27th…I’m tempted to cancel, but if I could get another year out of VR I’d be happy. Not sure about moving to OS maps app.. Reviews aren’t great either.

Wonder if I can unlink my account android continue with VR

thenorthwind

Yeah, that’s pretty worrying, particularly the first one. Whilst I will always have a backup paper map if I’m going somewhere I could get into trouble getting lost, there are definitely times where the map suddenly disappearing would be seriously inconvenient.

I’m tempted to cancel, but if I could get another year out of VR I’d be happy.

Hmm, hadn’t considered that, that would be useful if it worked.

Yeah, haven’t heard great things about the OS app, but might be the lesser of two evils?

luket

Although from a consumer perspective I’m not keen on having £26 p.a. (to use the OS Maps price as an example) subscriptions for more than a tiny handful of things I’d use very often, it’s a stark illustration of the commercial reality the provider faces. I’ve probably only spent that much with VR over a number of years giving me full OS mapping for every area I want an OS map while riding, which covers various corners of the UK, forever (ish). And that spend would’ve mostly been a long time ago. So in recent years it’s pretty clear that viewranger hasn’t made any money out of providing me with this service I’m now thinking is quite useful and worth paying for. So looking at the sunk cost for me I don’t think I begrudge them making this change even though it’s to my detriment.

Not sure I really need the OS Maps app at premium price though, and I’m not sure the free version offers me anything I wouldn’t just go to komoot for. So I think I’ll just defer the decision for now and next time I really want OS mapping I’ll shell out the sub.

Would be interesting if Strava bought an OS based mapping and route planning app and merged the two offerings.

Poopscoop

Ha.

Well this is all news to be. I don’t use VR often but when I do it’s very handy.😕

budgierider67

I’ve still got over a fiver in unused tile credits. It doesn’t look like you can refund them.

Poopscoop

What’s the story here?

VR bought out by a bigger company but bigger company wants to use their own inferior app?

thenorthwind

@luket Thing is, Viewranger has offered a similar subscription model for 2-3 years now. Maybe there aren’t enough users taking that up to make it viable, but taking away the app to force people onto a subscription model on another one is just throwing the baby out with the bathwater. I don’t think that’s the reason though.

@budgierider67
    Yeah, that’s annoying. I have about 300 credits – no idea what that’s worth. They haven’t really been worth that much to me with the subscription model, but if that goes…

Looks like it @Poopscoop. Don’t know anything about OA, German company by the looks.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’m happy to pay 39p a week for Ordnance survey subscription, seems very little for what it gives me. The apps not perfect, but it works well for what I use it for.

I wish there was a way of allowing me to use the maps on my old GPS, hey ho.

thenorthwind

@Nobeerinthefridge that’s what I was paying for access to OS data via VR. Happy to pay that, or more (OA is £27pa), but I want to access it in a reliable, user-friendly app, preferably the one I’ve already got and am familiar with. I haven’t heard great things about the OS app (nor the OS’ record of refusing to honour historic data purchases), though it sounds better than OA possibly.

Drac

I’ve still not received and email from them.

scotroutes

Many years ago I bought the OS map set for Anquet. That arrived on CDs and was a one-time purchase at £200. No updates. I did eventually have to write it off. Again the maps were in a proprietary format so couldn’t be transferred to any other application.

I’ve used the Ordnance Survey app since it was first available. It’s by no means perfect. Some of the function only works on IOS, it only does routing in National Parks, there are limits on Waypoint numbers. Other than that, I’ve been very glad to have it on my phone, especially as I also have a few sheets downloaded for offline use. If you travel around much, the cost soon becomes less than the acquisition of updated paper maps.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Anquet do a monthly subscription too, no idea if the app is any good.

One issue that’s annoying on OS app is that it doesn’t keep your position central on the screen, need to keep centering, does IOS do this Colin?. Noticed recently that NI isn’t covered on app either.

As for not honouring purchases, well it looks like no one does by the looks of this thread.

scotroutes

Yeah, Anquet also went through a complete change a few years back. There was an upgrade offer but existing maps were unusable. That’s when I bowed out.

I’m Android so don’t get some of the OS app features. Of course, I don’t get a reduced subscription as a result either. 😐

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 237 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.