• This topic has 52 replies, 32 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by uggski.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Van Track World
  • mikehow
    Free Member

Hey up

After following the standard STW advice on kitchens with great results, I’m now returning to seek the conventional wisdom on vans and best buys at the moment.

Currently looking for a van to ferry bikes, surf boards and wing foiling kit, with the occasional night dossing in the van every now and then.

I’ve currently got an Audi A4 Estate which I bought in a different lifetime pre-covid where I was travelling a lot for work and needed something comfortable for driving long distances.

Post covid, I now work remotely and perhaps drive my car once a week, the majority of the time its used for trips away and is generally packed to the gunnels with kit.

Current car is worth around £11K but looking around at van prices doesn’t look like thats going to go very far.

Ideally I’d like to come away from the switch cost neutral in terms of not dumping too much extra cash in, so that prices me out of transporters etc.

Berlingo is probably too small to fit a 9ft longboard in.

Guessing conventional wisdom is something like a Vivaro/Traffic or Primstar?

Or should I just hold for another year and see where van prices settle? Guessing electric is going to skew the market over the next 18months to 2 years.

weeksy

I’m trying the same and going between a Doblo van, Nissan NV200 and a Transit custom.

I drove a Transit Custom this time last week, it was a lovely drive.. but a 14 plate and 136,000 miles for £10,500.
    I’m struggling to justify nearly £11,000 on a 14 with that many miles, but that is the market price… I can’t see it dropping/changing much in honesty.

My problem also comes with ‘upkeep’ and speaking to guys at races or trackdays it seems it’s impossible to find vans that haven’t been spendy in their ownership, injector, clutch, etc… £1000 here or there…but how I’d get around that i have no idea.

RustyNissanPrairie

I’ve been through similar thought process as my LWB Transit finally rusted to death during Covid. I’ve firmly turned away from vans as the cost/condition/mileage just doesn’t stack up at the moment.
    I bought an old Peugeot Partner / Berlingo Multispace to clack about in till van prices settle back down but to be honest it’s a great little car/van that Ive now really taken to. Good Facebook group for micro/stealth campers.
    Was mint condition compared to knocked about vans.

mikehow
    Free Member

Yep Transit Custom was one of my early considerations, but I’d had similar feedback in terms of them being pretty unreliable/spendy.

Partner/Berlingo are definitely something I’ve thought about, ideally I want to get all my kit in the van rather than messing around with roof racks for surf boards etc.

As some of you have said, really struggling to get my head around current van prices.

There is a garage near to where we live, pre-covid he struggled to shift a couple of vans every month, not he’s got a new set of vans in everytime I walk past. Mental.

piemonster

As an aside, I realised yesterday my van is one of the oldest (11 plate) I see locally that isn’t a campervan conversion. (Its really a daily vehicle)

Which, considering what other vans look like of near that vintage, decaying heaps of rust, is unnerving.

Whatever you buy, have a bloody good poke around, find out where the rust points will be and check them thoroughly. Or like my friend was told yesterday (another 11 plate) “your van is ****ed, theres more welding needed than it has value”.

VanHalen

I`ve a 13 plate LWB crewcab vivaro and its been great. Its not great on mileage (33MPG) but its a great hulking beast and will easily fit 5 bikes and people inside and still do 33 mpg. I can also sleep in it.

if i was going to upgrade to a newer, more efficient van, i`d get another LWB crewcab traffic/vivaro. The tranits look nice but can be abit unreliable apparently and the VW tax makes buying one of them just stupid (although they are lovely!)

my vivaro doesnt look rusty yet!

weeksy

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284877891608?hash=item42540ba818:g:-A8AAOSwxF5ifyuP&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoHp4WdqYrAyqqZ43Byxxa98tsDmbk5YhxWg4cSoH2w8qf%2F8IpPzmn7wH4f4b3moeFXFMesT2swlMfhMrofqZ%2FNz6GHJWwcccQ7t4aZlcxiCYQnG7XxVFGEoDqYOSmlqZMrCfHzuoNXrveCtFyGsEJcit6Sl8unb3TCFft%2BdkalqF%2BYbbDp0p0M0ZqtN0VS6jzzV3WyUANH66tSdXr%2B40bcI%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR-iQ9o_AYA

There’s loads of these on Ebay/Trader. Ex-fleet. Got to be some room for negotiation in them.

I’ve made a plan to keep the Qashqai until we go to Les Gets in Aug, then come back and hire a Doblo for the weekend, it’s only £100 for weekend, then use that for a race meeting and see if it actually does what i want rather than jumping in there and risking a swap without fully knowing.

simon_g

Pretty sure higher spec B9 Berlingos had the folding front passenger seat, assuming it’s just you and some kit. Plenty of pre-built options for mini camper conversions too.

Here is where I do my usual suggestion though – look at the japanese import MPVs – Alphard, Elgrand, Noah/Voxy, Stepwgn, Serena. You can get something really nice for £10k, go petrol and 2007 or later and it’s compliant with all the ULEZ and clean air zones, japanese petrol engines are generally bulletproof and if you’re not doing huge miles then mpg isn’t a huge concern.

weeksy

Stepwagons are SO on my list…. but i worry about ground clearance. They seem to not have a lot of that and with some of the trails we head to, i worry the ground clearance could be an issue… but the Stepwagon is a lovely thing.

maccruiskeen

As some of you have said, really struggling to get my head around current van prices.

they’re insane at present and the only reason anyone would be selling one is because its gubbed. Was looking for a van at aroind the same price point and went to a pretty big used van dealer just to see what my money would buy…. a whole lot of neglected crap basically. They had 150 vans on the forecourt – not one without sizeable dents, about 40% had a hole stabbed in them somewhere. But that was all they could get to sell.

Vans are tools for making money for me but never spent more that £5k on a van previously (and on occasions I’ve only spent £350 on one) and I’ve never bought anything as poor as stuff on offer for £10k – £20k on that forecourt

As much as it goes against my principles I bought an new one for £35k instead, the economics of used vans just don’t make any sense.

maccruiskeen

I bought an old Peugeot Partner / Berlingo Multispace to clack about in till van prices settle back down

I’ve got one thats the spitting image of yours that I’m sparing no expense in keeping on the road as theres a really fond attachment to it for my mum who has dementia (used to be my dads car) so, frankly,  it has to outlast her as basically that car and drive-thru mcflurry’s are how the two of us maintain a connection.  But aside from that sentimental attachment they’re just ace cars and I don’t think they are bettered by the later models. I think you got yours for a song but I’ve seen ones older than mine (08 plate) with a £4k asking price recently, so I’m happy to keep paying to keep it on the road because I wouldn’t be able to get anything remotely like it for a sensible price just now

5lab

I can get my 8′ board in my gt86, I’d be surprised if the berlingo isn’t longer. Is any of the latest generation (which have xl wheelbase) available in budget?

northernmatt

Another vote for Berlingo/Partner multispace here. Whip the rear seats out and you can get a double airbed in plus whatever else you need. Bikes go in without taking the wheels off. I don’t think your 9ft board would be an issue.

You should be able get a decent one for with low miles for well below your budget which leaves money for beer/C&H.

bjhedley

Can recommend the Vivaro’s. I bought mine last year, 98k miles, 60 reg for £4k. I’ve had the suspension bushings and and clutch master cylinder done, but other than that been pretty maintenance free. I figured the price difference between that and a transporter meant I could blow the engine/gearbox up and get it replaced with a recon and still have spent less, VW’s are silly money and no more reliable.

Since converting it, I’ve driven it to Devon & Conrwall from Aberdeenshire, and all around Scotland. Easy to drive, not awful on fuel (a tank gets you 600 ish miles). Fits bikes and surfboards. Best thing I’ve ever bought.

Bought mine of Facebook marketplace – the MOT checker really helps establish the history. AS long as you try and check the injectors aren’t rusted to buggery, all should be fine. If you live a ULEZ, there should be some non-Euro5 vans hitting the market soon.

maccruiskeen

think your 9ft board would be an issue.

You should qualify that advice with a tape measure 🙂 Mines not outside just now for me to check. You can squeeze a lot in there but I don’t think you’d get 9ft between the tailgate and the windscreen

zilog6128

My problem also comes with ‘upkeep’ and speaking to guys at races or trackdays it seems it’s impossible to find vans that haven’t been spendy in their ownership, injector, clutch, etc… £1000 here or there…but how I’d get around that i have no idea.

I’m probably going to really regret this as I’m jinxing myself, but my 2013 Custom has been very reliable, not let me down yet or needed anything major done. Don’t do mega miles though, still only just over 100k. It’s the older Euro-5 engine which by all accounts is a bit more reliable than the newer one! (That said, at work we also have a 2017 Euro-6 which has also been no bother, touch wood 😃)

Having said that, I probably wouldn’t buy an older one with high miles, you just don’t know how well it’s been looked after (or not).

trail_rat
    Free Member

You should qualify that advice with a tape measure 🙂 Mines not outside just now for me to check. You can squeeze a lot in there but I don’t think you’d get 9ft between the tailgate and the windscreen

Maybe in the lwb van you’d have more chance.

My 10’6board is about 3 feet from fitting in a regular length one

maccruiskeen

Maybe in the lwb van you’d have more chance.

The LWB is actually only 9″ longer that the SWB for the 2008-2019 models – theres a bigger difference in the newest models. With those new vans the seat mounts / seatbelts are integrated into the bulkhead in the van version which would prevent camper / day van users taking it out.

I’d not make ‘fitting a surfboard inside’ a consideration, the loadspace in a standard  Custom or T5 is only 8ft so you’ve be intruding into the passenger space or having to pack it on some awkward diagonal  even with a van of that size. Surfboards are pretty much the perfect thing to stick on a rood rack – just for looking cool if nothing else.

mikehow
    Free Member

Glad to hear its not just me being a tightwad!

I’ll try and track down a Berlingo LWB for a bit more of a look.

Any info of Citreon Dispatch? Are they generally considered alright?

peteza
    Free Member

AFAIK all 3-seat Berlingos/Partners etc have passenger seats that fold flat to the floor and a bulkhead that folds out of the way. You could also just remove the bulkhead. Whether a 9-foot board would fit in a standard berlingo I don’t know, but I suspect if it did you’d not be able to see out of the window/use the mirror.

A LWB with the folding seat/bulkhead would work I think.

bigsurfer
    Free Member

It actually takes quite a big Van to get a longboard inside without coming into the front seating area. SWB vivaro with a bulk head behaind the drivers seats could only squeeze a 9’6″ longboard going inbetween the passenger seat structure with a cut out in the bulkhead.

I can actually get a 10′ longboard in both a saloon and an estate Mk1 octavia between the windscreen and the the boot with the front and rear seat folded down.

sharkattack

I bought a van recently and got quite lucky I think but I was absolutely sick of looking. I knew exactly what I wanted so I set up saved searches on ebay and looked for new stuff every day. As soon as I saw something that fit the bill I jumped on it. It was a trade in at a dealer who doesn’t really deal in used vehicles so they just wanted rid of it.

It’s a Peugeot Boxer L1H1. It’s not much longer than an estate car and almost fits in a regular parking space but it’s much bigger inside that a Vivaro or Transporter equivalent.

It drives really well but I haven’t been very far yet. It’s also just an empty panel van so fitting seats and windows will be a nice winter project.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I’ll curse myself too but coming up to 8 years with my T5 (2011, 2.0 CR single turbo 5 speed but mapped) and in that time, outside of routine servicing its cost me a driveshaft and recently a clutch, DMF and new EGR valve which was a bit spendy but the first big bill I’ve had (and it just so happened that the EGR and clutch/DMF coincided with each other.

Is a Caddy Maxi big enough for your needs? Loads of them around for decent money – was tempted myself recently but bought an estate instead…

weeksy

its cost me a driveshaft and recently a clutch, DMF and new EGR valve

How much was that little lot ?

northernmatt

3 metres/9ft 10in between windscreen and tailgate in a straight line. Passenger seat back can be folded near enough flat and OP would probably not have rear seats in so the board probably wouldn’t be flat anyway. Ours isn’t the LWB one.

Just had a look and there a 12 plate multispace with 36k miles on for £8k, there’s a 14 plate van for £8k which has 95k miles. I know which one I’d be buying.

doubleu
    Free Member

Just to throw in my 2p’s worth – owned a Trafic for nearly 5 years now and I’ve had two major bills during this time, one was for a recon gearbox (known roller bearing issue with the PF6 gearbox) and the second was for a replacement injector. The injector wouldn’t have been too bad if it wasn’t seized in solid. In my view the reliability of vans is proportionate to cars, its the cost to fix van’s that seems to be a little more expensive.

I reckon you either get a ‘proper’ sized van, or stick with the A4 estate. You mentioned you have lots of kit, a berlingo might give you a little more space, but its still going to be packed and not as nice to be in / drive as your Audi…..

thecaptain
    Free Member

You can have my vivaro for 4k when I get the E-van (which may be a year). 120k 12-plate and drives perfectly. Currently ferrying a tandem, two cats, three people and various stuff up to Scotland for a week…though not sleeping in it this time 🙂

Yak

weeksy:

its cost me a driveshaft and recently a clutch, DMF and new EGR valve

I have a 150k mile t5, and yeah, lots needs doing. Need to keep a spare £1k for stuff per year I reckon for servicing, consumables and small parts replacement. Big jobs are upwards of another £1k. Mine now needs a new exhaust manifold, which is expensive and a long job due possible studs needing replacement too.

So it’s really expensive and I often think of getting rid of it. But then what could I get? Probably not a lot right now, so the costs get swallowed.

olddog

I’ve got a 64 Trafic. Can fit in a 9 6 longboard but only because there is a lift up flap in the bulkhead and can slide the nose if the board into that, still secure from the front as the extra space is boxed in from the cab. In terms of ownership I’ve had since new (technically nearly as it was pre registered but only had 10 miles on the clock). I’ve had zero issues with mine – but low mileage – 40k – partly because of very low use under Covid.

But when I bought the dealers were offering huge deals on vans – I got mine for £14k ( including VAT) – basically more than a 1/3 off list. Those deals are ancient history – and looking at auto trader the equivalent van with low mileage same age is approaching the price I paid new.

I’m not sure I’d be stumping up full list for a new one or inflated price for 2nd hand at the moment unless I really had to.

The other thing to watch is low emission vines springing up across the country – one just down the road in Bradford about to go live.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Clutch, DMF and EGR was £1700 but given its done nearly 8 years of hassle free motoring I didn’t think that was too bad. Could have done the EGR myself and saved a few hundred quid but its a ballache to get to on the CR engines so thought I may as well just get the garage to do it whilst they’re at it.

Driveshafts are mega $$ new via VW. Something stupid like £600 each (or £40 from a breakers from a low mileage van and an hour on the driveway to swap them).

halifaxpete

Works got a 13plate Vivaro Sportive, its been a good reliable van AFAIK. Drives well too barring the collapsed seat so you always sit on the lean! Heard the injectors can be an issue with them though. Personally I drive a SWB Caddy but can’t really recommend them as they’re silly money and too small TBH (Bike only just goes in the back corner to corner!)

mav12
    Free Member

any views on a mk8 transit I am looking at a camper conversion 2014 plate with 85k reasonable price , but I keep thinking I may be buying a load of problems

mikertroid
    Free Member

I’ve got a 64 Trafic. Can fit in a 9 6 longboard but only because there is a lift up flap in the bulkhead and can slide the nose if the board into that, still secure from the front as the extra space is boxed in from the cab.

I got my 9’2 in my ’17 trafic by flipping the middle seat and resting the nose of the board on that….I’ve only kept the lower half of the bulkhead in. Hadn’t thought of using the lower hatch!!

Only done 2k miles in mine (40k on clock at purchase)….it had been in storage for 2 years so had a few scary emissions warnings after 300 miles which alarmed me, but those have all gone now its had some good runs.
    Put a Flettner slimline vent in for stealth camping purposes. Just pimped the wheels and got a reconditioned steering wheel off ebay as the standard one was awful! Will probably re-line and insulate later in year. I’ll also get it chipped soon too.
    I’ve got Disc-O-bed bunk beds, so 2 of us can stay overnight with 2 bikes in back. Normally it’s just me and bike/boards.
    Portaloo has been AMAZING to have!!

Might look at the internal bike racks soon.

Really pleased with it, having owned a T25,a few T4s and a T5 previously. It’s got a few v minor scuffs, which is better than worrying about a mint van in crammed beach car parks etc.

z1ppy

mikehow
    Any info of Citreon Dispatch? Are they generally considered alright?

+1
    This size van has caught my eye, has no one an opinion on them?

tthew

I had the old shape one, 1.6 Hdi. It was OK, bog basic but never let me down between 50k and 115k miles, was getting tired at 10 years old though.

Only expensive repair was a recon steering rack due to a leak. Good comfortable seat and driving position, 45mpg if driven sensibly. I gave it an oil change every 10k miles due to the turbo issues, but easy to DIY. Would have liked the 2.0 but they’re not common. Galvanized so no rust. The knocking from the front is anti roll bar bushes, you can/could get a kit or its the whole bar from PSA and you have to drop the sub frame to replace it.

I think that’s all the good/bad stuff covered!

z1ppy

👍 cheers

ampthill

Loving my Peugeot partner (Berlingo)

There a few variations. We ended up with 115hp, blue tooth and 3 independently removable seats. I’d rather drive it than a car. I like the upright slightly higher driving position. It goes as fast as I need it to. A few weeks ago, with 1 seat out, 2 gravel bikes went in wheels on. My fs 29er goes in the same place wheels on.

If you need all 5 seats it’s less good for bikes

The next one will be a bigger van for camper conversion. But the newer long wheel base one would be my ultimate family car

In terms of long boards, our previous car, a long wheel base scenic was a lot longer. Gear space was similar as the roof is lower. But it had similar flexible seating. Reliability was horrible

The Peugeot has gone from 18000 to 88000 on tyres and oil

mikertroid
    Free Member

The Vivaro/Dispatch/Expert drives well, is well rated, but isn’t necessary the most reliable, but all makes have their own issues, to be fair. VW T4s were probably the best in terms of reliability in my experience, but the inferior T5s and T6s sell like hot cakes still….

I was going to buy a new LWB dispatch, but bought a 5 yr old SWB Trafic as a stop-gap, however the cargo area seems much better in my Trafic. I think it’ll be replaced with a LWB Trafic in 2-3 years as I’m so impressed with it.

This latest experience has shown me new things like I assumed I needed a tailgate as that’s what I’ve always had in vans, however I’m finding barn doors so much better in terms of privacy and loading my kayak on top, yet been able to open the doors fully. Every day is a school day.

weeksy

https://www.autopointcarsales.co.uk/used/vans/peugeot-expert-hdi-1000-l1h1-professional-10295/

This ‘Expert’ came up and is being considered here… I may go and view/buy today.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.