• This topic has 25 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by lunge.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Unicycles, a beginner one for Xmas. Talk to me please.
  • gnusmas

I am thinking of getting Alex an unicycle for Xmas but not sure where to start. He’s 16 and 5’9″ if that makes a difference. Don’t want anything too expensive, price might be the reason I won’t get him one. He’s mentioned them a few times and watches videos of them online so he’s interested. It might get him off his phone and actually doing something, that and it will possibly give me a laugh or two.

Help!

lunge

@gnusmas
    If you can get to the West Midlands I have one you can have for free, needs some pedals though I think. I got bought it for my birthday a few years ago and I reckon the wheel has turned under 100 times.
    With a bit of elbow grease I reckon it’d come up like new.

gnusmas

@lunge sounds perfect, thank you very much for the offer. Unfortunately I’m down in Carmarthen and with everything happening with the 4 of them in school leading up to Xmas I don’t think I’d be able to get up to you. Thanks again though.

lunge

@gnusmas
    Hmm, let me have a think.
    I’d post it but it’s heavy and awkward (not unlike me in fact…) so not sure that’s viable.
    Do you ever head east much?

Paging the rest of STW, anyone heading west any time soon?

z1ppy

don’t forget the juggling balls to go with it!

I have a lidl one, and have never mastered it due to a lack of trying (check ebay for one of those, as it is quite decent). What I would say is unicycle.co.uk are very helpful and stopped my buying stuff I didn’t need

CraigW
    Free Member

Decent range here, including some good value beginner models: https://www.unicycle.co.uk/

A 20″ or 24″ is probably best to start with. Depends on inside leg measurement, may need to cut down the seatpost. 20″ is usually best for doing tricks, or riding indoors. 24″ is better for rougher ground or going faster, though will need a bit more space for practicing.

project
    Free Member

got one in the garage and still trying to master the beast,but have seen a few older chaps on large wheel ones with handlebars and a brake lever, but theyre always going quite fast to stop and chat, need some easy to follow instruction on how to get started. .

gnusmas

@lunge

Do you ever head east much?

Not normally but can make a trip if it makes it easier. Cardiff is an hour ish away from here and could do there and back while they are all in school, depending if there’s something on would dictate the days free though. Thankyou again for the offer, I was only asking for information and some help, very kind of you to offer one and it is really appreciated.

Regarding his size, he has a 31″ inside leg measurement.

nickjb
    Free Member

Id go for a 20″. It’s the best to learn on and can be used for freestyle tricks, light trials or hockey if he gets into it. Unicycle.com (linked above) is the best place for a new one. Their club unicycle is pretty good to start on. There’s an active club in Cardiff on Sunday evening if he wants a few tips or other people to ride with. Friendly bunch.

lunge

@gnusmas, I think I’m going to struggle to get it to you in truth, Cardiff is a good distance from Birmingham!
    Sorry I can help more.

theotherjonv

hang on, we don’t give up that easily.

If we can get the Gnusmobile from Scotland to Wales via a series of ridiculous relays, I’m sure I’ve got a tenner to start off the train fare fund. My only stipulation is that it has to be ridden for at least part of every leg of the journey – ideally the whole leg but that’s a bit excessive!!

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I’m in the Midlands and overdue (and some) for a visit to Gnusville.

PM me if ok, Lunge and Gnusmas, I’ll get things moving if required

big_scot_nanny

Brilliant idea, that is Christmas for my nephew sorted!

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Gnunicycle gnupdate. Car sorted and roadworthy, respite care sorted for two days. Welsh Odyssey is go. It’s all go!! Check yr inboxes pls gents, need to finalise 🙂

robcolliver
    Free Member

Hmmm, hatching a plan for something daft to do on a unicycle next year….. and the idea didn’t even come to me in a pub this time!

MaryHinge
    Free Member

@robcolliver – you fitting some tri bars?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

you fitting some tri bars?

😂. Wait…

robcolliver
    Free Member

Close – it needs a disk brake too.

Looks like 135mm cranks so its darn close!

Always wanted a 36er before they become mainstream.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Ok this no-pedals malarkey is getting strugglesome. Won’t admit defeat. Through the Valley of the Gnights that say Gnu!

Currently keeping me aberaeroff so should be parking the gnunicycle in it’s proper place right soon. Gnusmas, we’re going for a beer mkeh…but forget googlenav in half of wales! I’m guessing the route 🤣🤪

gnusmas

Malvern rider appeared Monday evening, unicycle in hand. Had a couple of beers with him and had a good chat til the early hours.

What can I say, the unicycle went down much better than expected. Will be putting pedals on it in a bit, but he’s already been on it trying to get his balance. More pics to follow once he gets it outside.

Massive thankyou to @lunge for the unicycle and @malvern rider for making a stupidly long journey to bring it here.

lunge

@gnusmas, that pic has made my Christmas. That’s bloody brilliant. Wishing you and yours a very, merry Christmas.

Swirly
    Free Member

They’re a tricky beast to master.

He’ll need determination. Fortunately he has youth on his side.

My top tip is practise a little every day, aim for one pedal revolution and gradually increase.

Practising in a corridor is good with nothing to ****t yourself on. Kitchen not ideal ;o)

Duct tape on both ends of the saddle as it’ll get ripped up with bashing on the ground. Eventually you’ll learn to grab it as you dismount.

Don’t give up! It’s like riding a bike once you’ve learnt ;o)

gnusmas

He’s getting a bit of practice in and really enjoying the challenge. He’s surprised himself with how well hes doing and we’ve had no major offs or injuries. Yet.

phiiiiil

That’s epic, good on him for keeping on keeping on.

Two things that come to mind; it’s all about keeping the unicycle underneath you, rather than you on top of the unicycle; and while it is blummin’ hard work on your knees to start with, it will get a lot easier as you improve, relax and learn to sit down more.

I haven’t ridden mine in ages but I remember how awesome it was when I first learned to ride pretty much indefinitely in a straight line; it gets a lot easier once you pass that first hurdle.

jobless
    Free Member

He’ll be doing tricks before new year.

BUT one thing i discovered about Unicycles – its not like riding a bike. You CAN forget how to ride them. Turns out after 20 years of not riding, you are right back at the start. Who knew?

lunge

That’s awesome, great to see him getting into it.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Unicycles, a beginner one for Xmas. Talk to me please.’ is closed to new replies.