Home Forums Chat Forum Ukraine

• This topic has 19,742 replies, 535 voices, and was last updated 1 day ago by kimbers.
Viewing 40 posts - 3,001 through 3,040 (of 19,744 total)
  • Ukraine
  • the-muffin-man

I had a Bowie knife and Black Widow catapult in the 70s – the weapons of choice for any kid of that era. Did 10m match air rifle shooting for many years too. I’m General material! 🔫💪😀

lightfighter762
    Free Member

Seems like it. Hope you kept that air rifle.

So jealous, I just had an old Army issue clasp knife.

Making a video for social media in a warzone can be hazardous to your health!

**No blood, gore or physical violence, just a very shaken but lucky bloke**

the-muffin-man

Sold it for a new carpet when we got married – needed the cash! 🤣

matt_outandabout

Admiral Matt_oab

We’re merchant navy, nothing over captain here. I don’t like to overstate my credentials.

lightfighter762
    Free Member

That is really sweet

Sold it for a new carpet when we got married – needed the cash! 🤣

andrewh
    Free Member

With regards those old biplane…

Although designed primarily for crop-dusting, the An-2 proved to be a highly adaptable aircraft for both civilian and military operators

Chemical attacks?
    I was never in the airforce nor a Chemical warfare unit but I have watched some videos on youtube

molgrips
    Free Member

I played F16 combat pilot a lot on my Atari ST.

I say that as a joke but what I learned in that game and subsequent flight sims does actually help me understand the air combat stuff a bit better!

spekkie
    Free Member

Re the Russian spokesman lying through his teeth . . . remember the Iraqi “information minister” telling his army and the world that the western forces were “nothing to worry about”, while you could hear bombs landing outside and dust was falling (war movie style) from the ceiling of the bunker he was in….

lightfighter762
    Free Member

I played delta force 1 on my PC. That prepared me for most missions.

Whatever happened to the Iraqi information minister anyway? LOL.

Comical Ali? He was hilarious.

Then he got hung.
    No he didn’t!

mashr

I hadn’t even considered the older part of the CV with F-117 Nighthawk. I was even able to use that jet for air to air missions I’ll have you know

dantsw13

Ex military aviator. Operated in Iraq,Afghan,Sierra Leone, Balkans, East Timor.

No idea what the army get up to once I threw them out of the back!

One guy I play cricket with is a Russian Speaking Film Journo currently out there in Ukraine. Also my cycling buddy has a Ukrainian wife, whose parents are in Crimea, plus lots of friends/relatives all over the country.

timbog160
    Free Member

Comical Ali you’re thinking of. Chemical Ali was someone entirely different and much more sinister. Comical Ali survived and now lives a quiet retirement in the UAE.

Lord Flashheart, is that you?

Ex military aviator. Operated in Iraq,Afghan,Sierra Leone, Balkans, East Timor.

No idea what the army get up to once I threw them out of the back!

One guy I play cricket with is a Russian Speaking Film Journo currently out there in Ukraine. Also my cycling buddy has a Ukrainian wife, whose parents are in Crimea, plus lots of friends/relatives all over the country

Oh yeah, haha. Well at least the horrible turd got his comeuppance. Is the other one working in PR?

Thanks for the correction.

Comical Ali you’re thinking of. Chemical Ali was someone entirely different and much more sinister. Comical Ali survived and now lives a quiet retirement in the UAE.

scratch
    Free Member

Experience? Oh yes, you name it, not only have I seen the film Top Gun 6 times, I’ve also built a 1:72 scale Avro Vulcan

lightfighter762
    Free Member

The only movie I watch is hotshots 1

finephilly
    Free Member

Well my prediction of 3 days and out was all wrong!

blokeuptheroad

Former ammunition technical officer spending much of my career in counter terrorist IEDD and weapons intelligence.  Now retired and watching day time TV.  My CV is not especially useful at this stage of the conflict, but I have a few top tips for the yellow and blue team when they enter the insurgency phase.

lightfighter762
    Free Member

You will be busy when this is over

CountZero

Well, I never expected to see this, but a Tory MP has used Parliamentary privilege to name London lawyers working on behalf of Russian oligarchs and the Russian regime.

https://abovethelaw.com/2022/03/going-ahead-and-naming-names-of-lawyers-working-for-russian-regime/

I remember reading my dad’s old notebooks and aide memoires as a kid. He was RE EOD way back when for a bit, grew up mostly in germany when he went armoured. Learnt a lot about the things that went bang from him, but I was more interested in the armour if I was honest.

Former ammunition technical officer spending much of my career in counter terrorist IEDD and weapons intelligence. Now retired and watching day time TV. My CV is not especially useful at this stage of the conflict, but I have a few top tips for the yellow and blue team when they enter the insurgency phase

alpin
    Free Member

Fair play to the C4 news presenter for essentially telling the Russian MP to FO after her bleeding heart story.

@CountZero fair one. Still think he’s a turd, but that’s for other reasons (he voted against the waiving of fees for foreign commonwealth service leavers).

But certainly shines a light on the race to profit from the sanctions.

shermer75
    Free Member

Fair play to the C4 news presenter for essentially telling the Russian MP to FO after her bleeding heart story.

What’s this?

timbog160
    Free Member

My twitter just told me it’s Gorbachev’s 91st birthday today.

@shermer75

This one I think. Starts at around 8.40.

slowoldman

Turns out it’s not just a mischievous former spy getting up to his high-jinks but has in fact been a decade+ long plan to destabilise any democratic government.

No? Really?

blokeuptheroad

I remember reading my dad’s old notebooks and aide memoires as a kid. He was RE EOD way back when for a bit, grew up mostly in germany when he went armoured. Learnt a lot about the things that went bang from him, but I was more interested in the armour if I was honest.

I’ve lots of RE mates.  When I served the EOD responsibilities were complex. RE lead on mines and enemy air delivered weapons. Navy clearance divers did everything below the high water mark. RAF did ‘friendly’ air delivered weapons, airfield clearance and downed aircraft. We (RLC and RAOC before them) led on anything home made (IEDs) and land service items (grenades, artillery ammo, mortars etc).  These days things are more joint and there is more crossover between cap badges and services.

rickmeister

At 8:40

@Alpin, there’s a surprising number of potentially helpful ‘books’ on the internet. Mind boggles!

dissonance

but a Tory MP has used Parliamentary privilege to name London lawyers working on behalf of Russian oligarchs and the Russian regime.

Naming them is stepping things up but there are several tories who have been campaigning against the misuse of the courts in the past. Not least because a former tory MP Charlotte Leslie is currently being taken to court by a tory donor Mohamed Amersi after some infighting.
    Private Eye cover it from time to time and those law firms dont come across well even accepting Private Eye has a certain bias (the side about Carter-Ruck being mispronounced seems a tribute to the eyes nickname).

CountZero

One possible reason for Russia’s slow advance in some areas may be down to the use of cheap Chines commercial civilian radios:

https://www.businesstoday.in/latest/trends/story/twitter-posts-show-russian-forces-in-ukraine-lack-basic-tools-use-civilian-radios-324499-2022-03-02

Used to have radios not unlike those for a while at work. They were crap, barely intelligible communication a quarter of a mile away, actually, it was impossible to contact someone you could see the other end of the main site, it was easier to shout!

There’s some good audio of their comms, civilians are using off the shelf scanners to listen in and disrupt their them.

I’m sure if you have a google you’ll find them, some have subs. I found it fascinating, I expected them to have secure comms.

frankconway

I had a cap gun, cowboy hat and bow’n’arrow.
    Just call me Field Marshall.
    At ease.

Northwind

argee

A lot of Call of Duty tactics being recited as the way ahead, lets hope Ukrainians are up to speed on the latest tactics for CoD and Battlefield!

Ukrainian and Russian radio exchanges during combat from interestingasfuck

Definitely NSFW but this made me laugh, turns out that even actual war is exactly like an online game voice chat when the soldiers find an open channel

That’s the one @Northwind!

dyna-ti

Get a bid in early or use a bid sniper?

I’ve emailed a question ? Asking if there are any holes in it.

Should have asked her what she thinks it will be like living under the new latest version of Stalin.

martinhutch

Asking if there are any holes in it.

And I know it says cash on collection only, but would you deliver it to Hartlepool?

Viewing 40 posts - 3,001 through 3,040 (of 19,744 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.