Home Forums Chat Forum Ukraine

• This topic has 19,742 replies, 535 voices, and was last updated 4 days ago by kimbers.
Viewing 40 posts - 4,161 through 4,200 (of 19,744 total)
  • Ukraine
  • martinhutch

Says the only assistance Ukraine received so far through NATO procurement system is 50 tons of diesel

He’s giving NATO political cover. Not sure the kind of military aid he’s been receiving in the last few years, and during the conflict itself, is the type that gets filed through the official NATO procurement system.

He knows full well why NATO can’t impose a no-fly. And criticising them publicly on this issue is probably exactly what they want right now.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Not quite half of the United States and 1/38 of the world’s total land mass

Now work out what proportion of the world’s population lives in this area, presuming it is focussed on the most densely populated areas.

Hint: it’s not 1/38th.

shermer75
    Free Member

Amazingly I’m finding it hard to find more articles on the Russian stock market, seeing as it is the thing that is most likely to depose Putin

Alphabet

Says the only assistance Ukraine received so far through NATO procurement system is 50 tons of diesel

He’s giving NATO political cover. Not sure the kind of military aid he’s been receiving in the last few years, and during the conflict itself, is the type that gets filed through the official NATO procurement system.

He knows full well why NATO can’t impose a no-fly. And criticising them publicly on this issue is probably exactly what they want right now.

Exactly. Please move on Mr Putin, nothing to nuke here …

martinhutch

Amazingly I’m finding it hard to find more articles on the Russian stock market

Be interesting to see how much exposure there is from our own pension funds. Sberbank can’t have seemed like a rock-solid place to stick people’s hard-earned, but I’m sure some fund managers will have been tempted.

shermer75
    Free Member

What is Sberbank?

martinhutch

Big Russian bank with a very small stock price now, comrade. Just an example of a stock which ‘might’ find its way into a fund.

EG:

EXCLUSIVE: Pension funds scramble to divest Russia-linked investments

Hopefully local government pension funds have learned something from the Iceland fiasco.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Roman Motychak
    @motytchak
    ·
    Mar 1, 2022
    dear Western journalists…

there is a crucial distinction, guys, between the left map and the right map.

russians move by big roads, hence it is just misleading to deem all the territory between those roads as russian.
    it is not.
    it is where the civilians fight them.

Yeah I get what occupied territory is, ideas that all the russians control or that all they’ve done is drive up a couple of roads is overly optimistic. And it’s not misleading, Russia will effectively control supplies in behind frontlines. It’s also obvious the map is too small to show encircled, towns, villages and cities.

Anyhow, on those maps in particular what we want to see is bits turning blue, ukrainian counter offenses.

seosamh77
    Free Member

martinhutch

Hope so.

kimbers

Good (if depressing) thread here

while russia struggles in the North they are doing much better in the South as they are better supported by sea and from crimea and capturing Ukraines ports will gullotine the Ukranian economy

kimbers

‘kin hell

rickmeister

molgrips
    Free Member

‘kin hell

I thought that was some random’s YouTube until the end, it’s ITV news.

DT78
    Free Member

all the talk of increasing arms spending, I for one seriously hope billions are being invested into a strategic counter to nukes.

I dont know something like a giant spider man web splat that glues silo doors shut or a way of confusing them and diverting them off into space to explode harmless

that’s what we all really need a way of basically making nukes irrelevant. then maybe we can just dukes out wars in an arena with robots fighting each other or something….

kelvin

A pair of B-52 Stratofortress took off from the UK, and are now over Germany heading East.

thols2

Anyhow, on those maps in particular what we want to see is bits turning blue, ukrainian counter offenses.

Obviously, pushing them back from the cities would be a major objective for the Ukrainians. However, this article from last November pretty much predicted the logistic problem that Russia is having now.

FEEDING THE BEAR: A CLOSER LOOK AT RUSSIAN ARMY LOGISTICS AND THE FAIT ACCOMPLI

Having the Russians extended out more than 50 miles from railheads starts to strain their truck fleet. Take that out to 150 miles and each truck can only make return journey per day on good roads. One volley of rockets takes one truckload, so resupplying the rocket artillery is unsustainable if there are Ukrainian snipers and Javelin squads lurking the countryside taking potshots. I don’t think the Ukrainians will be in any hurry to follow the Jon Snow doctrine of rushing out into the open for a big set piece battle.

shermer75
    Free Member

shermer75
    Free Member

I actually hate those quote memes^^ but this one seems particularly relevant

scuttler

A pair of B-52 Stratofortress took off from the UK, and are now over Germany heading East.

They do that most / every day. See the ‘increase in military flights thread’

martinhutch

‘kin hell

And trying to position himself as the ‘leader’ of the western efforts to defeat Putin is exactly what a Russian asset would do, or what someone desperately trying to create deniability would do, anyway.

I don’t think the Ukrainians will be in any hurry to follow the Jon Snow doctrine of rushing out into the open for a big set piece battle.

Didn’t know Channel 4 news was so aggressive.

nickc

but this one seems particularly relevant

I believe the quote came from a US Army General quite recently, I think about either the Gulf or Kuwait war. If Napoleon did say it (which he didn’t)  perhaps he wouldn’t have let his supply lines get quite so extended when he tried to invade Russia?

blokeuptheroad

This is Ukrainian reporting and I am mindful that they have every reason to make exaggerated claims. Though I really want to believe this is true, my inner sceptic is voicing reservations, I hope it’s mistaken. Claims their marines destroyed 30 helicopters on the ground at an airfield near Kherson.

rickmeister

They do that most / every day. See the ‘increase in military flights thread’

I’m following them now for the first time. Is it usually an out and back?

seosamh77
    Free Member

thols2
    Free Member

Obviously, pushing them back from the cities would be a major objective for the Ukrainians. However, this article from last November pretty much predicted the logistic problem that Russia is having now.

FEEDING THE BEAR: A CLOSER LOOK AT RUSSIAN ARMY LOGISTICS AND THE FAIT ACCOMPLI

Having the Russians extended out more than 50 miles from railheads starts to strain their truck fleet. Take that out to 150 miles and each truck can only make return journey per day on good roads. One volley of rockets takes one truckload, so resupplying the rocket artillery is unsustainable if there are Ukrainian snipers and Javelin squads lurking the countryside taking potshots. I don’t think the Ukrainians will be in any hurry to follow the Jon Snow doctrine of rushing out into the open for a big set piece battle.

Makes sense as to why the Russians seem to be taking a slow and methodical approach. I’m not sure it’s the only reason though. As I’ve said before, I’m pretty sure the Russians could turn up the attrition level many times. I thought it was interesting that the Russians have opened land corridors to Russia and Belarus only now. Tells you that they don’t want people flight I think. Pure speculation, but re-education centres spring to mind.

kelvin

Is it usually an out and back?

Usually head North East, I believe, rather than their current route. But Perhaps we should take this to the other thread? I honestly hadn’t noticed it before, I should have posted there not here, sorry.

shermer75
    Free Member

I believe the quote came from a US Army General quite recently, I think about either the Gulf or Kuwait war. If Napoleon did say it (which he didn’t)  perhaps he wouldn’t have let his supply lines get quite so extended when he tried to invade Russia?

You are absolutley right- I just looked it up, General Omar Bradley. This is why I hate those quote memes! The internet must be about 95% bullshit

thecaptain
    Free Member

Russians seem to be taking a slow and methodical approach

It’s not slow, it’s stationary. That isn’t in anyone’s how-to-conquer-a-country plan.

They are stuck, and they will fail.

thols2

Useful explainer on why the maps show areas that haven’t been cleared of Ukrainian resistance as under Russian “control”.

oldnpastit

deleted.

grum
    Free Member

This is why I hate those quote memes!

thols2

I suspect the quote has been around in some form for as long as there were armies.

https://www.quora.com/Where-does-the-quote-of-Amateurs-talk-strategy-professionals-talk-logistics-come-from-Is-it-true-or-not

“Amateurs talk (about) strategy. Professionals talk (about) logistics” is a saying that has been printed on many images. “Amateurs talk about strategy and tactics. Professionals talk about logistics and sustainability in warfare” was said by Robert Hilliard Barrow (1922-2008), a United States Marine Corps four-star general, in an interview published in the San Diego (CA) Union on November 11, 1979.

Omar Bradley (1893-1981), the last five-star officer of the United States, is often credited, but it’s uncertain if he ever said it. “For military command is as much a practice of human relations as it is a science of tactics and a knowledge of logistics”—a somewhat related quotation—was printed in Bradley’s book, A Soldier’s Story (1951). “I was reminded of what General Omar Bradley once said: ‘Amateurs talk about strategy; professionals talk about logistics’” was a letter printed in The Economist (London, UK) on November 16, 1996. General Bradley’s statements were usually recorded, and it’s unlikely that he said it and that it would not be cited in print before 1996.

“Amateurs talk strategy. Professionals talk logistics”

11 November 1979, San Diego (CA) Union, “Q&A: Marines’ (General Robert—ed.) Barrow Backs SALT—And Conventional Rearming,” pg. C4, col. 4:
    Amateurs talk about strategy and tactics. Professionals talk about logistics and sustainability in warfare.

StuF

On the IT front, could Microsoft / Apple / Linux / Android etc push out an update that would cripple the russian IT infrastructure or do the russians have different have operating systems?

kelvin

I thought it was interesting that the Russians have opened land corridors to Russia and Belarus only now.

I don’t they’ve done this still, despite pleas that they should. People have made it through, but it’s not open, it is not safe.

alpin
    Free Member

Surely iPhone/Apple have enough control over their devices that they could ping messages to them detailing WTF is going on?

mrmoofo
    Free Member

Surely iPhone/Apple have enough control over their devices that they could ping messages to them detailing WTF is going on?

And why would they believe it – they have been told the West is the agitator, and that Ukraine is run by drug gangs and Nazis. Why will they believe anything sent by the west ?

leffeboy

On the IT front, could Microsoft / Apple / Linux / Android etc push out an update that would cripple the russian IT infrastructure or do the russians have different have operating systems?

They could do, but that might reasonably be considered as a direct attack.

slowoldman

I’d be pretty nervous if I were in Romania, Hungary, North Macedonia

Looking how well his army is doing in Ukraine I doubt invading NATO members is very desirable to him at the moment.

nickc

I’d imagine folks in Moldova aren’t 100% secure though

PJay
    Free Member

‘kin hell‘

Johnson’s got to go, he’s a disgrace and an embarrassment. I’m thoroughly ashamed to be British at the moment.

Sadly – https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-60642100

thols2

The Russian Ministry of Truth is still running Vindows Vista.

Viewing 40 posts - 4,161 through 4,200 (of 19,744 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.