Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Turner 5 Spot Frame – Question for anyone in the know
  • joejoe
    Free Member

Hi all, thanks for any help.

I am about to buy a reduced blue 2009 Turner 5 Spot frame. I have read up loads about the frame and can’t wait to receive it and build it up.

However, several reviews have complained about the unsightly rear mech cable routing – I have a plan though! Could I drill through the swingarm to allow the cable to be routed this way? This is what more modern 5 Spot frames have.

What do you think?

Joe

nickhart
    Free Member

er no. not unless you want to weaken the rear end. the new frames have a machined piece welded in so as not to have a problem, iirc!
    get the bike, route the cable and ride it, i guess unless you have an eye in you bum cheek you’ll not see it during the ride……. 😉

joejoe
    Free Member

Cheers for the reply – I wasn’t sure if the new frames had a plate welded in to make up for the reduction in strength. My question is answered! You’re right about fitting and forgetting, it’s easy to get a bit psychotic/obsessed about a new build.

Joe

nickhart
    Free Member

have you found the turner forum on mtbr yet? a world of turner owners (homers (go figure)) who are over the moon to help and advise. oh and dt posts on there from time to time which is nice, bit like cy from cotic posting here. passionate about their bikes.
    the thing you may be able to do is, if it’s a massive problem, get in touch with turner direct and see if you can buy a 2011 rear……

joejoe
    Free Member

That sounds great- I’ve tried looking for the Turner forum but no luck -where is it?!

Vortexracing

I’ve tried looking for the Turner forum but no luck -where is it?!

It’s here

http://forums.mtbr.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31

I have a small 09 frame and the cable routing is no problem at all.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

The cable tie mount is on the outside of the swingarm – you should get a skinny cable tie and be careful where the ‘box’ part is when you snip the cable, to minimise the amount sticking out as this wil catch your calf, but only if you really work the bike from side to side under you.

toons
    Free Member

The cable routing isn’t that bad!

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Or you can get ‘C’ clips in various places.

Digger90
    Free Member

There’s a few STW’ers on the MTBR Turner Forum – myself for example, plus NickHart, Toons and others…

I’ve had 2 DW Spots – one (2009 model) with the rear cable routing outside the rear swingarm, and my current one (2010 model) with it running through it. It make b*gger all difference and you don’t ever look at it anyway.

You will love the Spot though – absolutely fantastic bikes.

nockmeister
    Free Member

Do you mean the cable routing for the front mech?? Now there is a problem with that, depandant on frame size. Trapped cable between the top plates/frame is a known issue. I have a med and the gear cable is cable tied to the seat post.
    Hmm a lot of ‘homers’ complain about the rear cable loop need for shimano non shadow mech..

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Mmmm… Turner

that’s what the real Homer would say…

joejoe
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions – I have checked out the Turner forum and will be spending many more hours there no doubt. I agree with the conclusion of this discussion – the rear mech routing matters very little when considering the bike as a whole.

I really can’t wait to receive my frame, practically everything I have read is positive and I had a test ride which was great – luckily the size L fits me just right.

One last question, for those who have bought a turner 5 frame by post; does it come with a seat post clamp? If not as I suspect, what is the diameter of seat post clamp needed?

Also, what is all the mention of Homers?! I have tried to work out the link but maybe being stupid.

Joe

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

It should come with a clamp, but it;s not a QR

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Turner 5 Spot Frame – Question for anyone in the know’ is closed to new replies.