• This topic has 10 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by edd.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Travel insurance for a MTB holiday not starting in the UK
  • edd

Wonder if someone can help. I usually insure myself for mountain bike holidays with Snow Card. My next mountain bike trip I will be starting from the US, rather than the UK. Unfortunately Snow Card explicitly require the trip to start and finish in the UK.

Any ideas for insurance providers for mountain bike holidays (I would like the policy to explicitly cover downhill mountain biking) that don’t require me to start and finish in the UK?

(I am a UK citizen, but based in the US for a couple of months. The mountain biking trip is to Switzerland. For, worst case scenario, repatriation purposes I would like to be returned to the UK rather than the US.)

sandwicheater

Not aware of any provider that does it, if you’ve already left the UK your trip has started/window missed. Do you not have travel insurance at present for your US trip, ask the insurers to amend that policy?

andrewh
    Free Member

Personal accident cover from a Swiss company?
    Or ring Snowcard, Dogtag etc and see if they can do a custom policy for you no harm in asking

edd

Thanks for the replies. I’m in the US with work training. Work has an insurance policy that covers me in the US, but won’t cover me on holiday (obviously).

Phoning the insurance companies is a good idea, thanks.

sandwicheater

Battleface would appear to do it but will be rated on entire trip, not just the MTB trip portion.

https://quote.battleface.com/uk-travel.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw95yJBhAgEiwAmRrutNWsBXlm_cwld3T8_mVvVgRix66opjWdz4AfnsJ4HkcCzr__WZxk_RoChD4QAvD_BwE

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Fly to the UK & spend a day or two at home, go on holiday from there, return to UK, fly back to USA for work?

ayjaydoubleyou

Fly to the UK & spend a day or two at home, go on holiday from there, return to UK, fly back to USA for work?

why even go home, transfer via Heathrow, buy a sandwich there with a credit card as proof…

I would agree with phoning them, snowcard and dogtag seem like reasonable companies, and as a UK resident/citizen who would like to be sent back to blighty if you really spanner yourself I dont think you are doing what that policy is attempting to prevent (rest-of-world citizens trying to use a UK company to insure their european trip to save money)

edd

Thanks everyone.

Sadly flying via Heathrow/ the UK isn’t an option as flights already booked via Paris. I should have thought of that when booking flights…

Matt_SS_xc

We didnt ever use it, but for a few summers we rode in the alps for a few weeks as part of a bigger trip (so technically riding holiday didn’t start or finish in UK).
    We used worldnomads for our cover.

edd

Update – I ended up using WorldNomads. Unfortunately I needed stitches and WorldNomads dealt with my claim quickly and professionally. The money is already in my account, would definitely recommend and use again. Thanks for the suggestion @Matt_SS_xc

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Travel insurance for a MTB holiday not starting in the UK’ is closed to new replies.