Home Forums Chat Forum Totally O/T – Vehicle tracking systems?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Totally O/T – Vehicle tracking systems?
  • transapp
    Free Member

I’m looking to put a vehicle tracked on some of my company vans as I feel they are being abused (no other way of proving unless I follow them!) so I want something that I can download at the end of a day / week to see what they have been upto. Not too worried about real time updates, just as long as they know I’m checking I’m sure it’ll be enough!
    Anyone got any ideas?

CountZero

One possible option is to get hold of some cheap, secondhand smartphones, like some iPhone 3G’s, install a simple GPS app that tracks routes that can be easily downloaded, and hide them in the vans, with a USB cable attached from a power supply somewhere. You could use Find My iPhone to see where the vans are at any given time as well.
    Just a thought, I don’t know if that would be practical in the real world, but I can’t really see why not, and it would probably be cheaper to run than one of the commercial vehicle tracking systems that require an annual subscription.

Drac

I’d not be sneaky about that won’t go too well for you in a tribunal. We’re having them installed at work, we’re getting swipe cards to sign in with to say who is driving. Let’s just say it’s not proving popular with Staff Side.

martymac

they are fitted to all the buses at my work, including a dash mounted ‘traffic light system’ to instantly display rough driving.
    the idea was to save fuel, but imo the main advantage is if a passenger claims ‘the driver braked harshly and made me fall over’ the company can say ‘er, no he didnt’ (or yes he did)
    i have no idea as to cost though.
    greenroad.com is our one, but there are others too.

CountZero

I’d not be sneaky about that won’t go too well for you in a tribunal. We’re having them installed at work, we’re getting swipe cards to sign in with to say who is driving. Let’s just say it’s not proving popular with Staff Side.

Not their vehicles, so they can bitch all they like. I’m sure the next time a staff driver has an incident, and the system absolves them of all responsibility, in a situation that could otherwise be inconclusive, they’ll be more than happy to accept its installation.

piemonster
    Free Member

No need to be sneaky, common practice for many businesses with fleets

We use http://www.ctrack.co.uk/

No more sightings of drivers snoozing in car parks, the cheeky scally wags

spooky_b329

As above, its got to be above board and I believe it is good practise to make the data available to an employee.

We have them, they are extremely unpopular, partly for the obvious reasons but also because ours automatically alert if we go out of area or stop for too long out of area. i.e. you get alerts at level crossings and in traffic!

Not their vehicles, so they can bitch all they like

Poor attitude…you should at least try to reason with the employees. You get their backs up, they won’t exactly become the most productive and efficient workers. Also, if you are only fitting them to certain vans for certain employees, you would be good to apply a criteria such as they have been involved in an accident within the last 12 months or some other reason. Otherwise you could have a harassment case on your hands if they feel they are being unfairly targeted compared to other employees without good reason.

Bregante

http://www.trackaphone.eu/

These fellas can remotely disable the car if it goes somewhere you don’t want it to. :-)

(when it comes to a safe stop -ie when keys are removed. Not when it’s in the outside lane of the M6)

billytinkle
    Free Member

Best tracking system I’ve seen (and I’ve seen a lot) is TomTom WebFleet – superb product that should be looked at as in investment – telematics really can save your business money!

I’m a fleet manager btw.

SonicTheHedgehog
    Free Member

The company I work for use Masternaught3x
    It lets them know location, excessive speed, out of hours use, nearest to a postcode and more.

As an employee it can be a PITA to begin with, but most of us have got used to the idea and have learnt to live with it.

Having said that, one of our drivers was recorded doing 107mph. He got a verbal warning and nothing more was said 8O.

At the end of the day the van does belong to the company, is signwritten and employees are representing the them whilst driving!

firestarter
    Free Member

We even have voice recording in our wagons :( voice, video and tracking data all recorded to hard drive

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Totally O/T – Vehicle tracking systems?’ is closed to new replies.