Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • YT wicked 160 vs Cotic Rocket
  • M1llh0use
    Free Member

Going to get shot down here very quickly so please try and keep to some sensible answers…

Choice is down to the above 2 bikes, both of which will be overkill for where I ride but I really like the look of them both (for very different reasons) however will be dragging my sorry ass further afield over the next few months so will kinda justify a “bigger” bike than my currant fuel ex.

I Rode a spicy 516 last weekend which the geometry is v.similar to the yt and loved it. I’m testing the rocket next weekend so views yet to be formed on that.

Can anyone offer any opinions to help swing my opinion one way or the other as I’m erring one way then the other every day at the moment!

Help me STW, you’re my only hope!!

AlexSimon

Availability might swing it. Double-check with YT when you’re likely to get a bike.

M1llh0use
    Free Member

If its any further help the rocket would be built with crossmax st’s, maybe talas 150’s, a reverb, X0 brakes and xt groups et…

M1llh0use
    Free Member

Yt is looking like mid December…

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I Rode a Spicy 516…and loved it.

Why not Spicy then? Really, why is it not on the list?

roverpig

Does “Britishness” matter to you? I tend to use that to break a tie when all else fails (and often before then if I’m honest).

Cheers,

Andy

M1llh0use
    Free Member

Spicy is just too expensive for the relative spec. Vs the YT

br
    Free Member

But if you really liked it, and buy something else ‘cos its cheaper, you’ll always have that nagging doubt.

And since we are talking about a leisure product, which by its very definition is ‘want’ rather than ‘need’…

M1llh0use
    Free Member

Well there is that. But the yt does look better 😉

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

The YT looks like someone has thrown up on it.

Warranty is an issue I would have thought, i’d very quickly get fed up trying to communicate with and sending stuff back to Germany.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

The Spicy will be more expensive; dealers and stock need to be paid for somehow.

The spec of the YT bikes can be staggering; the Bos-equipped Limited is a great price. But I would be wary of a bike I can’t ride; or even sit on without splashing the cash.

I’ve never really considered Spicy until I had a ride on one a few weeks ago. It was very, very good.

If you are that price sensitive, why have you discounted the El Guapo?

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

Oh man have you SEEN the kit on that YT? the geometry reads well too. be interesting to see what dirt make of the one in their hands at the moment. Rocket is damn nice too though… I’ve got a soul and its amazing and the the whole british thing does help too.
    I really can’t help but you’re more than welcome to buy me that YT?

M1llh0use
    Free Member

Been in conversation with YT about warranty nd they Seem to be fairly good (but TBH who can tell what ANY company is like until you test them in your own cercumstance.

El guapo REALLY doesn’t float my boat, as was said before this isn’t a need, this is a want so needs to tickle the garage bling box as well…

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

Agree on the spec of the spicy, I understand that a direct sales bike is going to be cheaper than one supporting dealers etc but the spicy spec is IMO very low for the cash. Look at the 2012 916; it’s a £5000 bike yet the spec is equalled or exceeded by direct sales bikes costing under £2500. Sure it’s carbon, but that’s what? 1/2lb saving? Really wanted a 516 but just couldn’t justify the extra cash

metalheart
    Free Member

Choice is down to the above 2 bikes, both of which will be overkill for where I ride

Except of course that in my experience on the rocket you don’t really feel ‘overbiked’. It seem to only give up the travel that’s needed. Plus the geo is spot on (all IMHO, obviously). But obviously I’m biased, having bought one and all.

Just to muddy the waters, I’d also recommend you consider a Labyrinth Agile. I demo’d one with Bos and an 1 deg angleset, it was a damn fine bike too… :mrgreen:

LoCo
    Free Member

You also need to factor in that any BOS stuff will need to go back to the supplier of the bike (Germany if you get the YT) or France for BOS direct as they haven’t got a UK Distributor at the moment.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

El guapo REALLY doesn’t float my boat, as was said before this isn’t a need, this is a want so needs to tickle the garage bling box as well…

If that’s important, then it has to be the Rocket then.

YT is anything but bling, despite the spec. Pig with lipstick springs to mind. Having said that, the reviews are very favourable, there is no denying that, but it’s certainly not ‘bling’ IMO.

I wouldn’t exactly call the Rocket bling either, but it’s a whole lot more bling than the Wicked.

robsoctane
    Free Member

YT would be my only consideration mate, the cost vs spec speaks for itself really. Warranty is only as good as the person who decides on the day making it very hit and miss. Countless stories on STW forum that agree to this.

I reckon Hope is the only company that’s never been spoken ill of when warranties are mentioned.

YT for my money, looks bling too!

Northwind

robsoctane – Member

I reckon Hope is the only company that’s never been spoken ill of when warranties are mentioned.

TBH I can’t think of anyone talking of YT warranty at all. Which is obviously better than having loads of people talking about warranty, even if they’re good stories 😉

footflaps

The Rocket has to be one of the best looking frames out there right now, for that reason alone I might get one….

Northwind

Oh aye… Further to last post, I’ve had 2 chances to test Cotic’s warranty, which is 2 more than ideal. But both chances have proved beyond any doubt that Cotic are an awesome company that you can trust.

I don’t even have a warranty with Cotic, I bought the bike used and it’d be out of warranty even if I was the original owner. So whem I phoned up and said “My bike’s bust- but it’s out of warranty, and I bought it used, and I broke it on the fort william worldcup course. How much will the parts be?” and they say “Nowt- and they’ll be fast couriered out tomorrow”, I was a happy Northwind.

So if warranty and aftersales service is important to you, then that should lead you towards Cotic, because IME it couldn’t possibly be any better. (and yes- better than Hope)

ashfanman
    Free Member

The YT looks like someone has thrown up on it.

What he said. Far too busy for my tastes. (The fact it has ‘Wicked’ plastered all over it really doesn’t help either.)

That said, the spec on the LTD models is pretty much unbeatable for the money. And they do seem to be highly rated by those that have ridden them.

I’d be seriously tempted to get the frame stripped and repainted – maybe with some custom decals. (Though you might want to check first whether that would invalidate your warranty.) Reckon you could end up with something that looks pretty decent.

M1llh0use
    Free Member

Agree about the busy look but that in itself is part of the attraction. 😆

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

I’ve taken delivery of one of these;

It’s an alternative to the YT, but with fox suspension.

andytherocketeer

Someone at work seems to have just got one of those Strives, and seems to be commuting on it. The version with bling iodine wheels, and looks like the forks are permanently wound down. Looks nice though.

ashfanman
    Free Member

I’ve taken delivery of one of these

One of my German mates has one of those and another has the previous version from about four/five years ago. The new one is very, very nice indeed.

athgray
    Free Member

I was tempted by the Canyon Strive but went for the Nerve AM instead. Nice looking bike that. So is the Cotic.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Nice bike the Strive – just noticed from that pic, the front triangle is very ‘Nomad-y’.

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

Yes when it arrived I thought; single pivot nomad. Thankfully the medium strive is a little longer in the top tube than the nomad, tried a medium and it was too cramped for me.

r17anm
    Free Member

image by R17anm, on Flickr
    I can reccomend the rocket more fun than my previous orange 5

lurchh
    Free Member

How has no one mentioned a Nukeproof Mega yet?

fathomer

I really didn’t want to say anything but that Rocket is, well, gopping! Sorry.

Northwind

Observes seatpost and stem. Wishes for “dislike” button.

I don’t like the wee bit of white on the “seatstay” either, better if it was all orange. But what do I know, I own an Ellsworth, I have no right to call other peple’s bikes ugly.

theendisnigh
    Free Member

in my opinion, white rims only look good on a white bike. And blue seat post may match the stem, but it looks gash with everything else. Youve tried too hard.
    I’m glad you are enjoying it though! Fk everyone!

theendisnigh
    Free Member

[img]http://www.flickr.com/photos/88083639@N06/8054859937/[/img]

http://www.flickr.com/photos/88083639@N06/8054859937/

r17anm
    Free Member

Ive had mostly negative comments on the blue bits but does it for me so 🙂

theendisnigh
    Free Member

have you wondered whether the people who weren’t negative were being polite 😉

Riding it is the important bit 🙂

chojin
    Free Member

Cotic should stick to what they know: Hardtails 8)

r17anm
    Free Member

Im holding out for a blue reverb

theendisnigh
    Free Member

😆

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘YT wicked 160 vs Cotic Rocket’ is closed to new replies.