Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Toilet with a powerful flush – recommendations please
  • bowglie

We’re going to have our downstairs cloakroom (bog) refitted and I’m looking for a bog with a flush that’s capable of shifting heavy loads – you know what I’m saying😉  A member of the household has taken to leaving sticky logs behind them and I’m fed up with having to sort out the aftermath. The new ‘posh’ rimless toilet we had put in the main bathroom looks great, but even its´full flush’ is absolutely hopeless.

So, I’m looking for a bog with a decent flush (preferably the sort that’ll drag you in if a bit of loose clothing gets near😁) Any recommendations?

matt_outandabout

Jetwash?

blokeuptheroad

Watching. Modern bog flushes are pathetic and ineffectual.  It’s probably to save water which doesn’t work when you have to give it 3 or 4 flushes to send a particularly voluminous and recalcitrant dreadnought on its way.

piemonster

Dis you?

scaredypants

all-bran ?

ratherbeintobago

Anyone else reckon a traditional lever siphon flush will be better than a push button one?

Rich_s

We have a high level traditional one in the family bog. Not much that bugger can’t shift, although our 13 year old does try.

Swmbo wants to refurb the bathroom and I fear we’ll end up with a standard modern loo which frankly can block at the slightest hint of anything solid.

bowglie

I’d love something with jet wash like power – close the lid and secure hatches before flushing though eh?!

Yes, the existing bog is an old large volume cistern and lever siphon, circa 1980’s I guess. Are all modern cisterns these hopeless push button/small capacity type now?

martinhutch

I’ve just installed a rimless one with a Geberit concealed cistern. Seems powerful enough to shift most things, although I suspect it hasn’t been put to the ultimate test.

I think the issue is that the shape of most modern toilets means you’ll get ‘leftovers’, regardless of flush power. You can get ones with a hygiene coating that makes them a bit more slippery, although I suspect that effect is marginal.

How about checking the individual’s diet, and teaching him to use a bog brush on pain of death?

Or install one of these in the garden.

https://danfo.co.uk/our-products-services/toilet-solutions-for-your-needs/permanent-public-toilets/mapt-automatic-public-toilet

stingmered

Very wise, getting ready for Boxing Day. We’ve got Dynorod on a retainer. 

footflaps

Watching. Modern bog flushes are pathetic and ineffectual. It’s probably to save water which doesn’t work when you have to give it 3 or 4 flushes to send a particularly voluminous and recalcitrant dreadnought on its way.

Yep, ours requires 3 flushes most times for just about anything. Replaced the entire mechanism and didn’t make any difference, just seem to have been designed not to work. Armitage Shanks.

blokeuptheroad

Still, at least we don’t have German style crappers where you deposit your offering onto a dry porcelain shelf so you can inspect it before the flush skooshes it off.  As a young squaddie in BAOR in the 1980s this properly freaked me out! Probably urban myth, but we were told it was because they ate a lot of raw meat and needed to check for worms….🤢

midlifecrashes

Whatever you have in the cistern, bin it and fit one of these.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/fluidmaster-toilet-flush-valve-handle-kit/50692

Simple flap that lets the water out in a good rush. There is a push button version too if you must.

maccruiskeen

A member of the household has taken to leaving sticky logs behind them

have you considered changing the locks?

blokeuptheroad

Whatever you have in the cistern, bin it and fit one of these.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/fluidmaster-toilet-flush-valve-handle-kit/50692

Simple flap that lets the water out in a good rush. There is a push button version too if you must.

Interesting.  Info suggests it’s for water saving which worries me.  I’m generally all for conserving water but sometimes you need to unleash a biblical flood to shift a stubborn Richard

devash
    Free Member

Bookmarking this thread as we have the same problem in my household.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Same here. Luckily the bathroom bin is watertight and bucket size. Fill it in the bath and dump that down the bog on the odd occasion when normal methods fail.

martinhutch

Same here. Luckily the bathroom bin is watertight and bucket size.

Thought this post was heading in a completely different direction.

midlifecrashes

The flap valve just lets the water through, all in one go, no siphon, you move the lever, the flap lifts. if it’s just a little pee to deal with, you can release the lever early, that’s the water saving feature. How much water is in there is a function of the height you set on your filler valve. 

These things work, I have owned a bunch of them for many years now (I’m a landlord). Bonus feature is that if the flap ever needs cleaning or changing, you don’t need to separate the cistern from the pan to do it, and replacement parts are available though my oldest one is at least twenty years old and going strong. 

bowglie

have you considered changing the locks? 😆 

I can’t think who they’ve inherited their filthy dirtbag habits from….Cough!

bowglie

Thanks for flap valve suggestions and link, that sounds like a good solution.

brian2
    Free Member

Dirty, dirty boy!! Downstairs cloaks is not for poos…wees only!! You cannot have that toilet plume wafting about downstairs! Imagine, someone walking into your house through the front door catching a whiff of that??? Just no. And don’t keep cloaks in there either! Dirty boy 🥵

matt_outandabout

Cougar

Dirty, dirty boy!! Downstairs cloaks is not for poos…wees only!! You cannot have that toilet plume wafting about downstairs! Imagine, someone walking into your house through the front door catching a whiff of that??? Just no. And don’t keep cloaks in there either! Dirty boy 🥵

Weird.

Cougar

On holiday in Rhodes, they have an odd relationship with sanitation. Used bog roll goes in the bin rather than down the throne. One time I encountered what looked like a shower head on a hose next to the bog, I assumed some sort of hand-held bidet. I’m glad I tried it before I applied it as it was more like a jet-washer. Maybe something like that is what you need in loo lieu of a better diet.

brian2
    Free Member

OK. Cheaper than a food mixer, and easier than a change of diet. 2ltr plastic pop bottle; cut the base out and remember to replace the cap😳. You now have a plunger which will shape around the base of the bend and create a watertight seal to force the log around the bend. The sharp edges of the cut plastic also make an effective blade to slice the offender up if necessary. But, remember to replace the cap on the bottle 🙄.

duncancallum

Why dont we teflon toilets

Get a non stick frying pan

Why not a non stick shit pan?

brian2
    Free Member

Cos eventually…if you fry enough of them, they’ll start sticking. Teflon doesn’t last too long.

captain_bastard
    Free Member

We have a high level traditional one in the family bog

You can’t beat gravity, had one in an old house (although it was a new toilet), that flush could shift king kongs little finger

prettygreenparrot

Wondering if a Japanese toilet with a pre-rinse will help.

Our special-coated ceramic toilet with a Grohe flush can need 2-4 flushes with brush assistance if presented with anything poop-like.

Good luck OP.

desperatebicycle

My new lady’s house has amazing quality toilet flushes! Only trouble is, they have some lightning fast refill on the cistern which makes a hell of a racket.. can’t flush pee away at night! But I will have a check what brand of lav is installed when I get a mo 😀

bikesandboots

Why dont we teflon toilets

Maybe you could machine polish the inside of your toilet before fitting it?

brian2
    Free Member

Golden rule for water use reduction:

If it’s brown, flush it down. If it’s yellow, let it mellow.

susepic

at least we don’t have German style crappers where you deposit your offering onto a dry porcelain shelf so you can inspect it before the flush skooshes it off

Worked in Germany end of 80s, and a mate had to flush at half-dump, or stand up to make room for the rest.
    Last time I was in Germany they seemed to have moved to more modern thinking

bensales
    Free Member

What on earth are you lot eating?

New Ideal Standard rimless ones in this house and they’ve never have a problem clearing anything on the main 6l flush. Which, in all honesty, did surprise me given the size of the hole in the pan.

https://www.bathroomsuppliesonline.com/ideal-standard-tesi-close-coupled-back-to/

bowglie

What on earth are you lot eating?

My theory is too much time sat on their butt playing computer games, and maybe prolonged baking times. The sticky monsters only make fairly infrequent appearances, but too often for my liking. I like the food mixer suggestion – all I’d need is a chemical warfare outfit!

oh, and classic comments about the 1980’s toilets in Germany. My dad worked in Germany and the Netherlands for a few years and I remember visiting him and the WTF reaction when I first saw the f’lat pan bogs. (LOL about the guy having to part flush or stand up for his XL logs!)

The Ideal Standard looks OK, and I’m wondering about combining it with a separate built in cistern mounted a bit higher up the wall – might look a bit odd with the flush button halfway up the wall though….hmmm

Drac

Get a log but just remember the rules. 

bowglie

Drac, that’s ace!😁

Flaperon

A member of the household has taken to leaving sticky logs behind them

Surely this is an educational rather than consumer advice problem?

fasgadh
    Free Member

German crappers: Had one of those at university – posh Edwardian townhouse.  Now a private residence I expect it is a treasured feature.  Niagra like flush though – you could probably see ripples on Megget Water when it is used.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.