Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • Titus El Guapo 2013
  • robowns
    Free Member

My mate is just on the verge of ordering one of the new El Guapo frames and has asked my opinion on colour. Have any of you lot got any of the new frames built up that you might be able to post a picture of?

Much Appreciated.

brant
    Free Member
    smiff
    Free Member

if in doubt, silver the way to go, will always look good, but they’re all beautiful (i may be biased here).

finally started building mine yesterday, black hope headset and xtr bb, about to start pulling apart my old bike for more bits, slightly :/

robowns
    Free Member

Yeah I saw the readers rides, all raw though, not that it doesn’t look great.

scottfitz
    Free Member

Chrome one looks cool.

hora
    Free Member

I thought my 09 Enduro was an ugly frame (and thats polished alu) but my word

smiff
    Free Member

haha. i think it’s the nicest looking frame i’ve ever seen.. i’ve almost been happy just to look at it for 2 weeks 😉 why would you buy a bike you thought was ugly? not that it matters when you’re on it. hora.. just wondering, are you one of those who thinks only steel singlespeeds look good? 🙂 each to his own but i honestly can’t understand why that’s ugly.. i guess it’s a bit industrial or something? is it the combo of that linkage and shaped tubes that’s too much?

i can sort of see why it’s a statement.. esp. in Orange.

hora
    Free Member

Not too fussed. I also dont like the swingarms on Marins – especially the freeride version etc.

Eeeeee

patriotpro
    Free Member

Ooooo the black one looks very classy.

wrecker
    Free Member

Hora, what are you riding nowadays?

chillidave
    Free Member

I’ve been a bit disappointed with the finish on my raw one, could be a one off though. Awaiting on-one’s view on it.

smiff
    Free Member

you weren’t expecting brushed? yeah, there was a one someone did themselves by stripping an orange, it looked really nice, and that’s not what you get. i personally like the “raw”.

the marin above, i do find a bit ugly, too much metal in there, but it’s nothing like the EG 🙂

chillidave
    Free Member

Oh it’s not the brushed effect, that’s fine. Just quite a few fairly major imperfections. I won’t go in to it too far while I’m awaiting on one’s verdict. 😉 I’m glad to hear yours wasn’t the same!

smiff
    Free Member

there were a few nicks around the headtube, but nothing to worry about. i’d like to know about yours in case i missed anything! maybe pm me please?

chillidave
    Free Member

Sure thing mate, am I missing something on pm’ing here though?

I’d just like to say it’s a bloody lovely frame in any case, can’t wait to ride it.

brant
    Free Member

Just quite a few fairly major imperfections.

It’s a Super Raw finish, not a polished alloy one. I’ve seen the pictures (sent at 4pm this afternoon) and I’m sorry if you’ve not received what you were expecting.

Returns will be in touch to discuss this with you.

chillidave
    Free Member

Thanks Brant, Light scratches to the frame are to be expected and are part of the reason for going super raw! I’ll wait to see what the warranty guys sayabout the other issues.

brant
    Free Member

Thanks Brant, it’s only what looks like a tool mark on the rocker and the black paint like thing on the headtube I’m bothered by. Light scratches to the frame are to be expected and are part of the reason for going super raw!

The black paint is rather odd. I am puzzled.
    The tool mark falls under “super raw” as far as I’m concerned.
    I note that really we perhaps need to make more detailed pictures of the level of rawness to be expected.

chillidave
    Free Member

Sorry Brant, I meant to edit those comments out so they weren’t seen here! Thought it wasn’t fair on you guys without having a chance to respond as I’m otherise a happy customer.

I’ve highlighted the rocker issue as to me what is a tool mark and is very noticeable doesn’t really fall under what I expect with a raw finish.

brant
    Free Member

I will upload them if you don’t mind just so people can see what a raw finish is like, as they’re really good examples of what I think is perfectly OK and what lots of people might not.

The tool mark is part of the raw finish. As the rocker is unfinished. Hence the tool mark.

smiff
    Free Member

oh right n/m, i’d only return for bad alignment (never heard of this on EG) or out of spec reaming etc (not a problem on v3). at the price this frame is i’m not picky about cosmetics, but yeah some close ups would be good brant. you’ve nothing to be embarrassed about with welds and such.

chillidave
    Free Member

That’s fine, I’m certainly not seeking to argue about it. If it gives people an idea of what to expect then that’s great.

I’m a little disappointed particularly with the rocker but I’ll happily live with it and get it built up ready for a trip to Morzine to put some all new scratches on it 🙂

If you have any suggestions on safe ways to try to to remove the paint I’d appreciate it though.

brant
    Free Member

There was a guy in the USA who stripped an orange frame and left the rocker black. Which looked cool.
    Maybe I should have done that!

Pics here – http://www.shedfire.com/2012/08/17/some-examples-of-superraw-finish-to-be-expected-not-a-fault/

chillidave
    Free Member

A black rocker would look pretty tidy too!

Anyway I’ll get on with my build and the serious business of riding it. Thanks for the feedback.

hora
    Free Member

09 Enduro, 2xslack bushes, Fox shock and shim stacked 160 55 forks.

It feels very similar to a SX in slackness but is a wee bit lighter. Had it over a year now thanks to Renton. The offset bushes changed a tall frame into a sit in frame.

robowns
    Free Member

All of the marks on that raw finish frame look fine except that one on the rocker link, I don’t think I’d be too happy with that on a brand new frame.

chillidave
    Free Member

I’m afraid I agree with you robowns. I have some other things I’m not over happy with on a new frame but that really does stand out. Sadly I have a trip to the alps booked in just over a week so it’s a bit of a catch 22.

hummerlicious
    Free Member

Brant as you’re on this thread I wanted to order a black, medium El Guapo with the CCDB shock, but it says ‘preorder’ on the button. Any idea when they are coming in? You have them with the monarch shock in medium, but not the CCDB.

hora
    Free Member

Ask for a replacement rocker plate swap to be delivered post France?

Raw frames need tlc/polishing as they show imperefections etc so youll need to do this anyway IMO.

wrecker
    Free Member

That “raw” looks like its been scotchbrighted to within an inch of its life. Super raw my arse.

smiff
    Free Member

as we’re all being so picky, and brant actually appears to give a s**t here instead of telling us all go f*** ***selves.. like most bike companies might 😉 – the rocker imho should be painted black or white (as it doesn’t match anyway). if i could have exactly what i wanted, like the kid in the chocolate factory, i’d have a painted rocker and white Monarch shock on my raw frame (and for the white frame i guess).
    won’t that mark buff right out?

chillidave
    Free Member

I’ve had a go at polishing on the scratch, the paint and the water marks and those pictures are taken after having a good go at them, whilst being wary of doing anything too aggresive that may cause any damage.

I hope this doesn’t seem like I’m criticising Brant or On-one, it does give a better idea of what super raw looks like as he intended.

brant
    Free Member

Ask for a replacement rocker plate swap to be delivered post France?
    Raw frames need tlc/polishing as they show imperefections etc so youll need to do this anyway IMO.

Frame is anodised.

brant
    Free Member

Brant as you’re on this thread I wanted to order a black, medium El Guapo with the CCDB shock, but it says ‘preorder’ on the button. Any idea when they are coming in? You have them with the monarch shock in medium, but not the CCDB.

Black medium CCDB says 48hrs – I guess that’s as we have to swap the shocks over, rather than just a pick from stock. I am checking.

smiff
    Free Member

any of you guys er… fitted seatposts to your EGs? i seem to have a tolerance problem on seattube.. thought it was just the shim i was using, but just had a thomson 30.9 post delivered.. still a bit lose. i think the clamp will grip it, but it’s not inspiring.. never had a bike where the post has some wiggle and just drops down unclamped. hmmm. are they all like this? it’s reamed? is it even intended? worried about stress to the clamp area and slippage.

btw, thomson do a 30.8, but not a 31.0 (or 31.x, i need to get digital calipers), which is probably what this bike needs. the thing is, this was just temporary until getting a dropper. any advice please brant?

smiff
    Free Member

well.. it seems like it’s going to hold the thomson seatpost, but that’s cranking down real hard on the little bitty clamp bolt on this:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=8214
    (it’s what i had lying around).

to give an idea, i can get a wrap of clear tape around the thomson 30.9 and still stick it in the Guapo without it snagging. in engineering terms that’s pretty bad right?

didn’t someone else here say they kept returning frames and gave up on the EG because of this.. who was that and are you out there? 🙂

and Brant do you know of a problem with seattube size?

brant
    Free Member

Thomson posts are always undersized. But that doesn’t sound right.
    I’ve not heard of any issues with seat post tolerance though.
    Discuss with Alex and Jason on returns@planet-x-bikes.com

I am off in today so will have a chat with them on this.

kevin1911

For info – I’ve stuck a 30.9 Reverb in mine and it’s a nice snug fit.

smiff
    Free Member

oh ffs i paid for thomson ‘cos i thought they’d be 100% right! time to order some calipers this is silly. don’t really want to return now headset, bb etc are nicely in. i assume On-One would warranty the frame if that area broke later anyway.

thanks, reverb may be what i get later not sure yet..

dropoff

I’ve been reading this thread with interest. I also own an El Guapo and have had some “issues” with quality so I’m glad someone else is highlighting them too. I also have a Thompson seatpost and that is a little too slack in my frame too. I have just been out to measure it ( after Brant’s comment that theyre always small!) and have found it to be 30.91mm measured in 3 places. The paint on the frame is extremely brittle and chips extremely easily, apart from where the shock mounts ‘cos they didn’t bother to spray any on there. Also before you ride the bike check the chainstay pivot bolts one of mine nearly fell out on my first ride.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Titus El Guapo 2013’ is closed to new replies.