Home Forums Bike Forum Those metal "elastic bands" that go round the dust seal?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Those metal "elastic bands" that go round the dust seal?
  • roverpig

You need those right 😳

Just had my first stab at a lower leg service on some Rockshox Revelelation RLT forks. Actually I serviced the damper and changed it from a poploc to a crown mounted lever, but that bit went OK.

Anyway, as I was pushing a rag down into the lowers to clean them the metal “elastic band” type things around the top wiper seal came off. When I went to put them back on they seemed far too big. I guess they must have stretched. I’ve put it all back together without them, but I guess they help to stop crap getting into the lowers. So, does anybody know what they are called and where I can get some from?

Cheers,

Andy

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

yes, they do exactly what you say and stop crap getting in.

They can usualy be re-used so maybe buy another seal kit and just be carefull in 12 months time when you next replace the seals?

Andy-R

They’re called garter springs and if they’re too long you can shorten them. If you find where the joint is you can unscrew one end from the other, cut a bit off the non-tapered end (being careful not to flatten or distort it) and then re-join.
    Or you might not want to bother doing this, but it really is a piece of piss.

maxtorque

The spring “energises” the seal. In effect it creates just the right amount of contact pressure on the nose of the seal profile to wipe the crud (outside) and oil (inside) off the stantion as it slides past. Without it, the seal simply will not work reliably. Best bet as mentioned, is to justy buy a complete seal kit, which is you are going to regularily service your forks you might as well have lying around anyway just in case you find damage / wear at some point.

roverpig

Thanks folks. It looks as though I can pick up dust wiper seals for Revs quite cheaply. So I’ll just change the whole seal I think.

Cheers,

Andy

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Those metal "elastic bands" that go round the dust seal?’ is closed to new replies.