Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Things to do in Corsica
  • pondo

For the first time in two years, we’re thinking of venturing away from this sceptered isle – we like the Med and fancy a bit of Corsica. Does the hive-mind have any suggestions for places we must go or things we must do, while we’re there? Are we idiots for planning on going abroad in the summer?

misteralz
    Free Member

Honestly one of my favourite places in the world. It has such an amazing diversity of scenery and plant life in such a small space. Was there for ten days a few years back and was never bored. Worth getting a boat trip from Bonifacio just to see the stairs carved into the cliffs from the sea. Amazing hiking inland. Almost certainly great mountain biking but we never had ours with us. Great seafood and gelato everywhere, and roadside hut pizzas were amazing. We were there in April and had the pebble beaches to ourselves and did loads of swimming and surfing. Might be busier in summer…

scuttler

It’s ace. It’s also quite big so unless you’re on a big tour (the roads are windy), pick an area broadly N, S or W coast.

I’ve only been to the North, l’Ile Rousse and Calvi and it was brill. Will definitely be going back.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Join the FLNC.

misteralz
    Free Member

Good point – we got the ferry in to Bastia and it was over two hours to the bottom of the island. You’ll need a car!
    Will also definitely be going back – hopefully with bikes next time.

andrewreay

Train to Corte is a cool daytrip.

Really love Corte. Worthy of a visit.

As above, definitely get a car though.

danti

Did an Audax holiday there, stunning riding will definitely go back. If you take a bike you’ll definitely benefit from a compact chain set, very hilly rough roads especially Cap Corse cobbles.

Places I’d like to see more of:
    Spelunca Gorge, calanques de Piana, Bonifacio, St Florent and Corte.

markgraylish
    Free Member

I went about twenty years ago and my abiding memory was the, err spirited, driving of the locals and the very narrow roads…

Looked a great place for road riding if there was no traffic!

(I spent most of the time on the western side of the island)

masterdabber
    Free Member

Did some very nice road riding up into the hills, some nice climbs (and descents). Very pretty but just watch out for the wild boars running across the roads.

singletrackmind

Goats ! Thousands of em !
    Empty roads in surprising good condition , despite the snow they do get up in the hills. The Haute Corse is really aptly named . Some tough climbing once away from the perimiter of the island. I would sometimes ride for hours without being overtaken.
    Loved it , I would go back and try a 10 day break staying in 2 different places if i could.
    Get a road bike , some 32c tyres and a compact chainset . The main GR walkway is a tough walk , quite alot of it is backcountry , didnt walk it but my road rides criss-crosed it.
    Looked to be some tough but good mtb trails, iirc threr is a big race loop they do .
    Some nice harbours and super ice cream places near where i was based , Mark Warner hotel , bit tired but ok for me .

Dickyboy

Inlaws have just sold their place nr Figari 😕 so been there a few times over the years. Tips – avoid the heat of the summer, hire an auto rather than manual car so you can concentrate on the roads. Stunning walk from Corte to Refuge de la Sega (best part of mare a mare nord), Bonifacio is pretty much a must, go when rally Corsica is on 👍 been 13yrs since we took a week & cycled all the way round Corsica 🙁

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

We were in Calvi a few years ago. Went to chill out so didn’t go far. The old train to Corte was good & the market was cracking.
    The yachts in Calvi were rather tasty, I spent a lot of my time dreaming of a lottery win. Euromillions that is.

ab1970
    Free Member

Wild swimming: Cascades de Purcaraccia in the South East, and/or under the Genoese bridge in Asco are both popular spots. Deep pools and crystal clear (and cold!)

robertajobb

White water kayaking. If you know what you’re doing that is. Some of the most technical WW river decents anywhere.

I had a couple of weeks there around April time a number of years ago,  and we got mega lucky on water levels (it’s mainly meltwater, but some rain helps some rivers).

The place is stunning.

Check this video from the days when the boats were long and the safety equipment a bit questionable by today’s standards !

(I particularly liked the waterfall at 2:10 into the video when I did it 😄).

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Things to do in Corsica’ is closed to new replies.