• This topic has 120 replies, 65 voices, and was last updated 3 days ago by Cougar.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 121 total)
  • Things I found out today
  • Premier Icon pondo

Had one of the school run dads park on our drive today, blocking both it and the heavily-used pavement* – when I asked him politely if he wouldn’t mind not doing it, I found out that my life’s that f***ing sad, he was only thirty seconds, and I don’t even have a car (we do, it’s just not there at the moment). Interesting how the default position is to attack.

How’s your day going? 🙂

* There’s single yellows applicable during pickup and drop off times, and people constantly breach them, as well as parking on the drives over the road. First time I’ve spotted one on ours, though – maybe because the car that’s usually there isn’t?

Premier Icon WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

We had that once where we used to live. I discovered that you could jack up the front of the car and put a couple of breeze blocks under the sills so the wheels are just off the ground in less than 30 seconds.

For best long term deterrent, keep the breeze blocks near the end of your drive with “Please don’t block the drive” painted on the side.

Only used them twice

Premier Icon theotherjonv

I believe that with no car on the drive they haven’t actually broken any law (ignoring the yellow lines, etc)

If you had a car on the drive and it prevented you from leaving – that is an offence.

[edit – googled it] – blocking a drive isn’t an offence but parking over a dropped kerb is. That’s an interesting one actually – we have the local school field opposite us and a kids football team uses it at the weekend making parking on a Saturday morning a bit of an issue as the parents then use up the spaces outside houses. I have at times parked in the gap where the dropped kerb is to our drive, as the only person I’m inconveniencing is my wife, but am I liable for 3 points and £100 for parking over ‘my own’ dropped kerb.

Also interesting. Over a dropped kerb is 3 points and £100 but if he actually parked on your drive, that’s a civil matter and the police can’t do anything about it. Unless you have appropriate signage visible day and night etc., or you might  contract a Parking Co to do it for you.

Premier Icon ElShalimo

On the school run normal rules don’t apply.

Some muppet parked across our dropped kerb recently in a 4×4 the size of Belgium to drop her kid off. When I said my wife needed to get out to visit her patients she said we could wait 10 mins until she has dropped off her kid at school. There were plenty of spaces 100m down the road

Both Mum and kid are very big units and live 5 mins walk away. The walk would do them both a lot of good.

Premier Icon devash
    Free Member

Interesting how the default position is to attack.

Modern life is stressful. There are many stressed, angry people out there who have poor emotional maturity. Our Prime Minister, for example, is a great example of the modern British citizen. The emotional maturity of a toddler, in the body of an adult.

Dangerous combination.

Premier Icon Daffy

Similar thing here, lady in an enormous Ford pickup truck had driven to our village to walk her dog. On an otherwise empty road she parked fully on the pavement and blocking our path from the front door. When I politely asked her to move as we were expecting our shopping delivery, she looked at me and yelled “well, where else should I park?!?”

1. NOT on the frickin pavement. There’s no need and we have a disabled boy on the road who regularly uses the footpath in his electric wheelchair.
    2. NOT blocking someone’s entrance.
    3. On any other black piece of tarmac that you can see if you swivel your fat, vapid head from side to bloody side.

She then proceeded to argue that she can park where she likes at which point I kinda gave up and told her if she didn’t bloody move it, I would and that she wouldn’t like where I “parked it”.

The sense of entitlement is just mind boggling. I would NEVER park in the manner that she did.

Premier Icon pondo

I discovered that you could jack up the front of the car and put a couple of breeze blocks under the sills so the wheels are just off the ground in less than 30 seconds.

Nice, and duly noted! 😀

I believe that with no car on the drive they haven’t actually broken any law (ignoring the yellow lines, etc)

If you had a car on the drive and it prevented you from leaving – that is an offence

Is that right? That’s interesting – to be fair, he was fully across the pavement, if that might also count, so pedestrians either had to take to the road or dip onto our driveway*. Wasn’t really thinking in terms of legality, more of how rude or otherwise it was.

* Didn’t give it any thought at the time but while I was waiting for him to come back, onemum made a comment about walking on the drive because it’s safer than the road – I wonder if she thought it was my car? 🙂

Premier Icon molgrips

Modern life in the UK is stressful. We’re under pressure to get to work and get our kids to school etc and there’s no provision for doing this sensibly, so it all falls to us and we push ourselves to the limit to make it happen. It’s shit.

When you look at how some things are actually managed, it’s insane. We have to try and get our kids from school 2 hours before most of us finish work. There are’t busses, and even then half the kids are to young to go home on their own so we have to somehow pick them up by car. But there aren’t car parking facilities at schools.

It’s entirely down to idiotic right-wing governments. If you want a strong economy and tax revenue then you need people working – so why make it so **** difficult all the time?

Premier Icon franksinatra

Our mountain rescue base is next to the local primary school. I was in base yesterday and needed to get the land rover out (not an emergency). School run car was parked in the zig zagged emergency vehicles area in front of the garage door therefore blocking me in. Luckily school run dad retuned after 30secs and jumped in and drove off.

We also had cars in the rear (private car park). I asked the mum who was there to not use the private car park, she immediately turned it around on me. She complained about everywhere else being busy, other car parks too far away and what was she meant to do. She then took a serious huff when I suggested that she leave 3 mins earlier and walk in from a public car park or, perish the thought, walk to school from home. She said I had a bloody cheek. I said she was in my car park and she needs to leave before I shut the barrier with her car still inside. I don’t think we are going to be friends.

Free Member

Another technique I have heard of but never tried is to get big A4 stickers and print the appropriate messaged such as “Please don’t park here” or what ever you choose. When they do park there you stick the sticker on the windscreen like they do when you are wheel clamped.

Paper stickers wash off and do no damage to the windscreen so it is not criminal damage. It is just inconvenient for them

Premier Icon Mister-P
    Free Member

How’s your day going?

Marvellous so far thank you. Had a lay in, a cuppa and a decent breakfast. Might go park my van inconsiderately later for s***s and giggles.

Premier Icon nickc

On the school run normal rules don’t apply.

I used to be a lead-governor at a Primary and this was the cause of more complaints and hassle than pretty much every else combined including dealing with the L.A. and Ofsted. When it comes to dropping their kids off at school people just seem to turn into idiots.

We had a town with 4 schools (a primary, a through Primary, a High School and Private school) all on one narrow street, the Head of the Private school even started a mini bus shuttle service from the local Tesco CP to ease a bit of the congestions which was ignored of course, as how else would one be able to show off the other parents, other by being able to block more and more pavement with one’s gigantic disco or Range Rover…

I had threatening letters, watched actual fist fights (both men and women, old young, rich and poor alike), watched parents push a wheelchair bound child (not theirs) out of the way to park in a disabled spot…chaos

Premier Icon richmtb

Pavement parking does my nut in. 99% of the time its just so skull crushingly stupid. There is absolutely no logic to it.

On a normal road with two normal lanes. You park your car, which is roughly 2 metres wide, half on the pavement and half on the road.

Well done genius you’ve now blocked the pavement AND one lane on the road. Where as if you’d just parked on the ROAD, you know the bit where cars are meant to be, you would only be blocking one lane of the road.

Premier Icon thegeneralist

Interesting to see molgrips seemingly being an apologist for these actions?

Premier Icon andybrad

yesterday i parked across someone’s drive, on the yellow zig zags outside a school.

The home owner came out and told me off.

I said sorry, felt bad. apologised again for being a dick. wont do it again. everyone has a bad day sometimes.

Premier Icon snownrock

Not school run related but someone did this to us once, parking across our double drive blocking us both in. No-one non the street knew or admitted to knowing who it was. Unfortunately for them they left the car unlocked. We had three dogs at the time, you can hide a lot of full dog poo bags in a car. It didn’t help but cheered me up no end, never saw it again unfortunately.

Free Member

Can I just check. Is the size of the car important?

There seems to be a lot of rage against big 4×4 and such like. Does this make it better if you do the same with a Ford Fiesta or Fiat 500?

Just wondering why these never get a mention even though they appear to also be common offenders.

Premier Icon jimfrandisco
    Free Member

We have similar issue around our way. Less blocking drives but more parking on the corner zig-zags making it dangerous for kids coming in etc.
    Local PCSO said that even though parking on zig-zags during schools hours in as offence, they’re so under resourced they can’t do anything about it – there’s over 30 schools in her patch, so policing it just isn’t feasible.
    Threat of an actual fine from actual police/PCSO/warden is the only thing that seems to be a deterrent.

Premier Icon jambourgie
    Free Member

I discovered that you could jack up the front of the car and put a couple of breeze blocks under the sills so the wheels are just off the ground in less than 30 seconds.

I don’t understand the point of the breeze blocks. Sure, use a jack to move the vehicle, but what’s the point of putting it up on blocks? Unless you’re taking the wheels off?

Premier Icon pondo

yesterday i parked across someone’s drive, on the yellow zig zags outside a school.

The home owner came out and told me off.

I said sorry, felt bad. apologised again for being a dick. wont do it again. everyone has a bad day sometimes.

D’you know, I wouldn’t mind that at all – like I say, I see it across the road most weeks but it’s the first time I’ve noticed it on our drive. And I equally swear that I said, from a distance, with a smile, “would you mind not parking there?”, as non-threateningly as I could. And he had to shut the door, come and stand… not toe to toe, but just off to one side, and without looking at me, tell me how sad I am, only 30 seconds, I don’t even have a car, etc etc. Of course, once he’s had the rant and he’s back in the car at a safe distancer, THEN it’s the stares and the **** signs.

I wasn’t going to have a go (and didn’t) – I’d have been very conciliatory to contrition! But it’s just the instant recourse to aggression, not because he’s the right, but because he knows he’s in the wrong.

Premier Icon stingmered

I don’t understand the point of the breeze blocks. Sure, use a jack to move the vehicle, but what’s the point of putting it up on blocks? Unless you’re taking the wheels off?

The point is the inconvenience it causes the parking twerp, and thus a reminder not to do again.

Premier Icon dcwhite1984
    Free Member

I have similar issues, my road is a cul de sac that is used as the central parking point for the local primary school.

I have a double drive and only one side has a dropped kerb, so i have no legal standing if someone blocks me in and normally i dont have an issue as they will only be 5/10 minutes and i dont actually use my car to get to work so no biggie if i am blocked in.

One Saturday morning they must have had some sort of event at the school and someone parked and blocked me in, i saw them get out and politely asked if they would mind moving it so i could get out and then they could move back and block the driveway with no issues as i’ll be out all day.

The torrent of abuse i got back was ridiculous, you’d have thought id asked them to give up their third child to allow them access to park.

I wasnt being unreasonable or horrible, literally just said “Excuse me im going out in a minute, can i just get my car off the drive?” she then re-iterated to me that i have no legal right as its not a dropped kerb, which i wholeheartedly agreed with and tried to say that im not stopping her, just asking if she can move it out the way for two minutes so i can get off the drive.

I have given up trying to reason with idiots.

Premier Icon footflaps

Modern life is stressful. There are many stressed, angry people out there who have poor emotional maturity.

Certainly there are a lot of stressed, angry drivers on the roads…

Premier Icon jambourgie
    Free Member

The point is the inconvenience it causes the parking twerp, and thus a reminder not to do again.

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>Ahh ok. Seems to me they’re just stuck blocking your drive for longer that way. I’d rather move the car out with a jack. Leave it blocking the road (but not my drive) where it might get a ticket, or towed.</span>

Plus, blocks under the sills? Come on, that’s potentially microscopically scratching somebody’s precious pride and joy. You risk assault or litigation.

Can you tell I’ve put some thought into this? 🙂

Premier Icon Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Modern life in the UK is stressful. We’re under pressure to get to work and get our kids to school

Get out of bed 10 minutes earlier, makes things a lot easier. And walk a few hundred metres with your kids, it’ll be good for you and them.

Premier Icon footflaps

There seems to be a lot of rage against big 4×4 and such like. Does this make it better if you do the same with a Ford Fiesta or Fiat 500?

Just wondering why these never get a mention even though they appear to also be common offenders.

I reckon I see more bad driving from 4×4 owners than smaller cars. There was a study a while back that confirmed the BMW nob hypothesis, agressive drivers are more likely to own prestige brand cars eg BMWs. I suspect selfish, entitled people are more likely to buy 4x4s than smaller cars.

Free Member

Plus, blocks under the sills? Come on, that’s potential microscopically scratching somebody’s precious pride and joy. You risk assault or litigation.

Can you tell I’ve put some thought into this? 🙂

I did it about 20 years ago so less litigation at the time. I used a trolley jack to raise the back wheels off the ground to negate the handbrake and rolled the car clear of the drive. I then jacked up the front of the car (front wheel drive hatchback) and put the breeze block under the sills below the front doors. This was not designed to cause damage or danger, just inconvenience as they had to jack up each side of the car to remove the blocks. A polite note under the windscreen requested they didn’t block residents drives in future.

Premier Icon franksinatra

Get out of bed 10 minutes earlier, makes things a lot easier. And walk a few hundred metres with your kids, it’ll be good for you and them.

Very much this. Thee is plenty of parking in our town for the primary school. Some people though regard it as their purpose in life to park within 100m of the school gates.

I don’t get it though. Our neighbours drive their kids to school every day, every single day without fail. We are blessed that we have quite close access to an old railway line bike path. It spits kids out at the back of the school. A very pleasant 10 min bike ride. When my kids were at primary they rode as part of a little peloton, about 8 of them would meet up and ride in all year round. They did this form about P4 age but always with older kids. They enjoyed it, it was healthier for them, easier for me and better for environment. A complete no brainer. The kids next door (who all have bikes) have never ridden in. It seems a complete no brainer to me.

Premier Icon yourguitarhero
    Free Member

4*4s are harder to put on breeze blocks due to higher ground clearance so helps avoid their vigilante parking punishment

Premier Icon jambourgie
    Free Member

My main gripe with 4×4’s is in a city environment. They hold everything up. Plenty of streets with cars parked both sides for example, but still wide enough for two small cars to get through simultaneously. But not so with some massive Range Rover type thing. Plus they’re always so bloody precious about damaging the thing so they must have at least a metre clearance on each side…

If I had my way, all cars in cities would have to be tiny hatchbacks with massive bumpers. And you’re not allowed to claim from other people for twatty little knocks and scratches. That should be seen as part of the consequences of using your personal possessions in the street.

Premier Icon footflaps

Some people though regard it as their purpose in life to park within 100m of the school gates.

Too dangerous to cycle, there are all those 4x4s on the road…..

Also possible a social status thing, a bit like the faux Thatcher quote ‘When I see a man on a bus, I see a man who has failed’. Just replace bus with bicycle etc.

Premier Icon multi21
    Free Member

dcwhite1984
    Free Member

I have similar issues, my road is a cul de sac that is used as the central parking point for the local primary school.

I have a double drive and only one side has a dropped kerb, so i have no legal standing if someone blocks me in and normally i dont have an issue as they will only be 5/10 minutes and i dont actually use my car to get to work so no biggie if i am blocked in.

One Saturday morning they must have had some sort of event at the school and someone parked and blocked me in, i saw them get out and politely asked if they would mind moving it so i could get out and then they could move back and block the driveway with no issues as i’ll be out all day.

The torrent of abuse i got back was ridiculous, you’d have thought id asked them to give up their third child to allow them access to park.

I wasnt being unreasonable or horrible, literally just said “Excuse me im going out in a minute, can i just get my car off the drive?” she then re-iterated to me that i have no legal right as its not a dropped kerb, which i wholeheartedly agreed with and tried to say that im not stopping her, just asking if she can move it out the way for two minutes so i can get off the drive.

I have given up trying to reason with idiots.
    Posted 2 minutes ago

You should have moved your car into the space she’d made, left it there and gone back inside.

Premier Icon johnners
    Free Member

If I had my way, all cars in cities would have to be tiny hatchbacks with massive bumpers. And you’re not allowed to claim from other people for twatty little knocks and scratches.

I’m not convinced encouraging people to hit things with their car is a great idea, even if they’re doing it in a tiny hatchback.

Premier Icon steve_b77
    Free Member

Not in the slightest, but to many posting on here it seems that large car equals natural entitlement.

We have various issues on our cul-de-sac at the weekend with inconsiderate parking when the forest car parks are full or people can’t be arsed paying £6 for the car-park, a polite word often works and a suggestion that they actually pay to (help) maintain the facilities they intend to use.

Everyone is capable of doing something inconsiderate to others, even if what they do they do not consider it inconsiderate themselves.

I’d also argue the point that no-one has their own drop-kerb unless their property boundary and therefore maintenance requirements extend to the edge of said kerbing, they’re LA owned.

Premier Icon TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Oh the angst it causes. Used to wind me up no end, not anymore. Yesterday a neighbor couldnt get parked in their drive so put their car in front of my house. Really apologetic to my wife for some reason. I couldnt believe it and insisted that if she ever finds herself stuck, my driveway is a free space for her. No big deal.

The one that really got my back up was the school run mums parking all over the place to save 20yds walk. All making it seriously dangerous for their precious offspring to cross the road. When i pointed this out once i was asked who the hell i was by more than one orange colour umpa lumpa. I realised that if the safety of their own children didnt convince them to walk a little further then they really can only learn their lesson the hard way. I havent read of any fatalities yet but its going to happen. Its on the bottom of a big slippery hill where cars cant even get up in the winter. Bus stops on both sides of the road with cars turning it into a big chicane with kids crossing or stood waiting. A bus coming down the road on a icy day could take out an entire classroom in one go. I wrote to the school to point this out but it wasnt taken seriously.

Premier Icon richmtb

We are actually quite lucky with our primary school. It has a church adjacent to it and they let the school use the decent sized car park.

It still doesn’t stop some people driving like utter **** though.

A woman in an XC60 the other day managed to park at 45 degrees across two spaces. Despite the car park being busy, she had no problem with taking up two spaces. Just as she was returning to her car I parked correctly on one side and a Transit parked correctly on the other, effectively blocking her in.

I walked my daughter to the school gate at normal speed, but the caretaker is a mountain biker so I had a nice chat with him before I got back to my car 😀

Premier Icon desperatebicycle
    Free Member

Oh, ignore that (if you saw it). I’ve fallen into the STW trap of questioning/attacking the wrong thing. Catching isn’t it?! 😆

Premier Icon Cougar

Whilst Jon is (sadly) correct regarding kerbs etc and there’s no law against parking on the pavement (unless you’re in London where there’s a bylaw), it is I believe unlawful to wilfully obstruct the highway / footway. So if you can’t get a wheelchair past, they’re breaking the law.

I think.

Free Member

What about a non-aggressive No Parking sign?

Premier Icon Cougar

agressive drivers are more likely to own prestige brand cars eg BMWs

Correlation vs causation?

I had a big daft German motor as a company car once (actually twice, an A6 Avant and an E-class Merc) (not by choice, it was all that was left in the pool and I got lucky). I found myself having to drive to the stereotype because no bugger gives you an even break, you indicate and rather than letting you out people accelerate to close gaps.

The trope about BMW / Audi drivers not indicating? Well that’s why, it just tips the buggers off, you only have yourselves to blame.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 121 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.