Home Forums Bike Forum The new Aluminium Scandal 29er from on one / planet x

• This topic has 1,231 replies, 200 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by brant.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,161 through 1,200 (of 1,232 total)
  • The new Aluminium Scandal 29er from on one / planet x
  • damascus
    Free Member

£799 for rochshox Judy silver and sx

£999 for rockshox 35s and nx

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/YBOOSCGX/on-one-scandal-sram-gx-mountain-bike

Considering the frame is £499 but has ranged between £150 and £799 it’s a pretty good deal.

intheborders
    Free Member

Just ordered the 160-180 version, I think my others are 180-203…

Bu99er, same as the ones I already had.

And after another hour of faffing, can’t see how to get the caliper mounted ‘square’ to the rotor face with any of the various adaptors I’ve got…

Has anyone actually managed to mate up the Guide RE brake that came on the Scandal with a 180 rotor, and which adaptor did you use?

damascus
    Free Member

I’m running shimano xt with 180 rear rotor with zero issues

intheborders
    Free Member

I might just junk the SRAM Guide RE, as I’ve a pair of Formula R1’s on an old bike.

blokeuptheroad

So, after buying a frame 18 months ago, I’ve finally got around to building it. Took me so long due to cash flow, slow procurement of parts and prevarication due to it being my first build. In the end it flew together in a couple of hours with zero issues and I’m really chuffed with it.  A budget build from a mix of new and second hand parts, SLX 11 speed drivetrain, SLX brakes and 130mm travel Reba forks. Not pushed it yet and need to fiddle with the ergonomics etc, but it rides brilliantly. I can see the full sus getting neglected for a while.

mrchrispy

tidy. i really fancy one but I’m a total fancy arsed roadie now

blokeuptheroad

i really fancy one but I’m a total fancy arsed roadie now

Do it! You’re obviously not a complete lost cause if you opened this thread! 😉  It’s all cycling, it’s all good 🙂

buttergoose
    Free Member

Hey! I bought one of these frames last week. Raw in size XL. Really looking forward to having a bike that is actually my size. Switching from an Inbred 26″ I’ve had a few years 🙂

What I wonder is, how long is the threaded part of the rear axle? Frame didn’t come with one, planetx don’t sell a replacement and I can’t find more info other than it’s 169mm long and 12mm diam.
    I need a nut as well, yes? First time using axles. Only used QR before.

bob_summers

Who’s upgraded the wheels on theirs? What did you go for?

I haven’t ridden for a year or so, but remember the Formula hubbed wheels being pretty duff.

Struggling with the specs, AFAICS it’s 6 bolt, 110×15 Boost F, 148×12 Boost R, XD hub body?
    Mine is the GX Eagle bike with RS 35 Gold.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

What I wonder is, how long is the threaded part of the rear axle? Frame didn’t come with one, planetx don’t sell a replacement and I can’t find more info other than it’s 169mm long and 12mm diam.
    I need a nut as well, yes? First time using axles. Only used QR befor

You don’t change the nut as that’s part of the dropout. Generally, you buy an axle of the correct (or longer) length, with the correct thread pitch for the frame. The thread length doesn’t really matter because you don’t bottom it out.

I can’t remember it off the top of my head but there are definitely a couple of people on previous pages that have either swapped to a Maxle, or swapped to a brand-x axle as the OEM On-One uses a large Allen key that you won’t have on a multitool.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Struggling with the specs, AFAICS it’s 6 bolt, 110×15 Boost F, 148×12 Boost R, XD hub body?
    Mine is the GX Eagle bike with RS 35 Gold.

Double-check the cassette, not all of the later formula wheel’d bikes had GX cassettes with XD drivers, later ones had NX cassettes and a HG freehub.

montgomery
    Free Member

148 BOOST M12 x 1.75, 12mm thread, 169mm

misteralz
    Free Member

I think the Scandal has a Whitworth 8mm hex hole, as only one of my Allen keys fits it.

jonba
    Free Member

Pretty sure mine is HG/NX and came with the rest being GX and RS35s.

I found a ZTTO axle that fitted but was made of cheese so the 6mm started to round off. I’ve been running the 142mm brand X lever option. It’s not boost but the same length so works in as much as I’ve not died or had a catastrophic failure yet.

bob_summers

Double-check the cassette, not all of the later formula wheel’d bikes had GX cassettes with XD drivers, later ones had NX cassettes and a HG freehub.

Cheers. Haven’t seen the bike for months, it’s stashed in a lockup somewhere so I’ll dig her out and have a look. Come to think of it, it may have the basic Fulcrum wheels, it’d be a late 2019 bike

damascus
    Free Member

Hi,

I need to replace the bearings in my scandal headset.

Just wondering if anyone has found a good source of bearings?

Its got the standard Selcof headset it came with which is ok

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/HSSELC158Z/selcof-zero-stack—semi-integrated-cup-cartridge-bearing-headset-for-tapered-1-1-8th–15-fork-steerer

Website states

This headset is an ideal replacement for the FSA Orbit 1.5 ZS 57

• SHIS specification ZS44/28.6 ZS56/40
      • Bearing sizesUpper: TH MR122 1 1/8TH 36X45Lower: TH MR127 1.5 36X45

Thanks

gurnster75
    Free Member

If in doubt email PX, I did for the Silk Road frame I bought a couple of weeks ago. Mentioned I was looking at hope headsets, got a reply in less than an hour with spec, hope part numbers and links to the correct hope headsets (not sold by PX so links to Wiggle).

intheborders
    Free Member

TBH I just took the old one into my LBS and got a replacement – no idea of spec etc.

damascus
    Free Member
    NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Selling an orange medium scandal frame in vgc If anyone’s looking for one….

MrOvershoot

If it was a large I would be interested. Brant was right the XL is bloody huge and at 6’3″ I can’t even fit a Brand X dropper post as even fully inserted it is 2″ too high at full extension for my saddle height.

Shame as the bike rides well but my plumbs are resting painfully on the top tube when stopped 🙁

damascus
    Free Member

@MrOvershoot  I’m 6ft3 and the XL is perfect for me. You must have larger plumbs than me 🤣

Or shorter legs

montgomery
    Free Member

I’m finally building up my XL, bought over two years ago. I’m 6’4″, and surprised how similar it’s coming out to the XL 26″ 2011ish Rockhopper I’m currently on. Bit longer, but TT, stack and BB roughly the same height. Front wheel is way out in front, but the chainstay length is about the same due to the Scandal’s bent seat tube. I certainly wouldn’t want it any smaller.

thereturner
    Free Member

I’m on the lookout for an XL Big Dog or Scandal frame (L turns out to be too small) – seem pretty rare second hand, or even from Plant X 😀

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

First ride out on the vandal today.
    Changed a few parts. Well almost everything. Did use the headset and the stem.
    New saddle and bars ordered the rest is up for sale

intheborders
    Free Member

I’ve almost a Yard of inseam and a Large with a 200mm dropper (and still 50mm showing below the collar) suits me fine – you lot on XL’s must be basketball players and the like.

damascus
    Free Member

@thereturner do you want to swop your large for an XL?

@MrOvershoot
    do you want to swop your xl for a large?

thereturner
    Free Member

Could be a plan!

damascus
    Free Member

In case anyone else needs it. A picture of the Headset bearings below. Best picture I can do.

damascus
    Free Member

New offer for the scandal

VIP Price: £824.99 (25% OFF)

Use Code: 25SCNSX

Rockshox Judy Silver TK 29 and SRAM SX Eagle group set. Perfect winter bike.

chestrockwell

I’d save up and get the GX one as the SX on my old Whippet was horrendous. Good price mind you.

zippykona

Can someone with a medium please measure this distance inside the frame?
    null

cloggy

Exactly 55cm

widge34
    Free Member

How compliant is the Scandal frame? Don’t want to buy if its too stiff. Would go Ragley big Al otherwise

cloggy

Feels the same as my BFEMAX, smooth but not noodly

mikertroid
    Free Member

How compliant is the Scandal frame?

It’s a great ride…. I’ve got mine on reasonably big tyres (2.5 & 2.4) so a bit more give but even on smaller ones it’s not harsh.

I barely ride my full suss ATM as the Scandal is such a pleasure.

Anyone got a recommendation for a replacement cassette? The NX 11-51 is a bit lardy!!

snotrag

It’s a comfy bike.

It’s the one that finally confirmed to me that an obsession with hardtails having to be steel, was outdated.

Mine got sold in Spring and surprise surprise, now its getting wintery I’m missing it.

damascus
    Free Member

@snotrag
    <div>Take 20% off these top of the range mountain bikes</div>
    <div></div>
    <div>Use the code EMX2620 before midnight on Monday!</div>

zippykona

I’ve got 3 sets of wheels for my Whippet that I swap around.
    Was so impressed with the plus wheels in the mud last year that I’m swapping all the bits off my fatty to build up a scandal.
    Was going to do an e conversion but there’s no way it would fit and it’s too nice for that.
    Just waiting for cranks to start building it up.
    null

pedlad

Just wondering if in lieu of funds for a dream 29” build buying this as a parts donor for the dream frame and forks is a way of keeping the budget down ? Then just upgrade anything I don’t like later?

Or is it funny hub and bb standards ?

Viewing 40 posts - 1,161 through 1,200 (of 1,232 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.