Home Forums Bike Forum The new Aluminium Scandal 29er from on one / planet x

• This topic has 1,231 replies, 200 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by brant.
Viewing 40 posts - 961 through 1,000 (of 1,232 total)
  • The new Aluminium Scandal 29er from on one / planet x
  • Rod

No – sounds odd. Is there play when there is no wheel in – i.e. the threads aren’t cut properly either in the dropout or on the bolt, or the bolt at the none drive side can be moved around in the dropout hole? If the none-drive side bolt hole is oversized it sounds like replacement frame time.

It’s the non-drive side and there is play when there’s no wheel in (only a bit but I guess it’s amplified when you waggle the wheel at the rim). Sounds like I need to get in touch with PX (and start cursing again at internal routings…!)

lankystreakofpee

I ordered one of the GX builds last week (glad I didn’t procrastinate too much as they’ve gone up by £200 since!) and I’m looking at getting a few components to go with it.

I need a new set of pedals as I sold my old bike and forgot to remove the pedals before listing it for sale. I had Shimano Saints which were OK, but I fancy something different this time.

A lot of people seem to rate Deity Deftraps, but black ones seem to be as rare as rocking horse poop, so I was toying with getting some in another colour.

Can anyone tell me if the frame colour in real life is similar to the pictures online? I was wondering whether to go crazy and get some lime green pedals and grips if the frame is bright orange, as there are loads of places who have the lime green pedals in stock: Gopping pedals. I have a horrible feeling it’ll look shite though! Any alternatives recommended for someone with largish feet (size 11.5).

Also, I’d like to order a dropper ready to fit when it arrives, but I’m not sure how much drop I’ll be able to get away with. For reference, I’m 191cm (6’3″ ish) with a 92/93cm inseam (36″). Is anyone a similar size to me and if so what size dropper did you go for?

plus-one

Bright contrasting colours rock go for it 👌🏻

lankystreakofpee

Thanks @Plusone I think I’d rather have the pedals I want in a gopping colour than some other pedals I don’t fancy in black. Now to decide between orange or lime green…

Anyone have any advice on dropper Post length?

lankystreakofpee

My off the shelf GX build arrived today (ordered on the 9th and had a build slot allocated for yesterday). So far so good! I can’t fault the comms from Planet-X and everything arrived well packaged and undamaged.

It was hard to tell the exact colour from the images online and I was debating over green or orange pedals (see above for the level of gopping I’m talking about!) Anyway, I decided to go for the orange and its not a great match, but I still quite like it.

I did some rough calcs on dropper length and I wasn’t sure I’d get a 200mm post in there so I played it safe and bought a 170mm Ascend post. The price swayed me as I picked one up for £125.99 and the 200mm was £169 when I ordered it. As it turns out I’ve got 230mm showing but I didn’t want to wait to find out!

Just done a quick shakedown ride and it feels really weird as I’ve been on my gravel bike for the last few months, but it feels playful and I cant wait to take it out properly tomorrow:-)

bigjim

Finally nearly finished on my build and noticed some side-to-side play in the rear wheel (brand new Hunt Trail Wide). After investigating it further, I’ve realised the movement is in the rear bolt through axle (it has play even when fully tightened – like the hole is too big…

Anyone else had this?

hmm I have noticed the occasional knock in my rear end but assumed it was the dropper. I’ll take a closer look some time

lankystreakofpee

Mini PSA for anyone looking at a Scandal, they are back down to £999 until the 18th Oct. Slightly different spec to when I bought mine (different wheels and tyres etc). Bargain!

jaymoid

There’s a Guy Kes ride video. Spoiler Alert he says it’s really good.

cloggy

Yes well when does he say any different? If it’s not good it doesn’t make it onto Utube. He also mentions a titanium version? I bought the Dog instead due to a dodgy back, then I discovered Dropper suspension posts and Brooks sprung saddles… Love my Dog though.

darthpunk
    Free Member

It said at the bottom of the video “Includes paid promotion”…….does that mean he’s unlikely to say it’s a sack of crap?

matt_outandabout

I don’t think Guy has ever treated a product to anything other than over excited terrier enthusiasm…

damascus
    Free Member

Hmmmm, working his way through the entire range and Titus bikes. Includes paid promotion.

Seems like a nice bloke but I don’t trust any of them.

cloggy

I bought my Dog due to this forum and his review. I can’t argue with anything he said. I’ll add that it will climb any rocky ascent that I’ve got the legs for.

paulneenan76
    Free Member

I’m waiting for the frame to come down again; as good a deal as this is.

cp

I’m waiting for the frame to come down again; as good a deal as this is

Sent you a pm ref my frame

plus-one

The scandal(I got a £250) frame deal. Is a great bike and so well finished with tidy routing etc.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

I don’t know if this has been done but sizing – the scandal and big dog are supposed to the long low and slack. I was looking at the geo and size guides. If you are around 5’7″ they recommend either small or medium but small has a reach of 415, which is shorter than most for that height of rider. Given Brants comment about people riding bikes that are too big for them, how did owners choose the size?

damascus
    Free Member

@cromolyolly im at the opposite end to you. I’m 6ft3 and I buy the biggest frame available.

When bikes just do small, medium and large I don’t even bother with them as I’ve been burned before with a bike that’s just too small.

Sometimes bikes come in XXL like the santa cruz tall boy. That fitted me and XL felt too small. I ride a XL stump jumper but they did that in XXL too but I went XL so that I could manhandle it easier.

Size and fit is a personal preference, what works for one doesn’t work for someone else. Normally I advise you go sit on one but not possible at the moment with a scandal.

What are you riding at the moment? Have you matched the geometry against different size scandals?

I like to use this website when looking at new frames. Add the right size scandal, then pick your current frame and click compare.

https://geometrygeeks.bike/bike/planet-x-on-one-scandal-2019/

Just double check the data already input is correct!

stevextc
    Free Member

Someone correct me if I’m wrong but

I ordered one of the GX builds last week (glad I didn’t procrastinate too much as they’ve gone up by £200 since!)

At that point they had no mech hangars listed.
    I couldn’t understand why anyone would buy a bike you couldn’t replace the mech hangar.

After investigating it further, I’ve realised the movement is in the rear bolt through axle (it has play even when fully tightened – like the hole is too big…

Anyone else had this?

^ ????

cromolyolly
    Free Member

@damascus. Thanks. I’ve had a bunch of bikes, none of them claimed to be long low or slack. I had a Kona unit in 17 (medium). It had a reach of 16.8″ iirc but it was rigid so wasn’t going to get any longer with sag. I looked at the Sonder Signal and Neil recommended the medium for me (he is similar dimensions and designs the medium to fit him) that’s 17.3″ reach.
    I just assumed I’d be a M in the scandal/big dog. Then I read Brants comment about people riding bikes that are too big, so thought I should follow the recommended sizing – except that would out me on a “long” bike that was .5″ shorter than most bikes I’ve had in the past, except my 1990 mtb.
    I should look at ett too, since steeper seat tubes seem common now, which makes longer reach for the same ett.

cloggy

I’m 5′ 8″ and got a medium Dog. You’d think it would fit but, with the dropper post it came with I was 1cm less than the minimum insertion point. I’ve got long arms as well so I wouldn’t want reach to be any shorter, nor the head tube which now has a mild riser bar and 4cm of spacers. Height is a pretty crude guide, not a rule.

duckman

Loving mine more and more. It has been wetter than an otter’s pocket here last couple of week. It is ace in the slop.

mcbyker
    Free Member

Hi.
    I’m could also do with some help on sizing. I’m 5’7″ so right between S and M sizes…any recommendations?

Coming from a 2008 Giant Anthem, which bears no relation (pre-dates stack/reach geometry charts. 574mm top tube; 110mm stem; 26″ wheels), this looks like a good way to try something more “modern”.

I note it’s not a full GX build – the cassette is 11-50 PG-1210 (NX). Is the rear hub upgradeable to an XD driver in the future?

thanks.

damascus
    Free Member

PSA for px bikes. The scandal is currently £999 which is £200 off. New offer is an extra 10% off everything which is automatically applied making the scandal, big dog and whippet £899. No idea if it’s supposed to work or not so get in quick.

COUPON DISCOUNT % OFF
    COUPON: 10% OFF EVERYTHING ENDS MIDNIGHT 16/10 (EXCLUDES FLASH DEALS AND VOUCHERS) class=”save” £100.00 OFF

Code LCVIP 1510

mooseface
    Free Member

What sizes are people / their bikes and how do they ride? I’m 5’10 and have pushed buy on a GX Medium build but I’m in between sizes so not sure if I should be m or l?
    Currently ride an anthem sx in medium

damascus
    Free Member

The large is big, the xl is really big.

Brant designed these originally as a small, medium and large and then px added the xl on.

montgomery
    Free Member

XL frames are supposed to be big, the problem is too many aren’t big enough. I’ve posted this pic before, an XL Scandal vs a c.2011 XL 26er Cannondale. Bit longer, yeah, but I was running a 100mm stem on the Cannondale.

steamtb

@mooseface I’m the same height and got a medium, the large would have been far too big for me… I’ve had large in most of my previous bikes, except my current Sentry and the Scandal.

mooseface
    Free Member

@steamtb thanks for the info I think I’ll stick with the M, do you run a dropper what and what size?

lambsouvla
    Free Member

I have a problem with undersized bikes as well. I’m 6’3″ with ape arms and a 35″ inseam and struggle to find the right fit.
    After a XL Scandal but not paying £700-£800 for a frame!!

Cheers

Mike

steamtb

@mooseface yes, I just put a 125mm brand x on there which is fine 🙂

desfordian
    Free Member

I went for a black XL bike last week taking advantage of the £200 off and 10% code. I think the spec of the bike is great for the money. The stock tyres seem like an odd choice for this time of year (Vittoria Saguaro Folding Tyre / 29 inch / TNT 2.2″ / Black), but I’ll take them off and use them on another bike next Summer. While I wait for the bike I’m shopping around for 2.5/2.6 tyres for the Winter. At the moment I’m thinking a Minion DHF or WTB Vigilante on the front, not so sure about the rear.

damascus
    Free Member

I’m running schwalbe nobby nics 2.6 front and back on mine tubeless. They’ve been superb.

desfordian
    Free Member

I couldn’t find any good deals on Nobby Nics (I run one a s a rear on another bike and think it’s very good). In the end I’ve settled for a 2.6 WTB Trail Boss for the rear and a 2.6 Bontrager SE5 for the front. The bike doesn’t come for a few more weeks, but 2.6 tyres seemed to be selling out a quite a few places so I didn’t want to get caught out.

desfordian
    Free Member

My bike turned up today exactly on schedule. It was well-packed and arrived scratch free. I’ve taken off the the 2.2″ tyres and will get the 2.6″ ones fitted and set up tubeless over the next few days. The WTB rim strips fitted as standard were all over the place on the rims, but not an issue as I’m replacing them with tubeless tape. I would have been happy to pay a bit more (+£50) for a GX cassette instead of the budget one fitted, but other than that I can’t fault the spec.

snotrag

How’s everyone getting on with the cheap selcof headset? Just found my bars seized/notchy so the bearings are gonna be goosed when I strip it down. Bought in April, so not a great lifetime.

I’ve not had a seized headset since the days of early 00s Konas and FSA loose ball headsets…

damascus
    Free Member

I think the headset was something like £8. Amazingly it’s still going strong. I did smoother it in grease when I installed it though

hamishthecat
    Free Member

^^ This – mine’s been fine but there wasn’t much grease in it from new and I completely repacked it.

cloggy

I’ve just installed a Jessica headset. The tolerances were spot on and it came with sealed bearings.

PaperLawyer
    Free Member

I received my Scandal a couple of weeks ago and I took it for a 50 metre up on the road, once the small amount of assembly was complete. It only took me a few seconds of gently working through the gears to hear the ping of a couple of spokes to immediately trigger the brakes. I sighed and popped the Scandal in the garage, pulling it out again this afternoon to check over the gear set up. indexing seemed OK until the mech started shifting to the two biggest cassette cogs and the mech cage started to brush the rear wheel spokes.
    The bike appeared well packaged on delivery and I couldn’t quite believe I would need to dig it out, but I have the overpriced but invaluable DAG 2.2. They say a picture tells a thousand words…

https://photos.app.goo.gl/XZhNj11WNDrdGF637

The difference is approx 4cm which is the worst I’ve personally experienced. I’ve managed to get that down to more like 5mm, sorted the indexing and stop screws – all now seems much better from a brief ride.

Viewing 40 posts - 961 through 1,000 (of 1,232 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.