Home Forums Bike Forum The new Aluminium Scandal 29er from on one / planet x

• This topic has 1,231 replies, 200 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by brant.
Viewing 40 posts - 761 through 800 (of 1,232 total)
  • The new Aluminium Scandal 29er from on one / planet x
  • beanieripper
    Free Member

Thats taking the biscuit, they are worth about £150 and not bad value at that price. Birdshit welding and crap paint for £600 no way. They just loose credibility in my eyes with the pricing yoyo, ide be gutted if i paid £600 for one and compared it to something “nicer”… ymmv

damascus
    Free Member

They probably have a code to change price when stock is low.

Looking at the site they have no frames left. Just full builds at £1200.

I wonder if they will be able to get their hands on more stock?

matt_outandabout

They just loose credibility

I think it’s been a decade since they had any.

cp

They probably have a code to change price when stock is low.

I’m not sure px have a website quite that clever.

Although listed at that price you can’t actually physically buy a scandal frame at the moment – there are no options to buy. Same with most of their frames, seem to have gone all full builds.

damascus
    Free Member

seem to have gone all full builds.

Probably low on stock, you make more money from full builds and keeps staff busy. Possibly more demand for full bikes at the moment from new cyclists not able to build a bike.

mattbee

Oh my flipping days! Internal cable routing fun today!
    First of all, if you thread the brake hose and gear cable through the removable black insert without it being attached to the bike it’s quite a game to get the screw back in past the cable/hose. That was a fun game.

Then I’ve had to walk away from trying to route the dropper cable through the other bikes in the down tube as I just can’t seem to get a cable inner through and back out to guide the outer through.  Even with the fork out and a light poked through the small hole from the head tube to down tube so I can see what’s happening slightly more easily.

I’m getting the feeling that I should have done that one first, but now I’ve connected and rebled the brake hose I really don’t want to remove it again.

Any tips before I resort to just running it externally down to the bottom bracket?

snotrag

Brake hose goes through the *big* hole on the right hand side, surely?

I’m afraid to say I found it the easiest internal routing I’ve ever used? (not rubbing it in, I know the stress!).

damascus
    Free Member

I found the cable routing on my scandal one of the best and easiest bikes I’ve ever done! Just don’t drop the screw.

Have you removed the bb?

mattbee

I made the assumption that the dropper would go through the individual holes in the down tube as they are the same as the hole in the seat tube. Guess the issue would remain whatever I tried to thread through it!
    I will try dropping the cranks and bb out tomorrow and see if that helps me get it through from top to bottom.

plus-one

Easiest internal routing I’ve done too. Obviously the black plug(unscrew pop out) feed cable from opposite end. Dropper I fed up from bottom to black removable plug all good. As mentioned getting screw back in to secure grommets bit fiddly but no drama.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Why does removing the BB make the routeing any easier?

NB I also ran the dropper cable through the single hole on the right of the downtube. All worked pretty well – I did that one from the top down to the removable cover and hooked the outer out with a hook pick.

Finished the build today. Need to adjust the saddle angle, and probably take a couple of links out of the chain.

null

null

null

null

cp

What bars have you got on there? They look a nice shape.

Having sold off a chunk of bits having cancelled my build…. I got to the frame to sell and thought… Hang on.

So the build is back on!

The gravel bike might need to go.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

What bars have you got on there? They look a nice shape.

They’re some RSP carbon ones from a PSA a few years ago. Been fine for me but a few on here reckon they can be cracky.

cravensmythe
    Free Member

@hamishthecat I have also bought a large andwas hoping to fit the crank brothers 170mm. I am worrying about fit and adjustment as it has a long insertion length.

Do you know if it can fit right in so the collar is at the seat clamp? In theory it should but wasn’t sure if the bend in the seat tube would prevent it.

plus-one

I’m running crank bros 170mm on my medium scandal no issue. I do have very long legs though !

Before I tightened mine up it slid almost down to the collar so reckon you’ll be fine on large

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Yes, likewise – it dropped right to the collar before I’d tightened the clamp so it will fit no problem.

mattbee

Fresh set of eyes and a better torch than my phone and it took 2 min to sort the dropper cable routing.
    Now finished the build. Forks and dropper from Alltricks, eBay Whyte wheels, GX/Guide groupset from the shed along with the bars and stem.
    It’s a size L, I’m 6’2” with a 34” inside leg and it feels fine size wise with a 40mm stem. Think the XL would have been a bit long although would have been less post showing! (That’s a 170mm drop so I guess a 200mm would fit easily).
    Wont get to ride it until next weekend mind, too busy with work!

plus-one

Looks good 👍🏻 I’ve got my rear brake and dropper opposite way from yours maybe why it was slightly easier to route ?

Love the orange outer on shifter ! Pimp 👌🏻

mattbee

Lol, orange outer was all I had in shed, left over from my last road bike! (Well, there’s a load of pink from the Mrs’ bike but that would be a little odd.)

As far as the cables go, I thought it was supposed to be like that as the ports match the one on the seat post but I guess it doesn’t matter that much.

snotrag

I had to add, I’ve been out on mine today on my local trails. Dry, wriggly short sprints on wooded singletrack and lots of park paths and suburban bridleways. It’s an abolute flying machine, I love it.

variflex
    Free Member

I bought one from the original pre-order batch and was very happy with it. Sold on now as wifey moaned about too many bikes….Im 5’10 and if I was to do it again I would buy an XL and go with a sub 50mm stem. Cable routing was fine, a bit rattly… but solved with a bit of insulation tape. Yes paint is very thin but at 150 notes it was a no brainer. Great winter hardtail for where I live. Having said that I now spend 75%+ of my MTB time on the ebike.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

null

First ride today – 20 miler from home. Certain amount of confirmatory bias no doubt, but really like it and even got a KOM. Running it 27.5+ and managed to pinch puncture the rear on the KOM effort… Fortunately my multitool has an 8mm key on it as I had to put a tube in.

wzzzz
    Free Member

If anyone bought a Large and is having second thoughts, let me know I’ll buy it rather than you send it back etc.

Either with/without the carbon rigid fork. Not fussed about any cosmetic damage. Cheers.

plus-one

First proper ride today. Good mix of singletrack rough and smooth. Accelerates well on 27.5(tyres from spares box 2.1’s are lethal !! Reckon 2.6’s is way forward for grip and bit cushioning 🙂

mtbqwerty

Finally got mine out for a 20 mile test ride today…bloody brilliant bike.

The rear brake mount is a bit awkward to get to, but other than that no complaints that my fault.

Bike

misteralz
    Free Member

Hardly been off mine these past six months or so. I was finding it just a touch too harsh so swapped the lock ons for some slide on with hairspray ones, and I’ve replaced the Fizik saddle with a digital camo Charge Spoon which feels like it’s made a huge difference. Tempted to try it on a set of 27½ plus size wheels and tyres if it doesn’t actually make a lasting improvement.
    It’s taken a bit of tweaking here and there but I’m really enjoying it.
    Think my total spend is still under £500, and there’s no way I could buy anything comparable for that.

cp

Liking the blue highlights there 🙂 think my cheap blue grips will be ok!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Ive been toying with the idea of a B+ rear wheel as well, bit of comfort and to lower/slacken it just a touch.

Only reason Ive not really is the Fulcrum’s are fine and I already have a set of 29x40mm rims ready to build up, just need to choose some hubs.

Anyone aware of any bargains?

If like some purple Hope Pro4’s

I have a spare set of Hope Pro2 Evos, but they would need a new microspline freehub, 12mm addapters, 15mm addapters, and boost addapters, which makes them actually quite expensive and I’d earmarked them for the next road/cross wheelset.

There’s some complete DT 370 32h micro spline rear wheels on ebay for £140, which seems like the cheapest way of getting DT hubs, but not sure about the 18t ratchet.

Or there’s the chinese/tiawanese option, but novatec, bitex and powerway dont seem to do micro-spline yet and im reluctant to step outside what I know too much. Koozer do some interesting stuff including a 300g DT style ratchet hub sprung with magnets! But the 12s freehub is only available as an add on so they end up £120 for an unknown.

D0NK

gone mine built up* and ridden, no pics but who cares, not got a dropper post sorted yet, old school qr, but I’ve mainly been exploring local stuff so not needed to drop saddle, dunno how it handles gnar yet. Slacker than my v2 scandal but not as slack as my fs, just what I was after.

Im getting a bit of rattling over bumps, wondering if its cables inside the frame, everything else seems tight, anyone else suffer from this?

Used a boostinator to fit my old 135mm rear wheel, seems to be working ok, will need to sort something else out coz the ageing crest on there prob wont put up with the punishment I’ll end up putting it thru. Ive already tweaked saddle position, bars felt right from the off, may have a play around with them tho.

*Had a hard time during build, everything that could go wrong did, but weirdest was when I fit the rear hub while I fitted the chain, later I went to remove the wheel again, realised it was 8mm, but the only 8mm allen key I have is in my camelbak, which was still the cupboard, so how the hell did I fit it?

ricardowight
    Free Member

Finished building my Scandal up this weekend, and just completed my third ride on it.
    Very, very pleased with it.
    It’s a mix of shed parts and components from a donor bike, oh plus I nicked the 27.5 Plus wheels off my Focus Jam2, until the 29er back wheel arrives.
    I’m loving the geometry very confidence inspiring, particularly with the Monster Truck tyres.
    It weighs a reasonable 30Lbs with the big tyres, so should come in Sub 30lbs with the 29er wheels and 2.4 tyres.ON ONE SCANDAL-1ON ONE SCANDAL 2ON ONE SCANDAL 3ON ONE SCANDAL 4ON ONE SCANDAL 5

ricardowight
    Free Member

I seem to have messed up posting the pics!!

Any tips on how to do it?
    I’m on a MacBook – Cheers

D0NK

click img button and paste the address of the image, click “ok”, hit return click img again for pic 2, etc
    afaik the forum doesnt host pics itself.

ricardowight
    Free Member

ON ONE SCANDAL 1

ricardowight
    Free Member

ON ONE SCANDAL 1

D0NK

looks like you’re using https://www.flickr.com/cameraroll/ as the IMG link which isnt sufficient, you need the address of the picture itself

ricardowight
    Free Member

Thanks DONK.

ON ONE SCANDAL 1

damascus
    Free Member

I use this to post pictures

https://postimages.org/

Upload and copy the img hotlink for forums link. Then just paste it

ricardowight
    Free Member

Finally figured it out!!!
    Here are the rest of the photos.
    You can see from one of the shots that even with a Maxxis Minion DHR II 2.8, there’s still loads of clearance.
    I had some of the issues mentioned on here during the build:
    Yes. I dropped one of the little screws from the top cable guide into the frame the instant I unscrewed it!
    Had to take the forks off to get the screw out through the head tube!
    Also wrestled with the cable routing a bit, but found some good tips on here.
    Thanks guys!
    ON ONE SCANDAL 2
    ON ONE SCANDAL 3
    ON ONE SCANDAL 4
    ON ONE SCANDAL 5

cokie

Just waiting for a part so I can fit my dropper. It’s a superb bike!

forked
    Free Member

Some of these look really good, especially the orange ones.

Not sure why there’s a chainstay protector on that singlespeed one though?

The dropper post hose routing under the BB shell and into the rear of the seat-tube……why don’t other companies do this? It looks much tidier than from the top of the down-tube to the front of the seat-tube.

Viewing 40 posts - 761 through 800 (of 1,232 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.