Home Forums Bike Forum The new Aluminium Scandal 29er from on one / planet x

• This topic has 1,231 replies, 200 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by brant.
Viewing 40 posts - 601 through 640 (of 1,232 total)
  • The new Aluminium Scandal 29er from on one / planet x
  • damascus
    Free Member

The whippet used to be 100mm travel.

I’d send @brant a message on Monday and ask him.

I’m running a genesis tarn carbon fork on mine and it rides well. You might be able to compare the two?

stanstorey
    Free Member

Thanks I do keep my eyes out for a second hand tarn fork, they seem to be harder to find now!
    I’ve just spotted there “special edition” scandal seems to run the same carbon fork…
    I’ll ask next week 👍🏽

cp

Ordered my ‘paint chipped’ scandal for £125 at 6pm on 23rd and it was delivered on the 24th at 9am. Great service 🙂

Anyway, I’m considering forks. Has anyone give at far as 140mm on it?

windysurfer
    Free Member

Running 140 Yari’s on mine just whilst my 130 air shaft arrives ( still not ordered one yet!)

saskowski
    Free Member

what is the max size rotor you can get to fit the rear wheel?

plus-one

Reported

trailtom
    Free Member

@saskowski There’s a bike build on the previous page (15) with a 203 on the rear.

saskowski
    Free Member

Anyone know how to take the rotors off the Scandal?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The fulcrums are centerlock, so you need a bb socket, spanner wont work as the locknut is flush with the disc.

E.g.
    https://www.wiggle.co.uk/x-tools-x-tools-pro-shimano-bb-tool/

Edit: theres multiple bb standards now, i think thats the right one and its shimanos newer ones that have an addapter that sits inside it.

drewd

Anyone know how to take the rotors off the Scandal?

If they’re centre lock rotors you can use a cassette lockring tool.

J273
    Free Member

Ive managed to mash my bottom cartridge bearing from the zelcof headset I bought with the frame.

I don’t fancy paying £40 for another. Can anyone link me to another headset that’ll fit the scandal frame?

Thanks

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

If they’re centre lock rotors you can use a cassette lockring tool.

Not on a through axle you cant. Its a hollowtech BB spanner.

I don’t fancy paying £40 for another. Can anyone link me to another headset that’ll fit the scandal frame?

ZS56/40

Hope pick and mix part E. Its still £35 or so for just the lower part but will be better sealed.

Keep the selcoff upper part, they have an easier life as theyre not subject to a constant spray of mud.

Alternatively just measure the bearing and get one off ebay for £3 or so. It wont last any longer than the original, but at a few quid a go you can just replace them after each winter.

drewd

Not on a through axle you cant. Its a hollowtech BB spanner.

Ah, I didn’t realise that. I’ve only had centre lock rotors on QR hubs.

J273
    Free Member

@thisisnotaspoon

Thanks, that’s actually a good point I can just replace the cartridge bearing. The existing bearing ive thrown it as I managed to completely destroy it.

Do you or anyone know the exact size bottom cartridge bearing? @brant ?

Many thanks

damascus
    Free Member

Anyone else having issues with water in the bottom bracket? Mine doesn’t have a drain hole. Everytime I put it in a work stand, water drips out the downtube hole for the cables.

Normally I’d drill my own but it might nill the warranty. @brant any suggestions? I’ve already killed one bottom bracket.

Thanks

epicyclo

J273
    Ive managed to mash my bottom cartridge bearing from the zelcof headset I bought with the frame.

A small investment in a mudguard and your bearings will last much longer – especially if you can avoid hosing that area.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

@j273

Do you or anyone know the exact size bottom cartridge bearing?

I can drop mine out later and have a look. I slathered it in grease so it should be surviving!

windysurfer
    Free Member

@damascus

I’ve noticed my bottom bracket area is also full of water.

I think it’s either coming down the seat post or in the dropper cable hole on the back of the seat tube.

I’m tempted to drill a hole to let it out.

damascus
    Free Member

I’ve covered my seatpost holes in sugru so it’s not from there.

I’ve got some more so I’ll fill in some more holes. The only problem is if it still gets in there’s no where for it to get out.

Any drilling will void the warranty but I’m still tempted.

windysurfer
    Free Member

Must be the seat tube then as I don’t think there is another way in.

Going to try a bit of inner tube over the seat post / seat tube and see if that helps.

damascus
    Free Member

How is everyone getting on with their scandal?

I built mine as a winter bike but I’m still riding it. The full suss is moth balled.

Some good offers on at the moment

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/ZXSCANDALCFFS/on-one-scandal-and-selcof-carbon-fork-bundle

Scandal frame and Selcof rigid fork £300

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/ZXSCANDALFS/on-one-scandal-and-rockshox-35-gold-rl-debonair-29-boost-fork-bundle

Or £400 with a rockshox gold fork.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/ZXSCANDALFS/on-one-scandal-and-rockshox-35-gold-rl-debonair-29-boost-fork-bundle

mboy
    Free Member

Question about the geometry on these… Might have been answered before, but haven’t spotted it…

Is the geometry chart on the website for static or sagged geometry, and is that with a 120 or 130mm fork?

Cheers

damascus
    Free Member

@mboy, I don’t think that’s been asked. Brant would be the one who would know but I don’t think he’s with px oo anymore.

What size frame you interested in? Maybe one of us could work it out for you?

I’m running a rigid fork so can’t help you

damascus
    Free Member

Just finished stripping and cleaning my scandal. Took the £13 headset apart and the bearings are absolutely perfect, cleaned them up and put them back in. I only bought the headset to get me going, I never thought it would last a winters riding in Yorkshire grit and getting hosed down after every ride.

My scandal has quickly become my favourite bike.

How has everyone else got on with theirs?

mboy
    Free Member

What size frame you interested in? Maybe one of us could work it out for you?

Any would do… Just so I know how it’s been measured really… Easy to compare measures stats against the geo chart.

Didn’t realise Brant had done again! 🤷🏻‍♂️

brant
    Free Member

Static 120mm as I recall.

mboy
    Free Member

Thanks @brant

Makes a bit more sense now you’ve said that. 👍🏻

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

How has everyone else got on with theirs?

I refused to trash it in the grit at Swinley over the winter, so it’s had a couple of shakedown rides locally and hat’s been it! As soon as the weather improved, Swinley shut!

easdoesit
    Free Member

Does anybody know the offset/rake on the carbon selcof fork? 27.5+/29er

wzzzz
    Free Member

Also – will a 29 x 3.0 dirt wizard fit the selcoff rigid fork?

cokie

How are people getting on with their Scandals?
    Thinking of getting one for general trail duties- bit of XC, bit of singletrack, the odd road section & odd trail center.
    I’ve got a 150mm FS 29er for big days, so this would be the winter/general bike..

montgomery
    Free Member

What A-C distance do people running rigid forks on their Scandals have?

damascus
    Free Member

@montgomery

What A-C distance do people running rigid forks on their Scandals have?

I’m running some forks off a genesis tarn. I think they are 120mm for a 29er. No idea what the A-C is.

chestrockwell

Anyone using longer forks than 130mm?

damageandy
    Free Member

Scandal and Big dog frames now at £150 with a headset and seat clamp – delivery £15

Which one to buy???

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Would I get away with a medium Big Dog? Usual ride a large but reach and stack seem comparable to my other bikes

wzzzz
    Free Member

not a large big dog – sold out already

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Would I get away with a medium Big Dog? Usual ride a large but reach and stack seem comparable to my other bikes

How do the stems and head angles compare?

Everything’s got a longer reach than it used to have, but also has a slacker head angle and shorter stem. So handlebars are by and large still in the same place relative to the saddle. This isn’t 2004 anymore, 69deg head angles and 40mm stems are thankfully not a fashion anymore.

I’d get a large if that’s what you normally ride, going off a couple of measurements is fine, but the designers hopefully balanced everything else to make it handle well. At an extreme example, the reach and stack of a recumbent is very different. But combined with whatever the angles, wheelbase, stem length etc work out as still results in something with vaguely neutral handling.

Whenever I’ve deviated from the size guide (or rounded down rather than up) I’ve always regretted it.

core

I ordered a cheap frame bundle last night, not really sure what I’m going to do with it, but I’ve got one coming (I hope).

A couple of questions:

1) What’s the BB height like with a 120mm fork?
    2) Was the head angle ever established? 65 degrees at 120mm static?

I had a MK2 Scandal (all aluminium) and while it was great in some ways, and light, I thought it pretty nervous downhill and in technical stuff, not that I was trying to ride DH trails. Just wondering how the new geo will compare, it’s a lot slacker, a longer fork, and generally more modern, but I envisage it doing a similar job (long, mixed, local rides with a fair bit of road), just better on the downs… I like the long aspect of new bikes, I was always running stems 20-30mm longer than advised on ‘old geo’ bikes to get comfortable. I guess the effect of the slacker head angle will be offset a bit by a short stem…

Also, I presume OO/PX are spec’ing all these bikes with 35mm forks because they got a lorry load cheap? Seems a slightly odd pairing with relatively light frames (Whippet has the same 35mm fork)?

mboy
    Free Member

Also, I presume OO/PX are spec’ing all these bikes with 35mm forks because they got a lorry load cheap? Seems a slightly odd pairing with relatively light frames (Whippet has the same 35mm fork)?

A fair assumption, given the Gold RL shares the same chassis as a Lyrik or Yari, meaning they are tough as old boots! It’s not even the lighter Pike/Revelation chassis.

A couple of questions:

1) What’s the BB height like with a 120mm fork?
    2) Was the head angle ever established? 65 degrees at 120mm static?

Brant responded thus to my geometry question…

Static 120mm as I recall.

So if accurate, you’ll have a 58mm BB drop static, which equates to 313mm static BB height on 2.35″ Schwalbe, or around 310mm on 2.3″ Maxxis.

Viewing 40 posts - 601 through 640 (of 1,232 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.