Home Forums Bike Forum The new Aluminium Scandal 29er from on one / planet x

• This topic has 1,231 replies, 200 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by brant.
Viewing 40 posts - 481 through 520 (of 1,232 total)
  • The new Aluminium Scandal 29er from on one / planet x
  • henrik
    Free Member

I am gonna build it up with the 120 Judys from PX. Just need to buy the rest now..

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Just got the e-mail inviting me in to build it.

10% off, and a breakfast roll? You really should have lead with the breakfast in the marketing!

#youdontgetthatwithatrek

bob_summers

Mid Nov is starting to feel a long way off with this dry weather and dusty trails…

redmist
    Free Member

@henrik I also bought the bargainacious Judys from PX, and a set of fulcrum red powers from CRC. Now debating over XT, SLX or new XD free hub plus eagle. I only ride a mountain bike for a few weekends a year and a week or so each summer so this seemed like an ideal opportunity to build up something modern and fun on a decent budget. My old ‘dale F1000 is still going strong but at over 15 years old I fancied trying something a bit more ‘up to date’! Going to pick up the frame tomorrow, pretty excited to get building.

saskowski
    Free Member

Scandal frame for sale

I ordered the frame, then got upsold for the complete bike but planet X sent both anyway (charged for both still)…. Going to send frame back unless anyone interested in buying it at less £250 but more than pre order price… Let me know

damascus
    Free Member

Does anyone know what thread the rear maxle is?

I don’t want to have to carry an 8mm key round with me and I’m looking for a quick release maxle to swop it for.

Thanks

moonsaballoon

Yep , what Damascus said .

brant
    Free Member

M12 x 1.75mm thread
    12mm threaded length.
    169mm end to shoulder.

damascus
    Free Member

Thanks Brant. I did think about asking on live chat but I thought they may get it wrong or just ask you anyway.

Right. Anyone found a good deal in a rear maxle?

whatgoesup

A very dull question – should there have been the red plastic mech position guide tool with the bike as I assume it comes with the mech? (Or not as the mechs would be OEM?)

If not – to make life easier than measuring – is there a template anywhere to print one onto paper /card?

tomcrow99

Cheap Maxle option:

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/brand-x-twist-lever-thru-axle/rp-prod176625

I have a Allen key one on another bike and it is decent. QR version should be good I imagine.

bob_summers

So an 8mm Allen gets the wheels off? Ta for that, I wouldn’t have realised that til I was fixing a puncture at the furthest point of the loop..

Mine gets built this week apparently.

damascus
    Free Member

Has anyone fitted the brand x maxle yet?

faustus

I’m wondering about the maxle too. The boost option looks like it is too long (180mm vs 169mm as brant said above). If it’s just a matter of sawing off a bit of thread at the end, i’m fine with that.

Just waiting for the Canyon ebay dropper (thanks for PSA above!) and a ebay ztto lever to arrive, before building it up.

variflex
    Free Member

So a new hanger sorted my axle problem… cheers PX
    Daft question but does a stealth dropper cable need to pop out the back insert in the seat tube or does it run via the BB shell? Reason I ask is that I can see only two cable inserts towards base of downtube (eg 1 for brake and 1 for gear cable). I must be having a magic moment otherwise

faustus

from memory, isn’t there another port at the side of the downtube near the bottom, think the dropper goes under BB on one of the 3 cable bosses, then in that hole and out one of the top left pair of holes?

EDIT – just looked at the product pics on the website, there’s a double port and a single port at the bottom of the downtube…the double port is black but it’s not obvious it takes 2, but it does

variflex
    Free Member

Thanks Faustus – will give it a go… had assumed it could only take one cable.

bigjim

Sales order number Bigjim please.

Oh hello, err SO1754787. But I will drop you a PM shortly as there’s something else…

bigjim

Received my frame last week, seems great for the money, good weight, well finished. Sadly it doesn’t say NO NO on it. Need to sort a few boost related things but looking forward to building it up.

Not sure a wheel box was the best thing to post an XL 29er frame in though, planet x!

bigjim

Has anyone bought that Selcof headset from O-O and if so is the top cap thingy as tall as it looks on the website? I have a terribly short steerer tube to work with and need the lowest stack I can find, unfortunately I can’t use the Gusset one from my Parkwood on the Scandal.

misteralz
    Free Member

Yeah, I got one purely because I knew it would fit since Brant said so upthread. Think it’s just weirdly photographed, as it doesn’t seem to be much more than 10mm tall. You could probably mix and match, though.

damascus
    Free Member

@bigjim. Here’s my Selcof headset on an xl frame. Ignore the bag and Garmin mount

If your steerer is too short, here’s a stealth add 😁 I’m open to offers. X fusion 29er forks in the classifieds.

Latest Classified Ads

whatgoesup

I was out on mine tonight – yep it’s great and I’m now planning how to get to some proper mountains / trail centres etc to enjoy it.

My “old” Scandal 29er has now been converted back to a SS for general winter use – I took it for a quick spin last night to check it generally works. Blimey – they are two VERY different bikes – the old very quick steering, very light (well it would be SS and with ZTR Crest rims) – the new feels properly “burly” by comparison.

Strangely the new one doesn’t seem any slower when riding (unless the group I am riding with got slower which is possible I suppose).

The dropper post hole on the back of the seat tube seems like a prime spot to get mud and water in the frame – some sugru or similar will be sealing that up soon methinks. The hole on the underside of the downtube just in front of the BB is similar but not quite as bad.

One question for the hive mind: could the dropper cable be run internally all the way from the seat tube to the front exit location, i.e. pass through the bottom bracket shell? The under BB external cable route seems like a bit of a mud-trap as it is?

faustus

Keep it open and unsealed. Air will help it dry

variflex
    Free Member

Any ideas for solving the cable rattle from cables in downtube? trying to find ways to tension the cables but of course the exit holes dont have anything I can attach a zip tie to.

bob_summers

Mine’s coming (complete) next week. Anyone know how the complete bikes ship, ie would it be prudent to get a hanger on order, or do they ship with wheels and mech on etc?

damascus
    Free Member

Any ideas for solving the cable rattle from cables in downtube? trying to find ways to tension the cables but of course the exit holes dont have anything I can attach a zip tie to.

Which cable is rubbing? Did you route the cables the same side or cross over? Do you have a dropper cable? Mines a seat lever dropper with no cable.

I kept mine the same side and I haven’t heard a peep from them.

I’ve just come back from another ride. I’m loving it as a rigid so I’ve decided to sell the suspension forks and go 29er plus ish.

I took it down the roughest local stuff I ride. I was slower but I could ride it all and I was able to link up some great bits of track I normally wouldn’t link and it was great to ride.

share images[/url]

windysurfer
    Free Member

I had a bit of cable rattle for the rear brake hose which is route though the single fixed hole on the drive side. I just pulled a bit of slack hose out and wrapped a few turns of insulation tape around the hose until it was tight in the hole, then pulled the hose back though. Seems to have stopped it.

Loving mine for messing about in the local woods, currently running 29er front and a 27.5+ on the rear. Full susser hasn’t had a look in!

brant
    Free Member

Loving mine for messing about in the local woods, currently running 29er front and a 27.5+ on the rear. Full susser hasn’t had a look in!

Pics!

whatgoesup

I tried to fix my “wobbly” front tyre tonight…. the Continental Mountain Kings that I selected to come with the bike.

The rim is running true, but the tyre deflects to the side at by a good few mm at one point.

I assumed it just wasn’t seated properly so put a tube back in, soapy water and inflated to 65PSI. I also rotated the tyre 180 deg so I could check whether the wobble follows the rim or the tyre.
    Re-setting it up tubeless, the wobble is still there – at the same point relative to the tyre as it was before. It is seated properly – the “witness” mark runs perfectly around the rim on both side.

A quick search suggests some tyres, most notably Continentals have a similar problem and get replaced under warranty. Any ideas to suggest before I contact On-One for return, inspection, replacement (sounds like a right faff) ?

bigjim

bigjim. Here’s my Selcof headset on an xl frame

Cheers for that, it looks taller than I can use but I thiiiink I should be able to use the top cap thingy from my gusset one which is very low stack. Hopefully I won’t need new forks!

damascus
    Free Member

Whats the biggest tyre/rim combination people have got in the back of the frame?

I’m thinking of going 29er plus. I know my genesis tarn fork will go upto 3 inch. The back can easily take a 2.5. It’s got a 2.35 maxxis at the moment with loads of space. Before I waste some money on expensive rubber that’s too big. Any photos of fat tyres?

Any recommendations for 29er plus tyres and rims? Based in West Yorkshire with wet mud and grit.

Thanks

brant
    Free Member

It won’t go full 29plus at the back. Can go 3.0 on B+

variflex
    Free Member

Thanks for everyone’s input…. finally got everything built up. A mix of old and new parts but pretty happy with this.

IMG_1832<script async src=”//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js” charset=”utf-8″></script>

damascus
    Free Member

It won’t go full 29plus at the back. Can go 3.0 on B+

I’m thinking a 29er x 2.6 nobby nic will fit on the rear. A 2.8 on the front. Just need someone to check before I buy something

Is that called 29er plus minus? I’m old school, anything bigger than 2.35 is a plus tyre to me.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

Anyone who got a medium frame happen to remember (or can look) at the dimensions of the box it came in?

windysurfer
    Free Member

I’ve had a 29 x 2.6 butcher om 30mm rim on the rear of mine without issues.

Pic from todays ride on the “NO NO” with a 2.6 x 27.5 on a 35mm rim on the back

Another ride on the NO NO

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

So I went to Planet-X on Saturday to build my Scandal and despite an organisational hiccup (the day had been canceled due to low numbers but the message had got lost in the outbox/my inbox!) Dave and everyone else went out of their way to sort it out, Dave infact seemed far more annoyed than me about the mixup! This is my 4th bike from then and I still think the CS is far better than a lot of other mail order places (or some LBS’s for that matter!) despite some of the moaning about them. And they do have whiteboards with targets to answer live chats within x number of minutes, read whats written on forums etc, so are obviously keen to avoid own-goals when it comes to dealing with any problems.

The warehouse is a treasure trove of stuff and an eye opener as to just how much stuff they sell, there’s obviously a lot of the mainstream frames and full bikes built so there are isles of frames, wheels, forks, SRAM kit etc which appeared to make up most of the throughput. But then next to hundreds of selcof carbon raiser bars destined for mountainbike builds there’ll be a box of 3 nitto mustache bars. Which maybe isn’t the impression you get of the business from the website when you’re searching through tens of variations of nitto bars looking for the normal stuff!

As for the bike itself, building bikes is so much less stressful when you have every (jobsworth obviously) tool imaginable to hand, all the sundries need, and a supply of tea and people popping in to gossip about bikes and the industry!

They were having a sale of random stock and samples so I even left with a set of 40mm wide magnesium 29er rims, an unbranded rear hub, some lock-on grips and some roadie silver/reflective toe covers for £5 each! So for £15 (actually even less as they refunded the postage I’d paid so the hole basket of bits came to a fiver!) I’m already most of the way to some incredibly light wheels to go on it now! the fulcrums might not be fashionably wide but the 2.4 Goma’s went up easily and TBH if it wasn’t for the bargain rims I couldn’t really see them being on the list of things to replace. The seatpost on the other hand is the unexpectedly heavy lump of metal in the build but then the buyers of this sort of bike are either on a tight budget and prioritizing the price, or will be fitting a dropper so it’s not really something to criticize.

damascus
    Free Member

40mm wide magnesium 29er rims

These sound interesting. They are not on the website.  We’re they a one off or are they a sample and they are going to be on their new wheels?

I need a wide set of rims to run my new schwalbe 2.6 29er nobby nics on.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

These sound interesting. They are not on the website. We’re they a one off or are they a sample and they are going to be on their new wheels?

They’re “Gipiemme Mag 40” according to the engraving on the side and hand welded in Italy (didn’t even realise hand welded rims were a thing!), but no other stickers, dunno what the story is with them. The sale seemed to be a mix of end-of line stuff, all the the usual £3/£5 socks, overshoes, multitools etc from the website, odd sized frames, demo bikes, and samples.

Viewing 40 posts - 481 through 520 (of 1,232 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.