Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • The Matrix
  • zilog6128

Just noticed the local cinema is showing the 20th Anniversary 4K remaster tonight – one showing, one night only! Just booked tickets. Actually really stoked, one of my all-time favourite films (I just pretend the sequels don’t exist 😂). It blew me away seeing it first time round in the cinema, will be great to see it on the big screen again!

trailwagger
    Free Member

20 Years already….. makes me feel old

IdleJon

A lot of films/cinemas are doing this. I took my daughter to a 40th anniversary showing of Alien a short while ago. (I’ve never seen it on a big screen – too young!)
    Apocalypse Now is showing soon. I’m hoping that Blade Runner gets a showing as well, but that will be 2022.

devash
    Free Member

Great film. I remember writing an essay on the action sequences when I was at 6th form college doing A Level Film Studies.

Kuco

After watching the Matrix I really wanted a sequel and when they did, I wished they hadn’t of bothered.

Drac

I’m hoping that Blade Runner gets a showing as well, but that will be 2022.

Making it a historical film as opposed to futuristic.

I bought it on 4K the other day it is absolutely beautiful.

cubist
    Free Member

There is something about those old Sci-Fi films and the realism of their practical effects in 4k that just looks so much better to me than some of the CGI from just a few years ago.

Drac

Poor CGI is like poor pratical effects they look poor and date quickly.

Blade Runner 2049 is an example of CGI done well.

funkmasterp

Twenty years! That has flown by. Not watched it for a long time and wonder how the effects have aged. I have a feeling they won’t have faired too well. It was a brilliant film, but started an unfortunate trend of overuse of bullet time and slo-mo. Not to mention the terrible sequels.

Still need to watch the new Bladerunner.

Drac

Oooh! £7.99 on Apple TV for 4k

IHN

After watching the Matrix I really wanted a sequel and when they did, I wished theyI hadn’t of bothered

mattbee

I was pretty stoned when I first saw it and it blew my mind.

AlexSimon

Kuco

After watching the Matrix I really wanted a sequel and when they did, I wished they hadn’t of bothered.

Yep – Even now I occasionally think ‘hmmm maybe I should watch them with my kids – they can’t be that bad’ and then I start remembering all the reasons why they shouldn’t exist!

dissonance

I have a feeling they won’t have faired too well.

In many ways not to badly. The technology used though eg the mobiles etc do come across as rather dated.
    Shame they never made any sequels.

funkmasterp

I’ll have to give it a watch one evening. Never thought of the phones. Were they Nokia or Motorola flip phones?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Not watched it for a long time and wonder how the effects have aged. I have a feeling they won’t have faired too well.

For or the most part it’s aged very well because lots of the effects are practical rather than CGI and well done practical effects are pretty timeless.

It’s the same reason why, for example, C3PO is still more believable as a robot than Ultron from the Avengers.

It feels more real, because it is more real.

Once the Wachowskis had the budget for more computers, it showed and not in a good way

funkmasterp

The sequels are very much on a par with the Star Wars films from the same era. Shitty effects and I tend to try and forget they exist. Practical effects win every time.

Drac

Errrr!! The original is full of CGI but done well.

daviek

Thought id missed this but the local showing starts at 10 which means i wouldnt be home until about 1am, might just stick the bluray on instead.

trailwagger
    Free Member

Great film. I remember writing an essay on the action sequences when I was at 6th form college doing A Level Film Studies.

All the stuff going on in that film and you chose to write an essay on the action sequences! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Drac

Thought id missed this but the local showing starts at 10 which means i wouldnt be home until about 1am, might just stick the bluray on instead.

Are you 12?

kimbers
    TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Oooh! £7.99 on Apple TV for 4k

get it on 4k bluray if you are actually after the best picture…

perchypanther
    Free Member

Errrr!! The original is full of CGI but done well.

Never said it wasn’t but the CGI is limited to the stuff that they couldn’t use practical effects for, like the sentinels.

Where there’s are direct interactions between the live actors and CGI it’s usually only a very  quick transition like when they enter the construct or an agent changes body.

The bullet time effect was a practical effect for the most part using massive camera rigs with dozens of still cameras. The only CGI bit of it is the bullet trails.

PrinceJohn
    Free Member

If you want more Matrix, but want it to be pretty good – check out the Animatrix.

Spin
    Free Member

I showed it to my philosophy class at the end of term. You know how cynical 16 year olds can be about ‘old’ films. Those guys were determined to hate it but by the end I don’t think spellbound is too strong a word. They loved it.

Spin
    Free Member

Another reason it stands up so well is that the effects are for te most part subservient to the story rather than the other way round.

footflaps

I watched the original version again a few weeks back, didn’t think it had aged badly at all. Pretty decent film.

retro83
    Free Member

Superb film. Still looks good today.

The one very minor irk I have is that I really wish they’d stuck with the ‘CPU’ explanation of what the machines wanted humans for, the battery explanation is weak. I suppose Morpheus could simply have been wrong about that explanation though 🤔

chakaping
    Free Member

Cracking movie the original was (and is), but also responsible for so many questionable fashion choices by IT bods.

Drac

get it on 4k bluray if you are actually after the best picture…

That would involve buying a 4K Blu-ray player too and increasing my stockpile of Blu-ray and DVDs.

Drac

The bullet time effect was a practical effect for the most part using massive camera rigs with dozens of still cameras. The only CGI bit of it is the bullet trails.

Well that and he wasn’t on a rooftop.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Watched it recently, it stands up well, for the reasons above. Hard to think how it could have been improved upon.

PS, the sequels stink.

richmtb

I don’t think the sequels are that bad, sure they bear pretty poor comparison to the first one and a load of word salad from a Jeremy Corbyn lookalike doesn’t help.

If the Star War prequels have been give the benefit of hindsight then i think the Matrix ones probably deserve to be given a bit of slack.

Cougar

Were they Nokia or Motorola flip phones?

Nokia 8110. Cue lots of disappointed customers when the retail version didn’t have the cool spring effect and, well, they were just a bit crap really.

Drac

Indeed it was. He’s just opened a few minutes ago now they’re taking a bug out of his umbilical.

whitestone
    Free Member

and then I start remembering all the reasons why they shouldn’t exist!

What! Your kids? A bit harsh.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

If the Star War prequels have been give the benefit of hindsight then i think the Matrix ones probably deserve to be given a bit of slack

The SW prequels were stinky doo-doos, too.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Cue lots of disappointed customers when the retail version didn’t have the cool spring effect and, well, they were just a bit crap really.

Unlike the 7110 which was teh awesumz.

nuke

Cue lots of disappointed customers when the retail version didn’t have the cool spring effect and, well, they were just a bit crap really.

7110 did…still got mine albeit haven’t used it for years, probably still got charge though

:Edit: beaten to it

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘The Matrix’ is closed to new replies.