Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • The Jam
  • DezB
    Free Member

Yeah, I liked The Jam.
    Do I need to know what celabriteez thought of them in a “coffee table book”? (I always thought that was a derogatory term!)

http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/thejam?utm_source=mail_out4513&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=person7

What a load of utter wnk.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Said hello to Weller backstage once. He started shaking. I think it was because he didn’t know me.

Lovely road crew. 🙄

wwaswas

This is the modern world.

ton

what a band tho…..fantastic.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4tEX8tm6qw[/video]

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Bleh.

DezB
    Free Member

No doubt, Ton!
    Weller snapped his guitar neck off when I saw them – just by playing it. Magical.

Rubber_Buccaneer

If it were a TV show on Sky Arts or BBC4 or something I’d probably be happily recording it to listen to all the celebs spout a load of guff and feeling all nostalgic. Couldn’t be bothered with the book though, probably because I don’t have a coffee table.

DezB
    Free Member

.just watched About The Young Idea recorded off Sky Arts… it was blimmin marvellous. 😀

trademark
    Free Member

Excellent band, Weller’s lyrics are great.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Ha, forgot about this thread. I also have ‘About The Young Idea’ recorded off Sky Arts to watch at my leisure, just like I said I would 🙂

CountZero

Saw them on the Setting Sons tour, playing Bath Pavilion; bloody amazing gig, no coloured lights, just plain white spots shining across the stage, superb playing.
    It’s taken ’til now for Weller to really match his songwriting on the Jam recordings with his most recent album.
    In my opinion, of course. 😀

irvb

My tickets to see Mr Weller in Brighton in November turned up today 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

It’s taken ’til now for Weller to really match his songwriting on the Jam recordings with his most recent album.

No interest whatsoever in what they’re doing now. Weller says in the docu that he’s still pushing things forward like he did in The Jam. Er, no.
    And Foxton playing in “From the Jam” is just sad – a sing-a-long-a-“Snap!” for the middle aged. Yeuch.
    Buckler has a book coming out, which could be interesting.
    They were both devastated when Weller split the Jam. Still bitter, I reckon.

IdleJon

My tickets to see Mr Weller in Brighton in November turned up today

My wife asked if I wanted to get tickets for this tour. I said no because I saw him a few times in the 90s, around Wild Wood and Stanley Rd era, and really didn’t like the atmosphere. It felt like being in a football crowd, all middle aged men, shaved heads, chanting ‘Weller, Weller’ and pointing. Never been to gigs like them.

Rubber_Buccaneer

‘Weller, Weller’

Tell me more, tell me more- Was it love at first sight?

6079smithw
    Free Member

I won’t hear a bad word about From The Jam, it was bloody good fun you snob

grtdkad
    Free Member

Saw The Jam six / seven times back in the day. Plus the bonus of getting in to sound checks before gigs and back stage afterwards after a couple of them.
    Also got to the first episode of The Tube (5/11/82) when The Jam played a great set (long after the show went off air) and then they spent half an hour or so talking about the break up.
    Great memories.

Foxton and From The Jam? Mint. Went to an acoustic and regular gig last year, both superb. Have tickets for Sound Effects ’35yrs’ for this November. Can’t wait.

Garry_Lager

Bit before my time to see them live, but their class is obvious – great band.

How come Weller’s been so pedestrian since then? He must have not had much time for the music press as they used to take the piss mercilessly – OTT, but his stuff seemed really bad in the late 80s / early 90s.

mt
    Free Member

Not a bad band they are not the Buzzcocks

metalheart
    Free Member

+1

I saw them back in the day once. My sister had bought a ticket but she came down with the flu so I had to go in her stead. It was a good gig (the Capitol, Aberdeen, Nov 78 iirc). 😀

Recently bought a comp cd and was expecting to go, yer, they’re great but ended up going, meh.

Personally I find them over rated. I guess I just don’t get it.

BillMC

Something I have used in teaching

DezB
    Free Member

Have tickets for Sound Effects ’35yrs’ for this November.

Oh my lord, that sounds like the worst thing ever! (Especially if it’s not even the actual Jam’s album Sound Affects 😉 )

they are not the Buzzcocks

Very factual. There are quite a few million bands they are not.

Klunk
    Free Member

I saw them back in the day once. My sister had bought a ticket but she came down with the flu so I had to go in her stead. It was a good gig (the Capitol, Aberdeen, Nov 78 iirc).

best thing about seeing the Buzzcocks, Warsaw were supporting! 🙂

metalheart
    Free Member

best thing about seeing the Buzzcocks, Warsaw were supporting!

I actually saw them on the Love Bites tour. So it was Subway Sect supporting.guess that must make it 79 instead.

First gig for me and it was AWESOME :mrgreen:

Iirc it was Patrik Fitzgerald and The Dickies supporting the Jam. Patrik was ace, the Dickies, well, they lived up to their billing… I’d have to admit though the Jam were good. Very, er, energetic. 2nd gig for me. And it was awesome…. Yer only fourteen once!

BillMC

^ I knew Patrick for the first 14 years of my life, we lived in the same street. I think he’s now a social worker in NZ.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘The Jam’ is closed to new replies.