• This topic has 1,533 replies, 107 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by 10.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 1,534 total)
  • The George Floyd Protests/Riots/Madness
  • seosamh77
    Free Member

Surprised no thread on here? Utterly insane. America is angry as hell..

https://twitter.com/Breaking911?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

mehr
    Free Member

The whole things a madness but its been coming for years American police are just localised milita gangs killing (mostly) black men with impunity. I’ve lost count of the number of stories i’ve read where unarmed black men are killed for being black or white mass murderers are led away safely

Watch this clip of a 4yr old tring to comfort her Mum after her Dad was shoot and killed for going to get his wallet

This Twitch stream is the one to watch

You’ve also got the Karen movement of phoning the cops trying to get Black people arrested/shot

*Edit* Mods keep this one open

frankconway

All posts so far are here

Donald! Trump!

hols2
    Free Member

America is angry as hell.

It appears so. Strange, life seems pretty good to me. There’s an African chap at work that I like to think of as my friend, he’s always very polite when I see him in the corridor. Maybe I’ll ask him why black people are so angry.

seosamh77
    Free Member

frankconway
    Subscriber
    All posts so far are here

I know he doesn’t help and is heavily symbolic of the situation and exacerbates it, but it’s a systemic issue that goes much wider than trump I’d say…

To counter the horrific scenes.

This dude should be held up as a national hero in all this madness and an example to follow.

seosamh77
    Free Member

hols2
    America is angry as hell.

It appears so. Strange, life seems pretty good to me. There’s an African chap at work that I like to think of as my friend, he’s always very polite when I see him in the corridor. Maybe I’ll ask him why black people are so angry.

eh?

mehr
    Free Member

Not even 5 posts in and already the racists are here

hugo
    Free Member

“You should protest peacefully”

*person takes a knee*

“NO, NOT LIKE THAT”

When there is unchecked systemic racism in the American police resulting in the persecution and murder of black people, and when even peaceful protests are attacked and vilified, then it’s natural for people to be angry.

People riot when their voices aren’t heard.

tjagain

One of the causes to this seem to me to be that the local police are poorly vetted on recruitment and poorly trained.

Could be a false impression but watching the various police camera action type tv shows there seems to be a huge gulf between the professionalism shown by british cops compared to the US cops.

Thats the root cause of the police shootings perhaps?

hugo
    Free Member

Also, very low accountability for their actions. The police simply aren’t held to order because of the political control they have with the ludicrous system of having an elected judiciary and state prosecutors.

If you don’t have independent courts of law or prosecution then don’t be surprised when the results are also partisan and biased. In this instance, racially.

To put it simply, state Attorneys General normally won’t prosecute police officers because the police are able to make their political life a misery.

Edukator
    Free Member

Not much better in Birmingham UK:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-birmingham-52690082

The article fails to notice that all the victims of the officer’s violence were black.

Kryton57

I sincerely hope you are not so racially prejudiced and ignorant  that you can’t see what’s going on in front of your very eyes.   If I were you, I’d hope your friend is as friendly as you think before ask him that question.   And to roll out the “I have a black friend” line in 2020 is dispicable.

jekkyl

Don’t try and complain about cops if you’re black.

Edukator
    Free Member

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/watch-innocent-cyclist-repeatedly-punched-18188448

And a more general article on West mIdalnds police racism:

“However, 18 officers over the period were dismissed without notice because of complaints about racism. Between 2014 and 2017, 41 officers were given written warnings following investigations.”

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/revealed-shocking-number-west-midlands-15435791

hugo
    Free Member

Forgive me, but this looks like the police being held accountable, which doesn’t happen without huge public protest in the US.

There is endemic racism in police forces across the world, however, the biggest issue in the US is that it usually goes unpunished even when it ends in someone being killed.

The UK police are far more accountable than their US counterparts.

jabbi
    Free Member

Probably just me, but it seems that in England a police officers attitude is ‘I uphold the law’. Whereas in America the attitude seems to be ‘I AM the law’ and if the shows you see are anything to go by some of them seem to get a kick out of the power they hold over people, not a good thing!

Edukator
    Free Member

But not accountable enough. 18 dismisals, 41 written warnings, 95 current investigation and zero prosectutions.

If you’re a bad cop then you’ll be held to account for some bad things, and in the West Midlands there is no shortage of bad cops:

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/disgraced-police-officers-sacked-forces-16383556

However, if you’re a racist bad cop it’ll take public outrage over a video to get you anything more than a dismisal, possibly. Hopefully the cyclist beating, tazering kicking racist cop will get prosecuted for racially motivated crime as well as just the tazering beating etc. Don’t count on it.

Take special note of the Kingsly Burrel case.

“In October 2017 the officers were acquitted at a trial at Birmingham Crown Court.”

mehr
    Free Member

Just out of interest Edukator, why did you instantly spin the thread from what’s happening in the USA to something that happened here?

funkmasterp

What happened to George Floyd is sickening. The footage is heart breaking. The office responsible should be charged with murder and not third degree murder. Chatting to a friend in Colorado yesterday and he thinks people are at their wits end, peacefully protesting doesn’t work and what’s happening now has been brewing for sometime.

I wholeheartedly agree with what Hugo and TJ have posted. Very naive of me, but it just makes me sad and angry that people are treated differently. To the point where your skin colour can literally mean life or death.

blokeuptheroad

My brother and his family live near Minneapolis. They are are rural but in the same county as the riots and are under curfew. Spoke with them on Zoom last night, they have kids at home and understandably they are pretty scared.

Tellingly my SIL who is a local mentioned the rioters were coming into “white areas”, how are white areas even a thing? I know it happens here too but the segregation there is stark. She decried the standards of vetting and accountability in the police and said the officer concerned had been involved in 12 previous complaints against him for abusive behaviour towards black people. Hearsay, obviously and not fact checked but shocking if true.

My SIL’s family are Midwestern farmers and have a fairly conservative world view, good people but we joke with them about being rednecks, not entirely without some truth. Even they acknowledge the system is rotten and racism is rife in the police, and in wider American society. It’s everywhere I know and the UK has nothing to crow about but it does seem to be even more deep seated and endemic in the US.

pictonroad

Just out of interest Edukator, why did you instantly spin the thread from what’s happening in the USA to something that happened here?

He’s the equivalent of an ex-smoker.

Edukator
    Free Member

Because people were slagging off Americans for something that’s a problem almost everywhere. Racist police.

It was specificaly in response to this from TJ:

Could be a false impression but watching the various police camera action type tv shows there seems to be a huge gulf between the professionalism shown by british cops compared to the US cops.

As an irregular reader of the Birmingham Evening mail (I was born there) I “instantly” thought – bollocks, the only thing that’s missing is the guns, the atttitudes are the same, and span it that way with the abundant evidence on hand provided by the West Midlands police. There’s more, I’ve stuck to the recent stuff.

Edukator
    Free Member

He’s the equivalent of an ex-smoker.

When you know someone’s right but don’t like what you’re reading attack them personally.

mehr
    Free Member

Oh, so you’re a MAGA

fatmountain
    Free Member

Maybe I’ll ask him why black people are so angry.

Hols2: people of colour are not some homogeneous ‘mass’ and treating them as such is racist. Instead of asking your ‘black friend’, why don’t you read a book instead?

Try here

pondo

National Guard marching through residential areas, shouting at peopleto go inside.

hols2
    Free Member

why don’t you read a book instead?

Coz they’re made of kryptonite!

Edukator
    Free Member

Oh, so you’re a MAGA

If that’s aimed at me I’ll take it as a second personal attack. Keep ’em comming kiddies. This is just like a Birmingham playground in the 70s.

kimbers

Twitter now full of videos of cops beating old guys who can barely walk, police 4x4s ramming at protestors, police provoking peaceful demonstrators, arresting journalists if they’re the wrong colour.
    Half the country excitedly stroking their AR15s in anticipation of having to use them. Police have tanks, bombs, machine guns, space marine body armour, militias which have the same, lots of very very angry people, many of whom have just lost their jobs & have no welfare net, a killer disease stalking a country & it’s fully exploiting & exposing their ridiculous system of healthcare.

And all presided over by a bitter , senile naracissist who lacks even the most basic sense of common decency

Fk knows what happens next

Killer Mike from about 1:55

pondo

Killer Mike’s speech was just amazing.

To be entirely fair, whilst there’s much police asshattery, there’s also much peaceful protest and police soldarity.

https://twitter.com/tomakeupwityou/status/1266920326182641670?s=19

pictonroad

When you know someone’s right but don’t like what you’re reading attack them personally.

It’s not a personal ‘attack’ really is it? Just a comment that as an ex-resident of the UK you are more likely to notice negative news from here. Just as ex-smokers are the first to smell smoke. I’m not even sure it’s a negative comment.

mehr
    Free Member

It wasn’t that @pictonroad, it’s a standard tactic of alt-righters to derail the narrative (take a look at kthopkins Twitter feed)

I’m sure he’ll find a way to shoe horn in #georgefloydscriminarecord or Muslims into the argument at some point

boomerlives
    Free Member

I totally understand the protests. I get the trashing of Police cars.

Breaking into shops and nicking stuff is using the unrest as an opportunity to rob with impunity.

Pictures on tv from the US of shop owners sitting on their roofs with guns in case the looters come knocking. What a mess.

rydster
    Free Member

The whole things a madness but its been coming for years American police are just localised milita gangs killing (mostly) black men with impunity. I’ve lost count of the number of stories i’ve read where unarmed black men are killed for being black or white mass murderers are led away safely

That’s simply a lie. The police kill more white people.

link

Black people are disproportionately killed however and this is in the context of the slavery legacy, Jim Crow, and structural issue this has left behind.

rydster
    Free Member

Indeed the video is horrible, not just the unnecessary (and probably sadistic) use of force but its symbolic value of a black man virtually under the boot of a white cop.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Good & bad cops everywhere.

Some have weapons, some have not.

I wish they were all perfect, but we live in an imperfect World. That doesn’t make it ok to be a bad one though, but it does make it harder for the good ones to shine. Certainly I’m not excusing what’s been done – this sickens me as much as it should any other. We shouldn’t stereotype type the Police anymore than they should stereotype us – if you do, well then you’re part of the problem too..

I’m very pleased ours aren’t routinely armed to the same extent as their US counterparts.

US cops actually do frighten me, they seem barely under control. I have no issues whatsoever talking to the Plod here, but I give CHIPS a wide fing berth..

It’s unbelievable that not much has changed since this was written:

Edukator
    Free Member

It’s not a lie Rydster. The people killed with impunity are mostly black men. Others are killed but without the same level of impunity. I think you misinterpreted what was posted, it’s the impunity aspect that provokes the strong reaction. If police officers unlawfully killing were given similar sentences to other unlawful killers there wouldn’t be the same problem or reaction to it. The problem is wherever cops have a sense of impunity whether it’s in Birmingham Alabama, Birmingham UK, Paris Texas or Paris France.

I have no issues whatsoever talking to the Plod here

You’re not an 18-year-old black living in Handsworth.

CountZero

Also, very low accountability for their actions. The police simply aren’t held to order because of the political control they have with the ludicrous system of having an elected judiciary and state prosecutors.

If you don’t have independent courts of law or prosecution then don’t be surprised when the results are also partisan and biased. In this instance, racially.

To put it simply, state Attorneys General normally won’t prosecute police officers because the police are able to make their political life a misery.

This has been covered by me in the trump thread – American law is specifically constructed to make it almost impossible to take the police to account for their actions; in order to do so the plaintiff has to prove that the exact same set of circumstances have happened before, and been successfully prosecuted, not just similar, EXACTLY the same. This is encoded in US law, has been since 1982.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

You’re not an 18-year-old black living in Handsworth.

No, you’re right I’m not.

Part of the problem in UK inner city areas has been the withdrawal of Neighbourhood Policing. This built up good relationships between the police & community. Since numbers have been chopped it’s simply not been possible to carry out this role effectively. We are, pretty much, back where we were a decade ago. Having to build up those numbers, those relationships all over again..

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 1,534 total)

The topic ‘The George Floyd Protests/Riots/Madness’ is closed to new replies.