Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • That’ll buff out…
  • eddiebaby
    Free Member

I’ve seen worse damage, but never carefully parked next to the front door of Tesco Didcot before. I’m assuming it has happened elsewhere and has been parked here as a ‘safe’ place but it is a quarter of a mile nearly from the road so that is quite the drive on no rubber. That alloy is well mashed around the rim.

20210308_142641

johndoh
    Free Member

Someone being clumsy with a trolley?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Accidents can also happen in car parks.

trail_rat
    Free Member

tbf its gone someway to improve the looks of that atrocity

martymac

That’s went more than a few feet after the police stung it

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Accidents can also happen in car parks.

Agreed, but not usually involving ripping the tyre apart like that.

TheGingerOne

They probably had no idea they had a puncture and drove there oblivious to the damage it was doing.

stumpyjon

One of my neighbours kids did that, drove for miles on the rims drunk. The police just followed the line of trim pieces, missing wing mirrors and gouges in the road until they found the car, on his own drive…..

DezB
    Free Member

Is that a cyclist I can see stuck in the wheel arch? Ah well, never mind 😉

Kahurangi

Some folk have no mechanical sympathy, much like the nemesis of Niki Lauda.

IdleJon

It’s not a good looking car but to me it just looks like a standard 2 box SUV/4×4 whatever. A shape that you see on every other car on the road. Or are you talking about the BMW behind?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

The owner must be annoyed having had this done last October…
    Screen Shot 2021-03-08 at 15.55.03

richmtb

That’s not a collision. It’s been driven with a tyre failure of some kind until the tyre has disintegrated and acted like a flail on the body work.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Eye of the beholder and all that. I always liked the look of the Outlander II

boblo
    Free Member

Tsssk, and they didn’t even leave a note…

phiiiiil

Is it parked in a disabled space for comic effect?

mrhoppy

Is it parked in a disabled space for comic effect?

Maybe they’re deaf? Got to be some excuse for not hearing that going off, and maybe suffering from numbness to not feel it either.

trail_rat
    Free Member

. A shape that you see on every other car on the road

Apathy doesn’t make it look any better.

chewkw
    Free Member

That alloy is well mashed around the rim.

Good God! (expression from Captain Hasting)

ElShalimo

They managed to get it fully inside the bay, not bad compared to the parking around here

reluctantjumper

There aren’t any marks from the wheel anywhere on the ground so I’d say it didn’t get there under it’s own power. Maybe the owner works there and had a blowout on the way to work, got it towed there and is now trying to source a spare wheel to fit it and drive home. Do they come with spare wheels?

bensales
    Free Member

Stolen and dumped. Sunroof is also open and it’s ‘parked’ either in a disabled, parent and child, or a charging bay.

captainclunkz
    Free Member

That looks very similar to what happened to me 10 years ago when living in OZ. Had a blow out of the right front wheel on my Toyota Land cruiser traveling around 60mph and it ripped the side panel and most of the front bumper off. Was a pretty scary situation on a motorway.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Did the Audi belong to Charlie Croker?

singletrackmind

My flat is a few metres from reasonablely busy road.
    The amount of duffers who drive on flat tyres is worrying. Bbbbbrrrrrrrrrrrrr down the road, back of car shimmying around.
    I think they hit kerbs and do the side wall in and havr R4 on so loud they have no idea, not many trails of debis though so i guess they don’t delaminate

boombang
    Free Member

@phiiiiil I’d say that car is pretty disabled

tthew

The amount of duffers who drive on flat tyres is worrying. Bbbbbrrrrrrrrrrrrr down the road, back of car shimmying around.
    I think they hit kerbs and do the side wall in and havr R4 on so loud they have no idea, not many trails of debis though so i guess they don’t delaminate

I saw on old bloke in an expensive Jag do it to both wheels on a kerb at the exit of a roundabout near me. Got out, harumphed, scowled at me for offering assistance and just got back in and drove off! I was about a mile from home in the direction he was driving and I didn’t see him, so he must have got a decent way home.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I did it a couple of months ago! I had been on the motorway then about 4 miles on country roads…. car started to feel a bit less “planted” and then I heard the rumble. Pulled over and the inside ‘edge’ of a front tyre had completely opened up – probably from being driven on flat.
    In my defense the fully deflated tyre wasn’t much lower profile than when fully inflated and the effect on the steering was comparatively negligible!!

I subsequently replaced both front tyres and a couple of weeks later I got a small nail right on the edge of the other new tyre – typical 🙁

Oh, and years ago I was driving my V70 down a pretty narrow and twisty country lane when a big tractor came around the corner forcing my to nudge the verge to keep clear. The verge was outside a house where the owner had thoughtfully put stones on the verge to stop people driving on it!
    End result was two blown tyres and a bent alloy.
    Rang the AA who turned up, took a look and told me to just drive the 3 miles back home…. slowly!

trail_rat
    Free Member

, and years ago I was driving my V70 down a pretty narrow and twisty country lane when a big tractor came around the corner forcing my to nudge the verge to keep clear. The verge was outside a house where the owner had thoughtfully put stones on the verge to stop people driving on it!

fits the crime tbh.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Oh probably!
    Although I’m not sure it’s actually legal to do that as the verge is part of the highway and you can’t “block” a highway.
    Anyway I never did follow it up.

(A quick Google seems to show it is illegal…. But late now after about 16 years!!)

trail_rat
    Free Member

Where do you stand on ditches that are dug in the verge.

CountZero

That alloy is well mashed around the rim.

No, it isn’t. Look at the original photo which is higher resolution, you can zoom in on the wheel, and there’s no significant damage to the outer rim, but a lot of ragged material around the inner rim, probably a similar situation to captainclunkz.
    I’ve cropped it to just show the wheel, I’ve seen more damage to rims on cars that arrive at work with fully inflated tyres!

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘That’ll buff out…’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM