Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • tapered steerer in non taper headtube?
  • breninbeener

I have a bare frame with 1 1/8 headtube.

I also have a pr of Fox 32 tapered steerer forks.

Is there an adapter so i can use the too big steerer in the headtube?

I appreciate it may raise the front end if it is possible.

thanks

Ian

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Not possible with traditional 1+1/8th headtube

nemesis
    Free Member

What he said.

ollybus
    Free Member

I think there may be a way, as I understand it if your headtube has an internal diameter of 44mm, an external lower headset cup can be fitted to cope with the wider part of the steerer. I’m sure someone better informed will be able to give specifics. Question was asked yesterday if I recall

kayak23

It’s a 1-1/8″th head tube. You can’t fit a tapered steerer in there as the bigger end of a tapered steerer is 1.5″.

Just a 1-1/8″th.

bruneep

chap it in with this

steering might be stiff at first.

ScoobysM8
    Free Member

1 1/8th steerer will fit in a tapered tube. But not the other way around

Stoner
    Free Member

IIRC back when it were all fields etc, if you had a 1 1/8 “headtube” bu with integrated headset you could possible swap out the integrated lower cup for an external cup that would take 1.5″

wwaswas

Frames with 44mm-bore

but that’s not 1 1/8″?

flicker
    Free Member

As above if it’s zero stack or semi integrated then yes you can. If it’s a more traditional 1 1/8″ headtube then no.

What frame and year is it?

Stoner
    Free Member

its not 1 1/8″ bore, no, but if the headtube was specced for 1 1/8″ but with integrated headset (wot they call zero stack in that link) then it would work, but I bet there werent that many frames like that made.

dobo
    Free Member

I’ve got a tapered fork in my non tapered cube frame.
    As long as the frame has an internal diameter of 44mm then you can use a hope pick and mix lower external headset. you can keep the upper as normal.
    fwiw, nukeproof also do one but the depth on the headset into the frame is greater on that headset than the hope and on my cube frame it wouldnt allow full insertion with the nukeproof but the hope fit ok.
    oh and 1 1/8 refers to the steerer tube i believe not the headset or frame, if that makes sense

bikeneil
    Free Member

orangeboy
    Free Member

The 44mm head tube is very common and used in many bikes that came with normal 1/8 forks.
    Traditional head tubes with 1/8 forks and external headset cups are stuck sadly

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘tapered steerer in non taper headtube?’ is closed to new replies.