• This topic has 6 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by a11y.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Tannus Armour Tyre Insert – anyone tried them?
  • a11y

ttps://tannus.co.uk/armour/

Tempted to try them on my commuter. I’m very happy with tubeless on my MTBs but my commuter tyres aren’t tubeless compatible – Specialized Trigger Sport 700×47/42. Thorns are the biggest issue on my route along with the occasional smashed Buckie bottle (welcome to Scotland). Wife’s got Marathon Plus on her commuter and I’m well aware of how great they are, but I need tyres with more mud grip for frequent tame trailcenter hooning on my commute. Nothing in the Marathon Plus suits what I need/want.

These Tannus inserts appear to add puncture protection in a similar way that Marathon Plus work – with a layer of dense foam to increase resistance to sharp object penetration etc), but without limiting choice to the Schwalbe Marathon Plus range.Has anyone tried them before I drop £55 on a pair of them?

Ta.

poah
    Free Member

McTrail rider’s been using one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqGIfG83GDc

johnw1984
    Free Member

One of my most disliked jobs on a bike is setting tubeless up due to so many different rim/tyre combos and how well they play together.

These have really intrigued me, but I’d need to see some real world feedback before I’d take the plunge.

a11y

McTrail rider’s been using one.

Ta, quite a weight increase it seems – I’ll keep a look out for his follow up video once he’s used it.

These have really intrigued me, but I’d need to see some real world feedback before I’d take the plunge.

Likewise, I first heard about them a couple of weeks ago but haven’t seen/heard any feedback on them whatsoever.

Purely coincidentally, I had my first tubeless issue in 5+ years on last night’s MTB ride. Rock strike on front wheel, hole in tyre and gouge out of front rim meaning the tyre wouldn’t reseal. I’ve never had an issue setting up or running tubeless, but perhaps I might take a look at rim protectors after all.

a11y

Follow up to this. Bought and fitted Tannus inserts a few weeks ago.

Fitting was an ordeal! Bought the 700×42-47 size. Tight but manageable on a Smart Sam 700×47, using a smaller inner tube. But even trimming a bit extra off it there was no chance it was going on my smaller 700×40 Smart Sam. First time I’ve ever broke a tyre lever! Gave up and swapped to a Specialized Trigger Sport 700×47 for the rear which isn’t ideal in current muddy conditions, but it’ll do for the moment.

Not light but if they stop thorn-type punctures on my commute then I’m willing to put up with that.

bornonaboat

Would you be able to fit a 54 in the bike, if so the smart sam plus is cheap at chain reaction

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/schwalbe-smart-sam-plus-mtb-tyre-greenguard/rp-prod118291

There is also a 47 version on the way according to the schwalbe site

a11y

Would you be able to fit a 54 in the bike, if so the smart sam plus is cheap at chain reaction

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/schwalbe-smart-sam-plus-mtb-tyre-greenguard/rp-prod118291

There is also a 47 version on the way according to the schwalbe site

Yep, frame has clearance for 29×2.6 although my mudguards only take up to 50mm(ish). Good find with those Plus versions, 3mm of protection is a lot less than the Tannus inserts though, but might be effective enough. However, I’ve just bought a big stash of the £8 Clement Xplor MSO 700x50s from Planet X!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Tannus Armour Tyre Insert – anyone tried them?’ is closed to new replies.