• This topic has 28 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by WillH.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Taking TheLittleRed to Disney, should we put a GPS on him?
  • thered

Yes I know I’m ridiculous and paranoid but nonetheless, Any recommendations?

Any recommendations in general about visiting EuroDisney appreciated too?

franksinatra

Euro Disney is great. We have been a couple of times. Never felt the need to put a GPS on anyone though. If you are worried though then why not, they are cheap enough.

Meal vouchers can work quite well to keep costs under control, snacks and things are super expensive.

Get there early to avoid crowds and stay late to watch the fireworks.

It is magical, switch off any cynical side and just enjoy the spectacle. Disney put on a great show and that is exactly what the place is, one giant show.

gfsracing
    Free Member

Will he be wearing a magic band if so this is a sort of GPS tracker. They would be able to locate him that the band

perchypanther
    Free Member

Brat nav.

GrahamS

Plot twist: TheLittleRed is 36.

Mr_Mojo
    Free Member

Just come back from 3 weeks in Florida and we did about 10 Disney days. Went with our 4 year old son and never once felt we were going to loose him or need one of those child leashes.

oomidamon

Disney no, but Neverland…

scruff
    Free Member

If you and your wife leave your phones alone and observe him instead of posting facebook updates, it’ll be fine 🙂

mossimus
    Free Member

How old is TheLittleRed

Just been to Disney LA with a 7 and a 3 year old, despite the crowds didn’t think we would lose either one.

Cannot comment on Paris specifically but Disneyland was very well presented, far more so than any other theme park I have been to, most of the rides are indoors so all you see from the outside is the facades and none of the mechanics, makes it all look very nice. The rollercoasters were predictably good more of a suprise was how entertaining for all ages some of the slower rides are, lost of lovely visuals and music.

If you want to save money take your own food in. If you don’t pre-book your meals. We did the Disney character breakfast, not cheap but my 3 year old absolutely loved it and has not stopped telling everyone about meeting all the characters.

Plan for long days, get there early and stay to watch the fireworks/lasers at the end of the day also try and watch as many of the parades as you can.

Investigate the fast pass options, again not sure on Paris but in LA you could get free fast passes if you obtained the fastpass tickets manually from the machines, it is only when using the app you got charged for the fast pass.

Create a Disney account as you will then be able to view all the pictures taken by the official photographers and rides.

a11y

We visited Disneyland Paris last year when ours were 2 and 5. Never once felt the need for leashes/GPS etc.

Mostly took our own food in although not easy when you’re spending very long days there and want a hot meal. Very disappointed with the food places we tried – expensive and just crap quality – and wasn’t until our 3rd and final day we found the MaccyDs which was normal priced. Well, perhaps motorway services prices but a LOT cheaper than anything else.

Plenty of kids seem to get dressed up in character customers for their visit. We did with ours and they loved it.

And as said above, park any cynical views you have and just enjoy seeing your kid(s) enjoy it.

theotherjonv

I’m going to offer the counter view; we lost my youngest when they were about 5 – don’t know exactly how, a moment of inattention, wandering off to look at something and suddenly they were nowhere to be seen.

Disney were amazing, we found a staff member and they obviously have a very well laid out ‘lost kid’ process which meant they were located and back with us in under 10 minutes but by ****, that was a very long 10 minutes.

A tracker would be useful (not sure they existed 8 years ago) but a couple of tips they gave us after I’ll pass on. If you have two and if you can bear it, dress them the same. Then if they say what were they wearing – you can point at littlered(spare) and they will know. Secondly, every day as you leave the apartment / hotel, take a photo of what they are wearing – if that changes in the day (eg: morning jumpers off) take a photo of that as well. They can circulate that very quickly and have people looking for exactly who is missing rather than ‘a blond 5yo in a red t-shirt’

Have a great time, it is brilliantly done if you can park your cynicism. We’re taking the notsolittle tojv’s again this year – suspect will be the last time before they get too old to go on holiday with their boring old Dad – and while it will be different I’m sure it’ll still be magical.

Stevet1
    Free Member

How many days is reasonable to spend at Eurodisney to get the best out of it?

franksinatra

3 or 4 days max

Under 3 and you will miss stuff and regret it. More than 4 days any you will reach peak Disney and start hating people.

franksinatra

If you are driving to Euro I highly recommend Davy Crockett ranch. It is off site so much cheaper but only 5 mins easy drive away. It is run by Disney so usual high standards.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Thanks, was looking at 3 nights at Davy Crocketts but wasn’t sure if we would need more time.

revs1972
    Free Member

If you and your wife leave your phones alone and observe him instead of posting facebook updates, it’ll be fine

That is pretty much the best advice on this thread. *

* applies to most aapects of everyday life with the kids 😁

DezB
    Free Member

3 DAYS?? At Eurodisney?? I’d rather cut my testicles off with a rusty blade. 1 day was more than enough for me. Maybe it’s improved since then!

TiRed

You are paranoid https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_incidents_at_Disneyland_Paris

If there is one place with well-rehearsed lost child protocols it would be… Hmm any clues?

A day was enough, followed by early entry to go on a few rides again.

EDIT

Disney no, but NeverLegoland…

FTFY

franksinatra

Thanks, was looking at 3 nights at Davy Crocketts but wasn’t sure if we would need more time.

That is what we did and enjoyed it enough to go back a couple of years later to do the same all over again

3 DAYS?? At Eurodisney?? I’d rather cut my testicles off with a rusty blade. 1 day was more than enough for me

Here’s the thing though, it isn’t really about you is it? Given the choice I would have rather spent three days riding my local trails but, if I had done that, my kids wouldn’t still bang on about it years later as being the best trip ever.

Kids are only kids for a short amount of time, give them every bit of magic you can.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’ve been twice, and will probably be forced to go again in the next few years as the youngest has never been. It can get very crowded, but security is really tight. TBH unlike Disney World there’s a lot less non-ride stuff for little ones to wonder off unnoticed to look at, you generally have little doubt where they are when you’re 45 mins into a 60 min queue for a ride where they are, they’ll be the little people saying “I’m bored” and “how long now” in your language / accent, although you might have to put a little work in to filter out the 30k other kids saying the same thing in different languages.

Any recommendations in general about visiting EuroDisney appreciated too?

I stand by to be shouted down by others, but I really hate the place. It’s stupidly expensive to go to, stupidly expensive to eat / drink at and offers poor value for money.

If you want to ‘do’ everything you’ll likely need more than one day, the big popular rides (10 or more) will have queues of 45 to 90 mins each, so it would be pretty easy to spend 8-12 hours queuing if you want to, you can break it up by spending £60 on some fast food or £30 for a stuffed Mickey Mouse. At the end of that you’re feet will be destroyed, your legs aching and your kids reduced to crying, angry tired messes.

It’s probably best to try to group your days in the park if you can as there’s almost nothing else to do in the area apart from Shopping Malls unless you want to venture into Paris itself.

On a slightly more positive note, the Movie side of the park is generally a little quieter, especially first thing in the morning and the Tower of Terror ride is one of the few that’s actually fairly interesting to queue in, the ride is my favourite in the park too.

P-Jay
    Free Member

3 DAYS?? At Eurodisney?? I’d rather cut my testicles off with a rusty blade. 1 day was more than enough for me. Maybe it’s improved since then!

Nah, it’s still the chance to spend all day waiting in a queue, being cut up my surly Parisian teenagers whilst distracted by fiberglass painted to look like rocks/fences/Victorian houses.

hot_fiat

Read the reviews of the person trackers before shelling out for one. We’re in the market for one for a parent who has Alzheimer’s and the common thread among all the reviews of all the devices appears to be that the GPS location accuracy is woeful.

An old employer forced us (Professional Services techies) to go to our sales kickoff event in Eurodisney. My takeaway from that was the following: 1. There’s only so much piped Disney music I can cope with. 2. It’s a quick train ride into central Paris; 3. Paris has some REALLY scary areas between the two; 4. food and drink inside Disney was cripplingly expensive, even for someone with a corporate card.

GrahamS

observe him instead of posting facebook updates, it’ll be fine

What’s the point of going to Disneyland if you can’t gloat about it on social media???

DezB
    Free Member

Nah, it’s still the chance to spend all day waiting in a queue, being cut up my surly Parisian teenagers whilst distracted by fiberglass painted to look like rocks/fences/Victorian houses

That’s the best bits covered.

There’s only so much piped Disney music I can cope with

Really **** LOUD jolly youwillenjoyourselfandbehappyyesyouwill Disney music

davieg
    Free Member

I have been twice with a 5 year old and 18 month year old, and was back last year when my girls were 4 and 7. They loved it, I loved it with them and thoroughly enjoyed it myself. It can be super busy, but never once thought I would lose my kids.

We have done Mon – Fri, which worked really well as that gave us 3 days in the park with some bonus time on the Monday and Friday. Any more than that, would be too much I would suggest.

Try and visit during the holidays if you can. We have stayed at Disney Hotels which are handy for the park obviously and give you magic hours. We paid a little more last time for a room upgrade, but found it good value for what we paid i.e. meal plans and private breakfast room.

It is Disney, it is expensive so bring snacks and water and yes it is busy, but I have some fantastic memories from my visits and intend to go again at some point.

garlando

Went to eurodisney last year with 6 and 2 year old girls. They loved it. Did 3 full days. Took it easy as it was hot and stayed in the New York so had a pool to go back to. The buffet restaurants are great as although they are expensive you can eat loads, I thought the quality was pretty good too. I would definitely get food vouchers and book restaurants in advance as the popular ones get busy.
    We drove and had park tickets from sun to tue we booked an overnight on the sat night on the way down to max out time there.

I thought I would hate it but had a great time.

Sandwich

Kids are only kids for a short amount of time, give them every bit of magic you can.

Never a truer saying. We did 3 days. Sandwich junior managed to get his mum on the Star Wars shuttle 7 times in one evening session. Literally out of the exit corridor and back into the ride without queueing.

She didn’t want dinner, too motion-sick to keep food down.

BillOddie

We’ve been twice, last time was 4 years ago when my kids were 6 and 4.

The kids will have an amazing time!  I never felt like I needed to put GPS tracker on the boys even my youngest who is more than a bit of a handful.

Word of warning though, if you have too much fun, the wife and kids will be plotting a trip to Florida.

We did Disney World last summer and it’s a whole ‘nother level! Both in terms of size, expense and to be fair fun.

3 days or so is plenfor DLP.

This is useful: https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/Disneyland-Paris-c-59.html

Take ALL THE SNACKS!

As far as eating, McDs is normal prices. You can get a reasonably priced meal at the Earl of Sandwich.

Character breakfast whilst rediculously expensive is one of the best things we did with the boys at that age.

WillH

Good advice advice about taking pics of them, to help put your mind at rest. Also, write your phone number (including international dialling code, unless you already live in France) on their arm in permanent pen.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Taking TheLittleRed to Disney, should we put a GPS on him?’ is closed to new replies.