Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • sweeping your own chimney (woodburner) – is it easy?
  • lakesrider
    Free Member

As title, is it easy to sweep your own chimney? Local hardware shop has cheap brushes and rods.

Theres a removeable plate in the front of the flue pipe above the stove so looks like access is ok.

I’m thinking the sweeping bit may be easy enough, it could be the ‘not creating any mess on the cream carpet’ that might be the difficult bit 😆

LapSteel
    Free Member

You need a big sheet and a hoover that you don’t mind getting full of soot.

wwaswas

Only copy on youtube with annoying music over the top but you’ll get the idea;

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx1399Z_TB4[/video]

elzorillo
    Free Member

Done mine a few times.. Created a lot of mess too (cream carpets).

Luckily you have an access plate (I dont). Just leave the stove door closed and most of the soot should end up in there.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Big sheet and duct tape. Remove the burner then tape off/seal the chimney area. Then brush away. Hoover up afterwards. I’d cover your floor too – I run a solid wood floor so easy to mop afterwards.

Stoner
    Free Member
    organic355
    Free Member

I run a solid wood floor

🙄

globalti
    Free Member

Simple DIY chimney clean:

Nip up on the roof and drop a live chicken down the flue.

Sorted.

cloudnine
    Free Member

You can buy the poles and brush for about £25 from toolstation. I find it best to remove the wood burner. Insert the brush and 1st pole into the flue and get a bin bag and make a small hole in it to push poles through. Tape it around the flue and just keep on pushing your rods through the bag. The bag should contain most of the mess as you extract your rod.

warton
    Free Member

The bag should contain most of the mess as you extract your rod

😆

finbar
    Free Member

I run a solid wood floor

This is the funniest thing i’ve read all week. My living room rolls on stone flags. I’m rocking some sick terracotta tiles in the dining room.

elzorillo
    Free Member

Simple DIY chimney clean:

Nip up on the roof and drop a live chicken down the flue.

Sorted.

What he said.. but for a 6inch flue you’ll need a bantam.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘sweeping your own chimney (woodburner) – is it easy?’ is closed to new replies.