• This topic has 15 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by nc21.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • STW Ride May 2009 – Scotland
  • jimmy

Just going through some old pics and these popped up. Can’t remember details, possibly Stuarty C’s Glen Clova ride, but thought that was later. Anyone recognise themselves / others / location?

Edit: Scotland somewhere

Steve_B

Yep it was the Glen Clova ride. Just after my 54th birthday 🤪

The route was Clova then hill track to Glen Proven village, up the tops to the east side of G Proven via Hillof Strone and Drumchapel forest to High Tree Drop down to cross the river and return over Kilbo Path.

Your 2nd photo is just after Drumshade and the 3rd might be climbing up Kilbo. I’m on the left looking for more energy in my rucksack and the guy I came with, Dougie, is relaxing on the right.

Still a few of the others on here regularly.

scotroutes

Aww. Look at all the tiny wheels.

Rubber_Buccaneer

and front mechs 😀

jimmy

Good stuff.<b> </b>Thanks Steve B.

There was something else I couldn’t put my finger on about the kit – roadie helmets with peaks! At least, non-Enduro style helmets.

13thfloormonk

Oh god, I still wear that Charge jersey sometimes 🙄

Great rides, don’t think I’ve ever crashed as hard or as often in one weekend 😂

jimmy

Ah of course, didn’t recognise you Ian.

Steve_B

Hi Ian you had breakfast beside me and AliB. We were being posh by being in the hotel – birthday treat – while the rest of you were having a whale of a time in the bar!

Greg – the machine – is in the orange top in your first pic and Jojo is in green in the second pic. Others i can recall were Nobeer, Househusband, Trail_rat on some unsuitable race rig, Bumbly? Who i thought was old then but probably younger than I am now with his mate Ian. And that guy who works with wood – McMoonter

And the bike I have with me this week still has a front mech and wee wheels and will manage fine on any routes I dare take AliB on 😉

Ps my route description should have said up W side Prosen not E just in case you plan to recreate it ! And I’ve just realised it autocorrected to Proven doh .

jimmy

Wow good eyes, SteveB. Recognise Greig (Brown) and Jo (Cardwell) as well now. All these names I’m now familiar with but didn’t know back then. Knew / know Househusband, have ridden with McMoonter since of Fife. Happy days, thanks for helping me piece together.

13thfloormonk

Hi Ian you had breakfast beside me and AliB. We were being posh by being in the hotel – birthday treat – while the rest of you were having a whale of a time in the bar!

Lol, that’s right! I’d booked into hotel because I thought everyone else was staying there, breakfast wasn’t even very good, they cocked up and cook had closed kitchen so they couldn’t even rustle me up a bowl of porridge 😂

Garry_Lager

I was on that ride – good memories jimmy! Bending down to attend to rucksack in back of first photo behind Iain, and that is my rush on the front left in the second (great bike that).

Believe Stuartie C organised the ride and I am not sure if he still posts on here? Remember feeling pretty wasted at the bottom of the last big climb (kilbo?) and everyone else looking in fine fettle.

Random memory of that weekend is that I had to get back to Edinburgh for the Sunday, I think most of you did another ride then? But I couldn’t sleep in the bunkhouse and drove back very early and caught the aftermath of the Hatton Pacquiao fight on the wireless, when Pac starched him in two rounds.

shermer75
    Free Member

scotroutes

Aww. Look at all the tiny wheels.

Posted 1 year ago

REPLY | REPORT

Rubber_Buccaneer

and front mechs 😀

And such narrow handlebars!

ton

Jimmy, i seem to remember a stw meet at GT, when my 30 year old lad was 15.
    we rode 2 days iirc.

few folk off here were,
    Greg brown, rock3gozy, big stuart and john from dumfries area, and a group of their pals.
    househusband may have been there also. and on the saturday i think smee/trollingzoofighter may have been with us.

i may also be wrong.

jimmy

@ton yeah that’s right, was about 2008/09. Does that mean your grandkid is about 13/14 now or am I misremembering that bit?!

ton

@jimmy yes mate. she is 14. we have 3 more now.

nc21

I remember the GT ride @ton. I was there with John and the Dumfries crew, think my lad was 17 then.
    Remember Greg taking photos on the top corners of the descents and still getting past most of the group with some serious speed and outstanding lines on the turns further down.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.