Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • STW Art Club – “Draw a Vehicle / Transport Theme” [10/2/2012 to 17/2/2012]
  • redthunder
    Free Member

For fun 🙂 as always.

STW Art Club HQ

King-ocelot
    Free Member

I’m going to do mine tomorrow 🙂

yunki
    Free Member

I’ve found my inspiration..

I just need to find a way to persuade yunki jr to stop hitting me with a gym ball and go to bed..

yunki
    Free Member

Inspired in part by shedbrewed’s chubby frunt thread earlier today.. I give you fatbike

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Yunki I like it, I like the shading on the front wheel.

pinches
    Free Member

here’s a Skoda Roomster i’ve been working on for Dads dealership

samuri
    Free Member

Liking that a lot Yunki.

Pinches car is nice too, almost make s the real thing look nice. 😉

I’ll start on my car tomorrow, I’ve spent the last week drawing Angus Young from the cover of ‘Highway to Hell’ and while I’m reasonably happy with the drawing, I’m struggling to get it into a computer because of all the reflections off the dark sections (and there’s quite a few in that picture). I should really get a scanner.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Samurai is it graphite? Fixative kills some if the reflections.

Kevevs
    Free Member

bad drawing!

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Nice work pinches, looks cool

samuri
    Free Member

Yeah, graphite. I could try some fixative.
    Hang on, mobile phone picture on the way,….

samuri
    Free Member

samuri
    Free Member

The second one there is quite good because of all the ambient light around when I took it.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Nice! The proportions look good too. When drawing hair I lift the pencil off the page at the end of the strands. I will stick some pictures up tomorrow to show you what I mean

samuri
    Free Member

I’d appreciate that. Hair is where I really struggle.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

[img]http://[/img]

The hair here has been built up in stands. The method i use most is to lay down some tone to start with, blend it in using a stump then use the corner of a square rubber to make the strands.

The edges and flyaway strands are made using a mechanical pencil, starting with firmer pressure at the root and always following the direction of the hair.

DezB
    Free Member

Lovely hair!
    Is that all pencil? Amazing number of differing tones in there.

(ps. you only need the codes once for each pic 😉 )

King-ocelot
    Free Member

[img]http://[/img]

Same technique here, the stands are then outlined using a mechanical pencil.

Please excuse photo quality, its all from iphone.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

DezB – Member
    Lovely hair!
    Is that all pencil? Amazing number of differing tones in there.

(ps. you only need the codes once for each pic )

Thanks! Yes is all graphite.
    I always get issues with IMG codes on this laptop and this forum. Works fine on other forums.

GEDA
    Free Member

Klunk
    Free Member

rigged rt model

rig in action

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBT9XtafnmY[/video]

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Nice perspective GEDA

What did you use to animate your tank?

Klunk
    Free Member

the animation was done in 3ds max, well it’s more simulation than animation. Theres 2 rigs A Reactor rig, basically an 10 wheeled car with the 8 road wheel sprung and a heavy chassis. You can “motorize” each wheel which will drive the tank forward over any terrain within reason. This reactor rig is used to drive an animation rig with gives the visuals and rotating tracks (which is just a scrolling texture). You can create “real” track system with Reactor but its a PITA to get right and control.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Impressive stuff, I could never get into 3D models, I tried but got frustrated with myself too often. That’s really cool cool work.

samuri
    Free Member

Such impressive stuff guys. Thanks for the tips catflees. Those really are jaw droppingly good.

GEDA’s is good too, I don’t recognise the original master though.

Is there any reason you use mechanical rather than normal wooden pencils, catflees?

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Wooden are better for blocking in large areas to shade in. As used at an angle they cover a larger area.

Mechs will remain sharp, you can add more pressure or be more delicate. You can get very narrow leads for more detailed work.

Most artists I know use a mixture of both. It’s also worth mentioning what’s under the paper, mechs work best on glass drawing boards as they need the harder surface to make marks.

All IMHO of course.

GEDA
    Free Member

No need to do it like an old master it is just good to copy off people better than yourself as you can always learn something. Like Catflees is giving advice above. I love mechanical pencils but then I like hatching and line more than tone.

Klunk
    Free Member

cheers catflees, it’s the technical challenge that appeals to me most, hand animating complex systems is a slow laborious process (and requires a unique skill set), so anything that automates the process in real time is a real boon. The sim took about 30 seconds in Reactor to generate and is then played back in real time. The tiger animation I posted on a previous art thread took over 7 days to render. Love your drawing skills btw haven’t got the patience/technical ability for that kind of thing myself more of a doodler.

samuri
    Free Member
    samuri
    Free Member
    King-ocelot
    Free Member

Nice Samurai, direction of pencil lines on the body panels, and the different direction of the lines in the shadow gives a good counter change. Well observed.

samuri
    Free Member

Thanks. The lines on the bodywork were intentional.
    The shadow was just an accident. 🙂

King-ocelot
    Free Member

It works well. It looks scanned?
    What paper is it on?

samuri
    Free Member

Just a normal drawing pad paper. I liberated a scanner from work, much better than taking pictures.

samuri
    Free Member

I’ve been practising drawing hair tonight, not going so well so far but I definately see what you mean about lifting off at the end of each strand.

Posted these before, but fit the thread theme. A bit battered and smudged being nearly 20yrs old and they didn’t photograph too well, but here you go…

And seeing as we seem to have diversified into portraits…

pinches
    Free Member

heres a few more of mine of recent (bit more conceptual mind)

and also not a sketch as such but heres the le-mans proposal i worked on a while ago

output is a quarter scale fibreglass model all built in house by me.

samuri
    Free Member

awesome!

I like the Axl Rose too.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

The Axl Rose is really nice STR, i recognise the car (possibly incorrectly) as a Carerra GT, I didn’t realise they were as old as 20 years! Makes me feel old.

Pinches, that’s very cool. I love the area behind the drivers helmet. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers

Re: Carrera GT – I’m struggling with the maths, as Wiki has it in production 2004-2006. I know I drew this pre-production and I’m pretty sure it was well before my daughter was born (2000), so a fair bit short of 20yrs actually – still struggling to work out when I did it though, as I haven’t drawn for well over a decade????

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘STW Art Club – “Draw a Vehicle / Transport Theme” [10/2/2012 to 17/2/2012]’ is closed to new replies.