Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Strava/garmin question
  • iolo
    Free Member

I’ve linked my garmin and strava accounts. It says they are connected.
    Everything I’ve read says when I upload my 510 to garmin connect using my iPhone 6 plus it should, within minutes, go to Strava.
    This doesn’t happen.
    The only way I can sync to strava is a cable connection to my computer.
    What am I doing wrong?

njee20
    Free Member

Have you left it? Mine certainly doesn’t take minutes (and I’ve never seen anything saying it should), it can take several hours.

Appears on Garmin Connect very quickly, but not on Strava for a lot longer. If I’m desperate to look I just manually upload. My ride into work this morning still hasn’t appeared on Strava, uploaded to Garmin connect by 9 this morning.

iolo
    Free Member

The last time, I left it a few days before syncing manually.

Schweiz
    Free Member

Mine finds it’s way to Strava within seconds. Never taken any longer.

njee20
    Free Member

That is odd then, mine’s quicker than that.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I plug my 810 into my laptop and my phone shows the routes have uploaded instantly. Sorry, this doesn’t help you OP.

cheshirecat
    Free Member

My activities show up on Garmin Connect as soon as the sync is complete. Strava takes a few seconds after that. Not sure how this helps, but at least it’s a data point.

M1llh0use
    Free Member

few mins max for me.

stumpy01

M1llh0use – Member

few mins max for me.

+1, but normally within a refresh or two.

cp

The first sync took a little while (maybe a day before all the activities showed).

All uploads to Garmin Connect are now effectively instantly in Strava.

larkim
    Free Member

I’m on the instant bandwagon too – I upload GPX files to Garmin Connect manually and within 10-15s they are usually on Strava. Rarely it takes a little longer than this.

Not having a Garmin 510 I can’t answer this myself – but do you have to categorise the activity on Garmin Connect before it pushes across to Strava? e.g. tell it it was a ride etc. I have to select from “uncategorised” and turn it into a Run or a Ride, I’m reasonably sure that from that point onwards the push across to Strava is completed.

aracer
    Free Member

Not quite instant IME, but minutes rather than hours or days. Problem is doubtless related to connection between Garmin and Connect and Strava rather than device specific, as once they’re in Connect it makes no difference how they got there. Hence I’m a bit confused by your suggestion that you can only sync to Strava with a cable – how exactly do you sync to Strava using a cable?

njee20
    Free Member

Weirdly Strava had become ‘disconnected’ from Garmin Connect, so it was still using “CopyMySports” or one of the other services, which I guess explains the delays. Just re-synced it and tested, and it’s now instant.

njee20
    Free Member

how exactly do you sync to Strava using a cable?

Plug GPS into computer, select files manually on device…?

What I always did on my 705 before wifi connectivity and all that.

aracer
    Free Member

But do you need the device plugged in to do that if you’ve already uploaded to Connect? I used to select activities on my “device” to upload to Strava, but my 910 didn’t even need to be turned on, let alone connected (it uploads using Ant+ rather than cable FWIW) to do that. I simply selected from activities which had already been downloaded to my computer in the process of uploading to Connect.

njee20
    Free Member

(it uploads using Ant+ rather than cable FWIW)

How does that work? My computer doesn’t have ANT+ connectivity 😕 The GPS needs to be in the computery mode to connect and download files, not on, or off.

But do you need the device plugged in to do that if you’ve already uploaded to Connect?

The OP does, because it’s not appearing on Strava automatically, that’s the point.

stumpy01

I’ve recently started uploading from my Edge500 using my tablet (LG GPad), rather than having to turn the laptop on.
    Some tablets apparently don’t like high current draw devices being connected, but the GPad recognises the Edge500 fine and can upload via the web browser.
    At some point, they’ll pull their fingers out and allow uploading via the tablet apps.

aracer
    Free Member

Comes with a dongle you plug in to a USB port (yeah, I know that’s not a lot more convenient than a cable, but doesn’t need a physical connection to the watch and my phone has Ant+ built in, so I could upload with that if I ever got the s/w sorted).

The OP does, because it’s not appearing on Strava automatically, that’s the point.

He claims he does, which is what was confusing me, as I’ve never had to have mine “plugged in” to upload to Strava, and I suspect the answer is that he doesn’t, but that doesn’t really help much – apart from to confirm that it’s almost certainly the sync between Connect and Strava which isn’t working. Maybe the problem is similar to yours?

aracer
    Free Member

Have just checked my connection – go to Settings in Strava, and it says “Connected” for Garmin Connect at the bottom of Social Connections. If it does already say “Connected” maybe worth clicking on “Disconnect” and then reconnecting.

njee20
    Free Member

Comes with a dongle you plug in to a USB port (yeah, I know that’s not a lot more convenient than a cable, but doesn’t need a physical connection to the watch and my phone has Ant+ built in, so I could upload with that if I ever got the s/w sorted).

We’re clearly talking at cross porpoises. Or I have no idea what your point is 😕

The OP has an Edge. He uses the bluetooth connection to upload to Connect, via his iPhone, which happens automatically. This should then appear on Strava. His isn’t. Ergo he’s connecting his Edge to Strava with the cable and manually uploading. You can’t choose to upload to Strava from the device itself, just onto Connect. There are no dongles involved. ANT+ isn’t involved. You get a micro USB cable with an Edge to plug into your computer.

aracer
    Free Member

Ah, it was me missing that he was uploading to Connect using his phone. Hence the activities are never on his computer to upload to Strava until he connects via cable. I almost always upload to Connect using my computer, so the files are on there anyway if I want to transfer to Strava – if he’d already uploaded to Connect using his computer like me then he’d not need to use the cable again to upload to Strava. Sorry for confusing things, but it doesn’t change where the problem is.

iolo
    Free Member

Yes, I’ve uploaded to connect. Connected connect to strava but none of the uploaded files go to Strava.

cchris2lou

i have an old 305 forerunner and it takes seconds . once or twice it took a bit longer .

sometimes i get an error message when connecting the garmin to garmin connect . but a few hits on sync again and it works .

aracer
    Free Member

Have you tried “turning it off and turning it back on again”? ie disconnecting and then reconnecting as I suggested above?

scotroutes

Might be worth disconnecting/reconnecting Connect in your Strava settings?

Sign up for Endomondo and connect that to Connect too. See if the Garmin data goes there. That might help narrow down the problem.

aracer
    Free Member

Go to https://www.strava.com/settings/profile look for “Social Connections” on the right and at the bottom of the list just below “Connect with MyFitnessPal” you should have a globe icon which says “Connected” next to it – click on “Disconnect” just below that. You’ll get a popup “This will disconnect Garmin activity syncing”, click “OK”.

Then go to http://www.strava.com/upload/device and click on “Get Started” under Garmin – enter your Garmin Connect account name and password and you’ll be reconnected.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I had a problem over the weekend with the same ride uploading to Strava twice (different total ascent on each ride), Strava support recon it’s due to CopyMySports uploading a TCX file and Garmin Connect uploading a FIT file (I’d forgotten I still had CopyMySports still active). They’ve disabled CopyMySports for me now and I’ll wait and see if it cures the problem.
    It’s strange the problem suddenly started ocurring my setting haven’t changed for months.

Travis

Not too sure where you are based, but for me in China, I have to turn on my vpn for Garmin Connect to work, but after that, it goes through to Strava quite quickly.

deadkenny
    Free Member

If it’s uploaded to Connect, then forget about issues with the device syncing. The problem will be with Garmin Connect and/or Strava.

Maybe try unlinking the connection between Connect and Strava and set it up again. Also check in Connect settings that it lists Strava as a connected service.

You can also try manually uploading to Connect by uploading the FIT file using the Import option on the Activities list, instead of syncing with Bluetooth or Garmin Express. Though as said if it’s uploaded okay I can’t see that will be the issue.

Myself, I find it takes seconds these days once it’s uploaded to Connect. I sync with Strava and Endomndo.

However I have huge problems with Bluetooth sync on my 510. Almost always never pairs with my phone, so I have to connect with a cable. It’s a known problem. If by some miracle it pairs then Connect Mobile will sync but in the latest version it comes up with an error, but it has synced the file, and it then syncs to Strava.

@Travis – being based in China, that sounds like an issue with the Great Firewall of China 😉

Travis

@deadkenny, it is.
    I suppose, poorly, was trying to say that, not knowing where the OP is based, I wondered if there was a blockage going on.
    Without my vpn, it will take days to upload (as and when they let the little trickle of foreign sites through)

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Strava/garmin question’ is closed to new replies.