Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 84 total)
  • Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker
  • Gilles

This could get released around the same time as the new James Bond – I think there is a new Bond coming – Could be suicidal for one of them.

dirkpitt74

or that little lad at the end of the last one who commanded his broom from the steps..?

Nah that was Harry Potter…..

Seriously though, the new trailer looks good. Lando, the Emperor and a hope that it’ll be better than the last one..

mikewsmith
    Free Member

This could get released around the same time as the new James Bond – I think there is a new Bond coming – Could be suicidal for one of them.

It will be cold, dark and miserable so perfect time to make 2 trips to the cinema

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Northwind

I wasn’t convinced by his Han Solo, then I watched A New Hope again and yep, he pretty much nailed it.

kelvin

Moan, moan, moan… yawn.

Enjoyed the last one… and Solo… and the kids loved them.

kelvin

Oh…

Drac

Bond is a long way off yet.

Daffy

The two recent films are right up there with Attack of the Clones for crappiest Star Wars movie and AOTC at least had the excuse of needing to get from TPM to ROTS. Neither of the recent stories seem to link very well to the rest of the universe. I really don’t buy their portrayal of Luke, nor the whole rise of the First Order and complete disappearance of the Empire/Rebellion/New republic military in the space of 30 years, especially when they’re making planet sized super weapons and mega city sized Star destroyers.

It all just seems poorly thought out, badly connected and driven by timescales and marketing. For all their faults, at least the Prequels were well connected, and Clone Wars (cartoon) helped the narrative.

I fully agree that Rebels is the best, original things to come out so far. Solo is based upon (loosely) the Solo trilogy of books (characters, organisations. Etc) and Rogue one is based on back Story, but Rebels is original (well, not Thrawn, we have Tim Zahn to thank for that), engaging and very well tied into the universe.

scruff
    Free Member

I didn’t think Solo was great, it was OK. Looking forward to the new one but really want a Chewbacca based film, all spoken in Kashyyyk with sub titles.

mogrim

Solo was entertaining enough, Sense of humour, spaceships, chases and fights… I don’t ask for much more from a Star Wars movie. The Last Jedi unfortunately just wasn’t that entertaining, and the plot holes were just too big to ignore (and I realise it’s a SF/Fantasy film and not reality!)

But I’ll be off to the cinema in December to see the new film, just hold my eldest daughter is back from uni to go with me 🙂

jakehinton
    Free Member

New one looks good! Last one was a bit weak really, especially the drawn out ending.

colournoise

Rogue One. Great. Proper popcorn adventure sci-fi / fantasy.
    The Force Awakens. Decent enough remake of Episode IV.
    The Last Jedi. Not really good enough, but kind of moves the story on…

Not seen Solo.

Hopeful that with Abrams back at the helm, The Rise of Skywalker (awful title BTW) could be pretty good as an action film if nothing else. Teaser doesn’t really give much away (Is Rey a Skywalker? Too obvious surely? Does it refer to Luke somehow coming back into things? Are they going to pull a Line Of Duty and reveal some hitherto unknown character?).

Guessing that the STW demographic were mostly of an age to be totally blown away by Star Wars (it was a proper groundbreaking film at the time) and that nothing since can really have the impact that the original had on our impressionable young minds…

raybanwomble
    Free Member

I just want to see a movie about Jar Jar Binks as a suicide bomber on Tatooine.

Then I’ll be happy enough with the Star Wars franchise for the rest of my life.

Northwind

I don’t think it’ll be called Rise of Skywalker. Partly because half the point of the last one seemed to be to close off the whole “skywalker saga” and partly because it’s a terrible name.

Also, wouldn’t it be ace if the evil laugh was actually Mark Hamill’s Joker?

DickBarton

Leia is a Skywalker is she not? So perhaps the rebel alliance once again rises up a.d defeats their enemy…same as they have done in the previous 2 trilogies…

eulach

I don’t see how they can recover from the Last Jedi disaster. Why didn’t they let Abrams direct it? He set everything up nicely with the Force Awakens.
    Rogue One was excellent, my favourite after the original Trilogy. Solo was also good but mainly for the back story and reference to the rest of the Star Wars Universe.

oikeith

On the bright side there isn’t a jar jar binks in the latest films.

I find Rose worse than Jar Jar, she is utter pointless and then when you think she is dead her body gets dragged onto the MF.

I agree with all posts saying the last movie was meh, its really put me off the franchise. The only thing from the trailer which has me intrigued is was that Emperor Palpatine/ Lord Sidious laughing at the end?

El-bent
    Free Member

Judging by the trailer, I’m sure I’ve seen this movie before, I think it was episode 6, return of the Jedi.

Its not like ole JJ “no original idea’s” Abrams did that with a new ho…sorry I mean the force awakens, The last jedi was a break from it and although the film certainly had issues, at least tried to set a new course.

The problem here and has been seen with oh so many you tube opinions over the last few years, is that “fans” just want a re-run of the original three.

Nostalgia is a very powerful thing, particularly with iconic films from childhood, but its time to move forward, not slope backwards.

zilog6128

Hopefully this really will be the end of this particular tale, then they can make some new stories rather than just rehash the same old shite again & again!

Cougar

“fans” just want a re-run of the original three.

And yet as you say…

Its not like ole JJ “no original idea’s” Abrams did that with a new ho…sorry I mean the force awakens,

… when that’s exactly what happens, they still complain.

@colournoise
    hit the nail on the head really. The original Star Wars came out in 1977. I don’t really recall seeing it at the time now (though I clearly must have done) but I vividly remember going to the cinema to watch The Empire Strikes Back, there was a queue around the block to get in and I was excited beyond belief. I was eight years old.

So how on Earth can anyone hope to square the circle of creating a film which simultaneously appeals to your average preteen and also to those with 40 years of history and memories? It’s an impossible position, whatever they do there’s going to be Internet Fanboi Butthurt™.

martinhutch

The last jedi was a break from it and although the film certainly had issues, at least tried to set a new course.

The similarities between The Last Jedi and Empire Strikes Back are everywhere.

Jedi training on some backwater planet? Check (it even has a cave where you go to have terrifying visions)

Attempt to tempt lead good character over to the dark side with revelations about their parents? Check

Fancy location where seemingly good guy they approach for help ends up stitching them up? Check

Last stand rebel base on snowy/salty planet? check

perchypanther
    Free Member

I don’t really recall seeing it at the time

I do. I was six and was utterly blown away.

That’s why I’ll always like all the films even if they’re objectively shite.

My kids are completely indifferent to them though.

Harry Potter is their Star Wars.

Looking forward to the “Snoke was someone’s  father”* reveal.

* must be, otherwise what was the point of him

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So how on Earth can anyone hope to square the circle of creating a film which simultaneously appeals to your average preteen and also to those with 40 years of history and memories? It’s an impossible position, whatever they do there’s going to be Internet Fanboi Butthurt™.

You can’t and it’s really easy to complain about it, the chance of it being exactly what you want are slim, if it was it would piss off 98% of other people.

Expectations really do play a big part and some people really should go and watch Ep2

mrchrispy

Rogue One is the best star wars film.
    end of story

Pook

So how on Earth can anyone hope

Spoiler:
    it’s not set on Earth, it’s in a galaxy far, far away.
    Cougar

Oh good grief. (-:

martinhutch

Snoke was someone’s father”* reveal.

Here’s some clues to how his face got all mangled up.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Not too worried about father reveals …. Just so long as there isn’t any race to blow up an enemy super weapon or having to take down a force field….. Zzzzzzz

bikebouy
    Free Member

Are there any jet propelled dogem vehicles in this one?

anagallis_arvensis

Now this is exciting!!

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Is A New Hope 4k77 worth watching?

matt_outandabout

Yes.
    Just yes.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

*Drives up besides Matt in a dodgey black van and rolls down the window*

Where can I get it? 😀

mikewsmith
    Free Member
    Kuco

I didn’t think Solo was that bad, but Rogue One has been one of the best Star Wars films made.

funkmasterp

Rogue One was great apart from the Titanic / Kong effect. You knew they were going to succeed in getting the plans, but die in the process. I still think Solo was much better than it’s given credit for. Especially so given the behind the scenes shenanigans.

I find Adam Driver’s villain a bit shit. It’s like Kevin the teenager has force powers. There’s just no real sense of dread, mystery or threat about him. His whole persona could be summed up as “Nerr, it’s not fair” Star Wars has a storied history of making brilliant actors give really bad performances though.

BoardinBob

Solo was fantastic. Way better than Rogue One for me. I hated TLJ. TFA was great so hopefully Abrams salvages the finale

DickBarton

Snoke will be the emperor, that is how he looks after being thrown down the tube thing by Vader.

The reveal will be that the Ewoks revived him after thinking he was C3-POs mate after a hectic celebration of the destruction of the Death Star.

Cougar

I find Adam Driver’s villain a bit shit. It’s like Kevin the teenager has force powers.

+1. He’s about as menacing as a dose of piles.

epicyclo

Daffy

…I really don’t buy …. complete disappearance of the Empire/Rebellion/New republic military in the space of 30 years, especially when they’re making planet sized super weapons and mega city sized Star destroyers….

Haven’t been watching the British Empire then…

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker’ is closed to new replies.