Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Standing desks and footwear
  • toby1

Thanks to the standing desk thread I now have Flexispot legs and an Ikea desktop and can elevate it to a comfy standing height (thanks to everyone for the info on the earlier thread).

At home I am mostly a flip-flops and slippers wearer (Gubmies both times). Standing in something without cushioning is likely very good for my feet and helping strengthen them. But as I’m a lardy git it’s also quite tiring, so I was wondering what you all use while standing and working?

Oggles
    Free Member

Interested.

I’m currently using an old folded over yoga mat which is very comfy (barefoot/socks), but it’s a bit of a trip hazard. Heels still hurt after a long day standing but it’s better than having a bad back!

I thought about trying some birkenstock slippers/house shoes as they appear to have an ergonomic style foot bed.

thenorthwind

Flip flops are actually the best thing I’ve found, but a bit chilly in the winter.

I’ve put some “anti fatigue mat” under the rug in front of my desk (it’s actually some foam that some flooring I ordered came wrapped in, but you can buy matting specifically for this – saw some in TK Maxx recently). This works pretty well, probably even better than flip flops, and you can wear socks to keep your feet warm.

Should add that I have a tall stool (my desk is fixed height) that I use occasionally to give my feet a break – it’s good to mix sitting/perching and standing up.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

just bare feet or socks for me. Feet do get tired and sore towards the end of the day but not in an injury sort of way, just fatigue, but they seem to be toughening up.

40mpg

Skechers, reasonable support & memory foam sole, no problems after a day on my feet (and I have very flat feet / usually get aches)

ElShalimo

I use Birkenstock clogs for slippers and try to stand up as much as I can during the day on Skype/Zoom/Teams calls

I find the arch support helpful

toby1

5 replies in and no mention of the evils of Crocs, I should have put a disclaimer in that they will not be considered.

Cheers so far people.

cheese@4p

+1 for sketchers but you have to be over 40 to wear them, even in the privacy of your own home.

oldtennisshoes
    willard

I was given some sort of massage inflatable thing to try that is really good (helps with core stability at the same time), but it makes me about 3″ taller and that makes it uncomfortable to use the desk, so i need to re-think its use.

I know that some palces sell large memory foam pads to stand on when using your desk standing. Once I get the height of the desk sorted, I may look for something like that.

barrysh1tpeas
    Free Member

Last week I ordered some Vivbarefoot Gobi boots. For work (office), I really hate smart shoes. I tended to walk around only in socks in the office, to the disdain of others. But when you need to use the toilets, the p1ss soaked floor is an obstacle.

These Vivos are the nuts. Not cheap. They look proper weird. But some god damn comfy. I wear them with jeans too out of work I’m so in love with them.

I had a few weird looks. Don’t care.

spannermonkey

Bare feet/socks + wobble cushion 😉

sparksmcguff

I too am shocked and saddened that it has been down to the op to mention crocs. After all crocs are an anti-fatigue mat, flip flop, wobble cushion all in one. So crocs, yeah?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Nice Crocs!

said no-one

ever

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Standing desks and footwear’ is closed to new replies.