Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Stag Do Ideas
  • timberr
    Free Member

Hi All,

I need your help. I’m after idea’s for a stag do.

Obviously it needs to be mainly based around mountain biking but other activities would also be considered. Places to go for a decent night out is also a requirement.

As for location, we are based in the south west so Wales is an option, I’m fairly new to mountain biking so I really don’t know the best places to go?

The technical level of the people going is mixed from average to high so this needs to be a consideration. Ideally the trails would be suitable of all abilities with some technical downhill sections for those that want to attempt it.

Thanks for your help.

jekkyl

Ideally the trails would be suitable of all abilities with some technical downhill sections for those that want to attempt it.

LLandegla springs to mind immediately. I’ve not been to coed y brenin so can’t comment. Plenty to do in north wales, could stay in betws y coed. Does it have to be mtbing?
    if you can afford, do it properly, Amsterdam or Prgaue is standard or have you thought about a long weekend in the sun, Ibiza? Costa blanca etc, usually cheap enough.

timberr
    Free Member

We have done the sun type Stag do’s to death really, Magaluf, Benidorm etc so looking for something a bit different.

The stag is right into his mountain biking so would be good to base it around this. Although he can’t get off completely so somewhere we can go for a beer is also a requirement. 😉

Although Amsterdam is a consideration.

emsz
    Free Member

Beer tits naked groom….

Have I missed anything?

jekkyl

The lakes? generally for some reason I enjoy the lakes more than Wales. Stay in keswick, then you’ve got whinlatter, borrowdale bash, skiddaw, helvellyn and high street all fairly close. Plus tons of other stuff through borrowdale and over towards wasdale, you’ve seen all the threads on here I’m sure. Keswick is great for drinking and eating, love the place. There’s the lake for swimming and boating if in the summer. For mtbing keswick is hard to beat. It’s also got a pencil museum.

stumpy01

We’ve just come back from a stag do mountain biking in Wales.

Wide range of abilities and it was all good.

Did Llandegla on the way there on Friday. Stayed in the hostel at Trawsfynydd, so wasn’t the most raucous Fri night ever.
    Then did CyB on Saturday; mainly the MBR but a couple of locals we were with did a good job of linking the best descents together.

We dressed the stag up as Wonderwoman which went down well! We also decorated his Coiler with suitably feminine adornments.

Saturday we went to Dolgellau for curry (in the Lemon Grass, which was OK) – taxi back to the hostel for 9 of us was £45). Then back to CyB on Sun for a short loop for those who still had the energy.

nbt

hows about just going to the local pub for a few pints. Maybe push the boat out and go for a curry

treaclesponge
    Free Member

stumpy01 – i was there, along with a ton of guys from the Sketchymtb forum. The stag looked great!

As for riding I can recommend the suggestion for Betws, nice and central for Llandegla, Coed-Y-Brenin and Penmachno. Plenty of places to stay (we use the Glan Aber which has bunkhouse and hotel rooms) and places to eat in town within 2 minutes walking distance. Ideal!

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Whatever happened to going to the pub on a Thursday night getting hammered, being tied up naked and left on the on front lawn of your future in-laws.

Some people have no sense of tradition.

jekkyl

treaclesponge I was staying with my mate in the glan aber bunkhouse fri and sat nights, weekend just gone. I think you were the large group doing antaur on sunday and cyb on saturday?
    anyway, the glan aber bunkhouse is a total shithouse and I would recommend not staying there, communal showers which were filthy and dirt all over the place and no soap in the loo? dis **** gusting, OP don’t stay there.

treaclesponge
    Free Member

Yeah we were the loud group with the two roadies (on sunday)

Ive stayed in the bunkhouse and it wasnt bad, just not great but it did what it said on the tin. Never found it dirty though. The hotel rooms are much better, amazing shower in mine, but at more than double the cost that could be prohibitive.

Maccachod
    Free Member

Newport velodrome 12 riders with a “coach” to train you is about £30 each – great fun fixed wheel racing .
    Afan and glyncorrig for mtb trails -stay at depotrd at Cwmafan afan .depotrd is absolutely fantastic , we went in march
    Night out in Swansea
    LC2 smimming pool for board rider – endless wave surf boarding
    What more could you want
    Have a great time .
    Macca

treehugger35
    Free Member

Jekkyl- I was there with Treaklesponge and the other SketchyMTB guys. For the money and considering breakfast is included i think it’s spot on. I don’t have a problem with the communual showers and actually think the showers are better than in the hotel (only stayed in the hotel the first trip 3 years ago though, i understand they have been upgraded?) especially if you move 2 shower heads together when it’s like standing under a hot waterfall. I never saw any mud on the floor, and thought the beds are quite comfortable, and i’m pretty fussy about bed’s with my dodgy back. I litterally only slept and got changed in the room, so i can’t justifie spending the extra money to stay in the hotel. Can you post the link to the thread so i can say the same on there. I wonder if it was you i bumped into in the bathroom…? Wearing a yellow stripy t-shirt, grunted when i said hello and answered my question of whether there was any soap with a stern No! then left leaving both taps on full. There was soap on both basins the next time i went in there by the way 😉

jekkyl

Nope I don’t have a stripey yellow t shirt. We were the two sitting in the white van furtively rolling joints on Sunday morning ready for Llandegla. & yes there probably was soap in the bathroom that day coz I complained about the state of the place to the manager who without hesitation offered us 20 quid off the bill. We shan’t be back.

bamboo
    Free Member

nbt + 1.

The problem with stag parties is each one has to be better than the last; they end up costing a ridiculous amount of money. You don’t need to spend a fortune to have a good time; one of the best I’ve been on involved going to a single pub early on and just having a good session on the beers.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

We dressed the stag up as Wonderwoman which went down well! We also decorated his Coiler with suitably feminine adornments.

BIKESTAG WIN!

Have done several, just like that. Machynlleth is a superb town for a night out (No late night gentertainment, as far as I know, though…)

ski
    Free Member

Another vote for nbt

The best stags I have been on have been down to the individual people on the stag, not the entertainment itself.

Make sure the company is correct, then you will be half way there.

stumpy01

treaclesponge – Member
    stumpy01 – i was there, along with a ton of guys from the Sketchymtb forum. The stag looked great!

Glad you liked his look.
    He seemed worryingly comfortable in it by the end of the day!!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Stag Do Ideas’ is closed to new replies.