Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • SRAM Next Rally carbon crank wobbly insert
  • charliemort

I know this has been done loads of times ……… but what was the recommended epoxy to fix the wobbly insert issue? These were a replacement for Next SL which also failed, have lasted about 18 months.

I’m trying for another warranty replacement but ultimately carbon cranks don’t seem to work for me at 15 ish stone, although SRAM ones may be better?

johnw1984
    Free Member

Sram ones were fine for me and I was a bit heavier. Race Face seem to be made of wet cardboard 🙂

mickmcd
    Free Member

Dp420

Northwind

You could glue it back in with labrador spunk and it’ll still be stronger than my Next SLs were.

mickmcd
    Free Member

PS sram ones are 70 quid on wiggle right now

Poopscoop

Ok, I’m probably being dumb here but do you mean Race Face, rather than SRAM op?

charliemort

nope you’re not being thick – I am

They are Race Face

charliemort

mickmcd – which SRAM ones are they? thanks

Tracey

They are the X1 carbon ones, you can get an extra £10 off as a new customer bringing them down to £59.99

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/sram-x1-eagle-gxp-boost-crankset/

mickmcd
    Free Member

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/sram-xx1-eagle-gxp-crankset/

Got mine for 119 they seem to have gone up a bit

Still use a new email and 146.99

charliemort

does GXP work with a pressfit BB30 bottom bracket?? or do you need a GXP b/b which I think is screw in?

mickmcd
    Free Member

don’t know chap i had a some plastic shims for the sram red gxp cranks we fitted dunno if the shoulder distances and chainline would be the same

Tracey

When we were looking the hope PF could be adapted, not cheap but probably worth it.

Running their PF bottom brackets in a couple of bikes with SRAM XO BB30 cranks and I think we were told they could be adapted for GXP if needed. Might be worth giving the tech dept a ring

charliemort

is dp 420 stuff very runny then? ie will it run into the tiny gap around the insert? thanks

Tracey

We have had two sets of the X1 Carbons delivered today, though they were a better bargain than just buying the chain ring that Abigale damaged on the rocks in Taz, just waiting on the chain and chain guard to get the bike back in working order. Might fit a new cassette at the same time. Won’t know the full extent of the damage till the bike is built back up and can run through the gears.

mickmcd
    Free Member

Dp420 is adhesive by its nature it’s quite thick for various reasons

When I fix these I have a pedal axle to pull the insert square but not tightened , then drill a 3mm hole and I inject the glue from the end , thin runny epoxy might work but you struggle to get it in through the gap of the carbon skin and the insert.

Poopscoop

Why are those X1’s so cheap at £69??

Sorry to butt in op.

Have RF Turbines, great cranks but 30mmm spindle which really limit my BB choice on a PF92 frame…

I might get those X1’s for when my Hope (non serviceable…) BB fails and go 24mm which gives me much more BB choice. Ie BB’s that are actually serviceable rather than pressing/swapping the whole bb out.

mickmcd
    Free Member

x1 is a non series OEM crank…

Poopscoop

Cheers mate.👍

Northwind

Is that X1 not a picture of the X1 1400 crank (ie aluminium)? There is an eagle x1 carbon crank but I don’t think that’s a photo of it. (could be wrong photo)

Tracey

Ours that arrived yesterday are carbon cranks and the chain ring looks the same as our X0 chain ring its not the same as a GX chain ring. Ours came from Wiggle but Chain Reaction have them in. I rang them to get confirmation that they were carbon and a 3mm offset before I ordered. At that price they are a steal taking into account what we would have had to pay for a XO chainring.

Tracey

Looks something like this pic I think, photo on website is wrong, probably why they haven’t sold out yet

Northwind

Thanks!

How do you get £10 off as a new customer? I can only see the £5 for signing up to the newsletter.

Cheers

Northwind

Oh wait I got it- NEWGB for a tenner off. Sorted, ordered, haven’t had carbon cranks since last time I had carbon cranks and killed them 🙂 Tartiness increases, cheers!

rt60
    Free Member

Can you use the boost chainring on a non boost frame?

Poopscoop

Yes but chain line may be less than great.

charliemort

@mickmcd

How do you inject the goo? With a syringe? Thanks

alexnharvey
    Free Member

Yes, although it can be a messy business loading and injecting epoxy with syringes and you will be limited in how fine a nozzle it will pass through Professionals have pump guns with mixer nozzles that make it much easier.

You can also warm the epoxy slightly to help it flow on a cold day but be aware that it will also shorten the curing time. Ultrasonic agitation will help any bubbles come to the surface. A sonic toothbrush held to the part can substitute, using an old head.

mickmcd
    Free Member

I have drawers full of them

Pragmatic answer is that will set you back more than a new set of cranks gun alone 50 quid adhesive 30 quid .

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘SRAM Next Rally carbon crank wobbly insert’ is closed to new replies.