Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • SRAM crank removal fiasco
  • BoardinBob

Amazingly it’s on a Spesh 🙄

I had the original BB replaced by Evans after a few months. Not been touched since. Not sure if they’ve loctited it or over-torqued it. It’s been ridden for four months of summer and not pressure washed. Just bonkers.

wzzzz
    Free Member

How would you get it off with an angle grinder?

Cut inbetween the crank and frame? Or cut the crank?

If a replacement bolt is available, I’d try to drill that out – but the bolt will be tough so that might be hard work.

Otherwise I’d cut through the soft alloy crank with a grinder on one side of the bolt, and then the other if it doesn’t give up.

Again you need the lot secured in a vice, not waving around on the floor.

Before all that I would try heat. Repeatedly get a blow torch on it followed by a bucket of water. Then use a good tool and it might crack off.

The only crank I ever cut off was a well stuck square taper with stripped threads.

BoardinBob

Job done. Wasn’t pretty or subtle. If in doubt, power tools are your friend. Some mug on pinkbike will buy this

weeksy

Oh! Wow

fasthaggis

Excellent,you and Kryton can be crank buddies now,although he still wins for his work of art with the angle grinder 😆

teasel
    Free Member

Some mug on pinkbike will buy this

I’ll give you a tenner if you throw in whatever tool you used to end that bastard – looks like it’d take out a T1000.

BoardinBob

The saga continues…

Ordered a Praxis BB and a set of XT cranks. 11 speed single ring.

However the cranks have arrived and they appear to have bolts for two chainrings.

Everything on the box says single 11 speed. Is this the wrong crank in the box???

simondbarnes

Pretty sure that’s how they come

steel4real
    Free Member

Yep the crank arm is the same for 1x and 2x……

….just the chain ring bolts for 1x are longer.

renton
    Free Member

Let me know what you think of the praxxis

BoardinBob

Will do. My mate ran one with no problems. Just looks infinitely better than the SRAM one. Much bigger bearings that sit outside the shell, so if the BB shell does fill with water, which mine does as there’s no drain hole, then at least the bearings aren’t sitting in water. Bearings on the Praxis are also replaceable/upgrade-able if required.

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘SRAM crank removal fiasco’ is closed to new replies.