Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • SRAM 11 speed cassettes
  • OrangeLad
    Free Member

So I’ve convinced myself that 11 speed is a good idea and have since got a good price on a shifter and rear mech. Sourced a freebie body for my wheels from the states and decided on a kmc chain the last piece in the puzzle is a cassette.

Whilst I’d love the XX1 version I’m not sure I can justify its price over the X1 version question is is there really going to be much performance difference between a gx, X1, x01 or xx1 cassette? Then the other spanner in the works is the e.13 cassette which gives an even larger range but is a bit unknown. Any real world experiences would be welcome.

honourablegeorge

Weight difference buy very little else. Have GX and XX1 and both are really impressive bits of kit, but at different price points. Id avoid the E13 as it has too.many alu cogs

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Personally unless you are really watching the grammes then the GX is the best value.

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

Id avoid the E13 as it has too.many alu cogs

The e13 cassette only has alu cogs in the upper section, the ones least susceptible to wear. But also don’t forget the cassette splits in two with either of these two sections available separately meaning that you’re not throwing a whole cassette out because you’ve worn the 11 tooth out (for example).

Also, the e13 cassette offers a 9 – 44 range so the ratio is wider than anyone else on the market.

DT78
    Free Member

It’s all about 12 speed now…

butterbean
    Free Member

The e13 cassette only has alu cogs in the upper section, the ones least susceptible to wear.

For most people, the upper half of the cassette is the part that’s most susceptible to wear. Making it out of aluminium is just going to accelerate that. Also judging people’s opinions of the wear rate of e13 expander rings, well, you better get used to changing bits, a lot.

The amount of SRAM 11 speed cassettes I’ve seen that look fine other than a doggy 42t seems to tally with that.

Shifting performance doesn’t seem to vary much on all the cassettes, but the one huge benefit to the XX1 example is it doesn’t look like crap after a handful of muddy rides. Why people think black cassettes is a good idea is beyond me.

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

For most people, the upper half of the cassette is the part that’s most susceptible to wear. Making it out of aluminium is just going to accelerate that. Also judging people’s opinions of the wear rate of e13 expander rings, well, you better get used to changing bits, a lot.

Maybe, maybe not. It’s horses for courses and is going to be heavily dependent on the rider and what size ring they’re running st the front.
    What is a fact though is that small sprockets will wear faster than bigger.

Still, eitherway the point still stands, whichever you wear out first you can buy a replacement of that half of the cassette, as such so example of SRAM cassettes being fine other than a worn out 42 is a great ‘real-world’ example.

ianfitz
    Free Member

If you want to keep costs down an xt 11-42 is considerably cheaper. 10% range difference though. I’ve put one on for winter and will go to a gx in the spring

honourablegeorge

richiethesilverfish – Member

The e13 cassette only has alu cogs in the upper section, the ones least susceptible to wear.

I tried using Alu cogs (the Absolute Black 4 cog expander) and it was awful. The lowest gear was ok but the ones below.just disappeared.on me. Was slipping under load within a month. Aku just.isn’t the right material for cassettes.

example of SRAM cassettes being fine other than a worn out 42 is a great ‘real-world’ example.

SRAM 42t can be replaced. And if you have to have Alu,the cog with most teeth and w lowest load us the place to have it.

chiefgrooveguru

I keep meaning to take some photos but I have a complete brand new GX transmission to sell, if anyone wants a bargain!

Came on my Bird Zero AM but I took it straight off and put on the used 1×10 stuff I already have (our hills are small, I have strong legs and this is also my commuter bike so I’d rather not grind a posh cassette into the ground…)

mrblobby
    Free Member

12 speed, blimey what will they think of next!

honourablegeorge

ianfitz – Member
    If you want to keep costs down an xt 11-42 is considerably cheaper. 10% range difference though. I’ve put one on for winter and will go to a gx in the spring

My GX was 109 Euro including chain. Very little price difference to XT (plus wider range and loghter).

honourablegeorge

Also… that E13 is 320g

GX at a third of the price is only about 50 or 60g more

qwerty
    Free Member

I have a complete brand new GX transmission to sell, if anyone wants a bargain!

I could be interested in this. I’m looking to go 1×11. I’m about to buy XT but am curious. I need: shifter, mech, cassette, XD driver (?Hope Pro2 Evo compatible?), chain, 104bcd 32t.

email in profile

windysurfer
    Free Member

My GX was 109 Euro including chain.

do you have a link?

cheers

windysurfer
    Free Member

cheers HG 🙂

Poopscoop

For better looks and price….n and no need for an XD driver, go XT.

If you really want that bit of extra range, go GX.

One bike has gx cassette here, the other XT. Mainly due to one rear wheel not having an XD driver available for it.

That said, the shim XT cassette looks quality. The GX…. Well, it didn’t look nice after the first few rides that’s for sure.

As someone said, black cassette? Why? ?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

How many is a few? Been on since october and doing just fine, needs a little clean but staying black.
    Seeing as the GX is lighter than the XT, not far off in price and in reality you will only need to buy one XD driver ever as any new wheel will come with the option (except shimano) I’d take the GX every time.
    To me the XT looks like they forgot to remove all the excess metal from the prototype which does account for it’s impressive weight vs function.

rickmeister

Chief groove guru, I’m interested in the Gx stuff for my fatbike, email in profile too …

Poopscoop

mikewsmith…. I think your definition of staying black is different to mine to be honest.

The simple point is the XT cassette by definition will never change colour from wear and tear for obvious reasons. The GX Will.

The black coating is a side issue anyway, I prefer the GX cassette as I do like the slight increase in range

Just a shame it isn’t silver.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

lol the non black bits are dust, really can’t be bothered to was it until it rains properly here!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

the cheaper cassette – otherwise you will be reluctant to go for a ride in the mud for fear of wearing it.

Poopscoop

mikewsmith – Member
    lol the non black bits are dust, really can’t be bothered to was it until it rains properly here!

Dust, dust! !

What is this dust you speak of!? 😀

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Obviously doesn’t ride in the UK in any remotely muddy conditions then.

There is a 3 month old warranty replacement X01 cassette on my wife’s bike that’s probably been ridden 8 or 9 times. It looks visually f*cked.

6 month old XX1 cassette – barely looks used by comparison.

Black cassettes are a silly idea. But then I think they also look crap when new. Just slightly less crap.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Started its life in mud, seen a fair bit just been dusty recently. I tend to give my kit a hard life and it seems to last 🙂

qwerty
    Free Member

dust

[1000yd stare] dust… [/1000yd stare]

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Honestly the dust is getting too much, grip is suffering, it’s hard work unless your in the front of the line up and all that, plus a good chuck of the island is still on fire. Hoping for some good rain this week.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘SRAM 11 speed cassettes’ is closed to new replies.