Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Spur Bell
  • frankconway

Just got one – the black DLC version; small, perfectly formed and acoustically wonderful.

tenfoot

Expensive, so I hope it lasts longer than the Knog Oi I bought last month, which broke after one ride. That was a complete waste of £11

dovebiker

I have a couple of the Rock Bros ‘clones’ – I couldn’t justify the costs of the Spur one. Takes a bit of ‘manipulation’ with pliers to get the arm to swivel/spring freely but functionally it’s fine. Unless of course, you’re happy to pay a premium for a product hand-crafted by a hipster?

kcal

the Oi ones were a pile of cack IMO.

The Spur ones are nice, I don’t splash out on much so don’t feel too bad on some nice bit of kit for the bike.

dogbone

Unless of course, you’re happy to pay a premium for a product hand-crafted by a hipster?

Yes, actually I am. (Gränfors owner as well..)

martinhutch

Unless of course, you’re happy to pay a premium for a product hand-crafted by a hipster?

Or would rather pay someone for the product they developed and made, rather than someone who just ripped off their design and made an exact copy with poorer materials?

A tale of two bells: Spurcycle vs. the counterfeiters

ton

spur bell user here.
    but I threaded the screw that clamps on to the bar.
    I emailed spur in the states.
    they sent me a complete new bell free of charge.

frankconway

@dovebiker – enjoy your knock-off product. I’ll stick with the original.

LittleNose
    Free Member

Had a Spur for a couple for years now, and although it doesn’t look as shiny anymore, it still sounds ace

Daffy

4 Spur bells here. I also bought a Rock Bros one to see what all the fuss is about. Very similar, but nowhere near as nice sounding.

Interestingly, the newer PVD coated CK Spur version of the bell sounds MUCH nicer than the original Spur bells.

M

TiRed

The Spur story is an interesting one from an intellectual property perspective. Obviously they ought to have filed for appropriate protection first etc, but I think what they have done is increase the market for bike bells. Rock have then gone for the lower price end of the market, whilst others are happier to pay a premium for the originator. They probably have not lost out to the extent you might have thought in an expanded market.

I don’t have either btw. But I work in an area where IP is absolutely everything.

alexnharvey
    Free Member

It makes you wonder how Lion bellworks make a bell in the UK for only £18.95. Compare also the Japanese crane bells.

I think that $/£50 for any bell is taking the piss. What exactly was their innovation? Some sympathy for then being ripped off but the pricing leaves them particularly open to it.

Daffy

They created a minimalist, lightweight bell with a massive sound on a mounting system that would allow the bell to be attached to any shape or size of bar without requiring adapters or different mounts.

The price comes (at least partially) from the materials used. Everything is designed to be absolutely ideal for function but also be galvanically compatible. Nothing will rust/oxidise, nothing will degrade (no paint). The bell should last for ages and be able to attache to anything.

That’s the kind of design thinking that should go into everything. It should be built to last regardless of cost.

As an aside, the Knog Oi Lux uses a copy of the Spur level mechanism and uses similar materials – it’s €40 and you have to buy the right size for your bike and it’ll still only fit around something that’s round.

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

I’ve had a couple of the knockoffs which all break within a year or two, then last year i bought the proper one and y’know what, it’s loads nicer. Like most expensive things are.

I wouldn’t have been a customer without the cheap ones.

slowoldman

Yes, actually I am.

Me too, they are a thing of beauty, both in form and function.

fooman

I’ve had a couple of the knockoffs which all break within a year or two

I bought a copy didn’t even last a month, mind I had a Knog Oi and that didn’t last either. I didn’t really know the Spur story before so might invest in one for the lifetime warranty, although I’ve got my eye on one of these for peak-hipster;

Coffee bell

MrPottatoHead

I have a Crane E-Ne as I couldn’t justify going full on Spur prices for a bell. In my mind, it’s also a lovely design and nice acoustics.

squirrelking
    Free Member

It makes you wonder how Lion bellworks make a bell in the UK for only £18.95.

Certainly does, and now I know what I’m getting to replace my broken cheapo unless anyone knows of a similarly priced decent quality ‘tring tring’ type? Preferably steerer mounted.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Spur Bell’ is closed to new replies.