Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Specialized Stout hubs – any good?
  • atlaz
    Free Member

What the topic says. Reviews I find are really varied which is par for the course but obviously leaves me non the wiser.

jedi

in my experience not good

rolymo
    Free Member

i have a front hub that has done sterling service for 2 years.

do they do rear hubs?

seem strong and free running and need no real TLC. no probs at all.

atlaz
    Free Member

Jedi – Is that for your sort of riding in particular or just they weren’t good for you in general?

thefallguy
    Free Member

Mine came with my stumpjumper in 07, rode it twice a week for the 1st winter, in the spring bought a new hope wheelset so I retired the oe set to winter wheels only, but now the stout has developed quite a bit of play although it still runs smoothly in contrast… the rear hub is shimano and that has been useless in the filth and I’m fed up with tightening/stripping/replacing the sodding thing. LBS reckons they are heavy but ok and I should save up for pro 2’s.

SteveTheBarbarian
    Free Member

Well the Stouthub that came on my 06 Stumpjumper, I would rate as outstanding. I’ve replaced every other moving part on the bike except it, and the brakes.

Rebuilt the Shimano rear hub twice, and it’s knackered again in the shed right now.

pimpmyride
    Free Member

Had 2 bikes with stout hubs and always been smooth as silk and no problems.

jedi

i had some i borrowed for xc when they come out and they lasted 2 rides.
    the 12mm axel ones i know others have had were shite

stratobiker
    Free Member

I have a 28 spoke front stout hub on my 2004 stumpjumper HT. It’s been, and still is great. All i’ve had to do is change the bearings. I don’t ride the kind of stuff that jedi rides, but I do race XC on it.

SB

riggsy
    Free Member

never had any problems with mine

tinsy
    Free Member

got an 04 one thats done a lot of shitty miles and not had bearings yet.. Its the one with the 9mm skewer (not sure if theyre all the same)

keppoch

Having purchased one indvidually as I though the 9mm through axle one was a great idea it turned out to be a poor choice.

As others mentioned I found the cup’n’cone bearings worked loose and I also wasn’t convinced by the QR skewer, the cam didn’t seem to have quite the right profile; very tight doing it up and then one done up seemed a lot less tight.

So IMO a good idea poorly executed.

keppoch

mudshark
    Free Member

I’ve had various Stout hubs and no problems at all; actually I’ve only once had a problem with any hub so not sure how much use my experience is!

tinsy
    Free Member

Cup & cones? They are a sealed bearing arent they? In 5 years I have never adjusted mine up…

Potdog
    Free Member

Got one fitted as standard on my 04 Enduro. It’s done lots of miles and absolutely no maintenance! Still runs perfectly.

(Runs off to check before next ride now that I’ve jinxed it!)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Specialized Stout hubs – any good?’ is closed to new replies.