Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 143 total)
  • Songs that sounds amazing through decent headphones
  • Just picking a few random ones from the top of my recently added

As Yet Untitled – Terence Trent D’arby

Purple Rain – Prince

Brothers In Arms – Dire Straits

I’m On Fire – Bruce Springsteen

Seems I had a flurry of adding middle of the road 80’s songs recently, but they do sound good.

For something more leftfield, try Blown Away by Sivert Hayem

Add suggestions below

Futureboy77

Unfinished Sympathy & Hymn of the Big Wheel – Massive Attack

Tin Soldier & If I Were a Carpenter (Live) – Small Faces

Controversy – Prince

somafunk

This colab between nils frahm and kiasmos is one of my favs of the moment

petrieboy

There’s a playlist on Spotify for exactly this. Standout for me is FGTH welcome to the pleasuredome

There’s a playlist on Spotify for exactly this. Standout for me is FGTH welcome to the pleasuredome

Yeah there are a few tbh, but some of the content isn’t always particularly excellent headphone tracks I’ve found

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Private Investigations – Dire Straits.

ta11pau1

What headphones?

My current set are Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm, through a Fiio K3 amp/dac. Also have an Audeze Penrose planar magnetic wireless/bluetooth set on order for gaming/bluetooth out and about duties.

I have a few go to songs for testing stuff:

Fischerspooner – Emerge
    To build a home – The cinematic Orchestra
    Hallelujah – Jeff Buckley

Then, some others:
    Closer – Nine Inch Nails
    Hide and Seek – Imogen heap

Oh and this. All of this.

What headphones?

Sony WH-1000XM3

Probs not audiophile quality, but they’ll do

cb

Pretty much any Leftfield track!

molgrips
    Free Member

Best one for me (since getting those very same headphones) has been the acoustic version of Cathedral by Jade Bird. And all of Every Open Eye by Churches. The former because you can really hear the percussion of the guitar mixed in with vocals, and the latter because of the huge dynamic range of the music, the dynamism of the sound and how much of it you can hear.

Make sure you are listening in HD and also make sure that you have the right codec set up – LDAC for Android or AAC for Mac.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yes!

Also,

Aural assault.

jim25

Jamie Woon, sharpness

p7eaven
    Free Member

Live: Osees ‘Henchlock’ in KEXP

stuey
    Free Member

Oh Death – Ralph Stanley – is my goto for checking ‘good headphones’

perchypanther
    Free Member

Fool’s gold – Stone Roses
    Son of a Preacher man – Dusty Springfield
    My daughter tells me that Billie Eilish needs to be listened to on headphones

Jerm

Funny seeing both the Dire Straits tracks. I had the same thought when ‘your own sweet way’ by ‘The Notting Hillbillies’ came on the on the other day. A lot of music is just background but I really noticed the difference on that one.

binners

As someone who listens to a lot of stuff on decent headphones, some favourites…

CountZero

Honestly can’t argue with that, the original 12” single release was outstanding, and the first vinyl pressings of Love Over Gold were simply stunning, mastered by Bob Ludwig at Masterdisk.
    Difficult this, trying to think of individual songs from thousands.
    One that springs to mind is ‘Gravity’s Angel’ by Laurie Anderson from ‘Mister Heartbreak’. Lots of deep bass, sudden sharp sounds, just a great song and recording.
    Peter Gabriel does vocals on it, as well as on ‘This Is The Picture (Excellent Birds), and he does the same song on ‘So’, but with his own style.
    Both albums work really well through ’phones, I particularly like the chosen tracks.

There are a couple of songs by Paul Simon I particularly love, from an album I keep going back to, ‘Hearts And Bones’. Never really considered to be one of his best, it was supposed to be a Simon & Garfunkel album, but Simon got fed up waiting for Artie to finish doing something else, took all of Artie’s vocals off that he’d done, and finished it himself. And I love it to bits, it’s a great recording, with the title track, and also ‘René And Georgette Magritte With Their Dog After The War’ (!) standouts for me.

richardoftod

p7eaven
    Free Member

Am still massively impressed and delighted every time I stick the Orb’s ‘Valley’ thru the cans. The piece has steadily revealed more and more sonic delights to my ears over the decades at the same rate that my equipment has been upgraded! (Currently AKG K550 mkIII)

Interesting snippets about the track from Alex Patterson:

We do things like turning the pages of a book and treating the tape to produce a high-hat, and using cutlery or scissors or spinning coins as percussion. We once used two huge swords. Thrash and I had a fight with them in the studio. That was fun. Apart from the fact I almost killed Thrash.
    “We’re also really into natural sources. Listen out for the rabbits in ‘Assassin’. And the elephant I taped when I was in Nepal. We’ve just finished a new track called ‘The Valley’, for which we set up radio microphones all over this valley down in Dorset. It’s amazing what we picked up. We also recorded some stuff in a chicken hut. There was one particular rooster which went mad whenever somebody clapped their hands. He was the star of the record. The snuffing horse was pretty good, too.

– (INFO FREAKO, Melody Maker, October 9 1993, p.51)

https://urbigenous.net/library/orb_samples.html

cynic-al
    Free Member

Anything by Level 42, obviously.

binners

Level 42…

😉

binners

Another belter on headphones

freeagent
    Free Member

My daughter tells me that Billie Eilish needs to be listened to on headphones

I’m sure she’s right… just not on my headphones

p7eaven
    Free Member

If you can source a decent copy of Sibelius’ No 5 played by the Oslo Philharmonic conducted by Saraste

And I wish I could find and HD copy of Cornelius ‘Sensuous’ online. I have the album but the video really adds to the music. It’s quite brilliant with headphones.

Talking of who, here’s some audiovisual fun:

redmex
    Free Member

Tubular Bells or Hunky Dory listen to David draw on a fag just before he sings or the creaky chair

Caher

Agree about level 42 – awful on any media. Love listening Disintegration, The Cure.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

Anything by Level 42, obviously.

Oddly enough Lessons in Love is actually pretty good for testing audio equipment. If you can turn it way up and the bass line stays clean, and the wailing guitar bit stays clean, you’ve got yourself a pretty good set up. You might not want to listen to it though.

mrjmt
    Free Member

Gasoline by Halsey or anything from Badlands is good.

redmex
    Free Member

The Race by Yello
    Listen to how the race engineer plays with your lugs sliding the V8 sound from left to right for 8 mins slipping in with come with me I’m gonna win the race doom biddy doom to win the race doom
    Almost another out the closet Level 42 fan but just to add blown away literally at the Caird hall in Dundee by the bass, never listened to them getting on for 30 years now

curto80
    Free Member

Blue Mantle by the Aliens

The way it builds is awesome

Once described as the “sonic equivalent of waking up to find a spaceship in the garden”.

matt_outandabout

Some great suggestions above – I’ve spent an evening re-listening to lots.

How about – The Who – Who are you?

Not been through all the suggestions yet, but did listen to Private Investigations last night and yes, excellent!!!

As an aside, I’ve been falling asleep lately with headphones on – and at a decent volume too, it’s quite strange

And just to add – I definitely won’t be sampling any Level 42

nbt

nick1c
    Free Member

Ricky Lee Jones, easy money.
    Ry Cooder, down in Hollywood.
    Pink Floyd, wish you were here.
    (I’m old!)

DrP

I don’t really listen via decent headphones, but on my posh speakers I ADORE
    Kina Grannis – can’t help falling in love with you…

Beautiful song and voice..

DrP

woollybackpaul
    Free Member

Having bought some new headphones and a portable DAC recently I’ve been listening to lots of stuff on Tidal. The sound quality is head and shoulders above Spotify especially the Masters quality tracks.

They’re currently doing 4 months trial for £1.99 if anyone is interested:

https://tidal.com/offers/blackfriday

My recommendations:

Sigur Ros – Hippipolla
    Orbital – The Box Part 2
    Hey Laura – Gregory Porter
    Weird Fishes – Lianne La Havas
    Build a better world – London Elektricity
    The Chain – Fleetwood Mac
    Stevie Wonder – Anything off Songs in the key of life
    Tame Impala – Let it happen
    Beatles – lots of the Giles Martin remixes
    Royal Blood – Ten tonne skeleton
    Hu Man – Greentea Peng
    Flaming Lips – Do you realise (TPS Mix)

Leave at that before I disappear down a rabbit hole…..

grahamt1980

One of my favourites
    For what it’s worth – buffalo Springfield
    I am only listening through Spotify with my audio technica m50x

funkmasterp

As an aside, I’ve been falling asleep lately with headphones on – and at a decent volume too,

I do this most nights.

Monster Magnets Dopes to Infinity album is great through good headphones. They were given decent studio time and money for the first time. The budget appears to have been spent on melatrons, theramins, panning,lots of incidental effects/strange noise and drugs, all of them.

dannybgoode

Depends what you mean by decent headphones. I got seriously into them and ended up with a pair of Focal Utopia and then the Hifiman HE1000 v2 on the end of a Trilogy 931 Headphone Amp. Both would worry speakers with a £15-20k price tag and a similarly priced amp and *anything* sounded simply sublime! But then inc the amp you’re looking at £4-5k…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 143 total)

The topic ‘Songs that sounds amazing through decent headphones’ is closed to new replies.