• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Sonder transmitter carbon owners – help please
  • bri-72

Thinking about a full build. Sizing issues and having discussed with chaps at Sonder I’m still not sure.

Anyone got pics of a full carbon build in large, and what size are you.

The alu large at 470 seat tube would be perfect I think. But the same doesn’t exist in carbon. The carbon large is 495 seat tube. The medium in carbon at 445 would be too small.
    The carbon large sounds huge for my short legs on a 5’10 frame. But the ETT, reach and stand over are all similar to the alu large and sounds ok.

The stated standover at 790/795 across the alu and carbon frames doesn’t equate to the pictures ive seen. They suggest the alu has a fixed top tube/seat tube interface across the sizes, but the brace and seat tube extends above. Where’s on the carbon model it’s different and suggests to me standover on a 495mm carbon frame must be higher than stated.

Dunno if have made myself clear, hopefully there are some wise words of help out there.

dumbbot
    Free Member

Get the Alu Transmitter then? If the numbers don’t work for you, they dont work. 495mm seattube is mahooosive imho. I’m 5,8″ and the seat tube on my stanton is 414mm…and i can only just get a 125 dropper in.
    All the other numbers between Carbon Vs Alu are pretty similar, you could always get a demo for the weekend from Sonder.

Mates got the Alu reef green one and its lovely btw.

bri-72

But the carbon is awfully nice. All the stats sound good apart from 19.5 which sounds big big big

BadlyWiredDog

Can you not just try one for size. They have a bunch of demo bikes. Fwiw, I own a medium alloy Transmitter, but had the loan of a carbon one for a couple of weeks, also medium. I’m five nine-and-a-half and they both fit me fine. Are you sure you need a large?

dumbbot
    Free Member

Also, pretty sure my mate is 5,10″ and he’s on the medium..it’s perfect for him.
    I’d be wanting to swing a leg over one of these..

Probably not been much help other than to add more confusion. Oops.

AlexSimon

I’ve never quite understood why the carbon frames have such a level top tube. Always looked a bit odd on the photos.

bri-72

Medium is 17″ and past history with frames that size reminds me of my too much seatpost on show phobia.

jonundercover
    Free Member

The carbon and alu frames have the same geo now. I have a large alu one ,I’m about 5’11 with 33 leg , its a perfect fit. Long enough to be very stable but plenty of standoved. Awesome bike!

BadlyWiredDog

Medium is 17″ and past history with frames that size reminds me of my too much seatpost on show phobia.

Isn’t the whole point of a shorter seat tube to allow you to run a dropper with more drop and more standover? In fact the blurb on the Alpkit website says just that. I guess it’s all personal taste, but I’d e more concerned with the other dimensions, reach in particular. Anyway, as above, they’re cracking bikes. The carbon frame saves more weight than you’d think and just feels livelier as a result I think.

prawny

445 at 5’10 sounds fine if your legs are short. I’m 5’11 with short legs and my Vitus is 435 ST, could just about run a 150mm reverb, happy with my Brand X for now and means I can stick a crud guard on for the winter.

Reach is a bit short on the Vitus compared to more modern offerings at 418, but I’m still happy riding it, much longer and it would lose some of the hardtail playfulness that I got it for. You can’t plough on a hardtail like you can on a 150mm full suss

bri-72

Cheers bit the bullet on a large carbon and hoping I dont regret it

bri-72

Feedback time

Only had a spin in the street but feels nice. A lot slacker than what im used too, but looking forward to it.

Glad i opted for the large the medium would have felt and looked way too small IMO. While I was always at the lower end of scale for the large, standover is fine albeit ive only got about 1cm of clearance. But the reach with supplied 35mm stem actually feels quite short (steerer was left uncut at my request so with slack HA that shortens reach a fair bit from normal shipped setup). Will probably go for 50mm to stretch it slightly. I think a medium would have felt very cramped, forced me into a quite long stem, and ended up with a very long seatpost on show.

Cant wait to try it out proper this weekend.

dumbbot
    Free Member

Im curious when you say ‘1cm of standover clearance’, do you mean you’ve got 1cm between the top of the seat clamp and dropper post collar? I assume you are running a dropper,?

What colour did you go for?Looking forward to seeing some pictures.

bri-72

1cm between top tube and my gentleman parts

dumbbot
    Free Member

She’s a beauty, my personal colour choice as well.

You can fit a dropper so that’s all I was slightly concerned about, enjoy!

nickc

That’s a lot of spacers under the steam!!

bri-72

Yeah bought a long low slack frame and ‘de-lowed’ it. Setup may change after first ride.

dotdotdot
    Free Member

Any updates on how people are finding their TC’s?

bri-72

Still thumbs up here though not been used in weeks as winter bike for the gloop

bri-72

Thread resurrection for anyone searching for transmitter info.  Have now set it up 29er even though it’s not actually a 29er frame.  Circa 2lbs off the rolling weight is noticeable tho tyre clearance on the rear is rather tight. 2.25 WTB trail boss on a 23mm internal rim gives me 5-6mm max clearance to the seattube. Even less now I’ve put some protective tape on the tube just in case.  Dunno if I’ll stick with 29er but interesting to know it can be done if careful with wheel/tyre choice.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Sonder transmitter carbon owners – help please’ is closed to new replies.