Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Sonder Cortex. Who’s got one? Thoughts?
  • PolisherMan

Thinking of swapping out my Genesis Tarn frame for one of these. I’ve had the forks set to 130mm, so apart from swapping plus wheels to big 29er 2.6’s everything else is a straight swap.

Apart from STW having a quick hour on it, reviews seem very thin on t’interweb.

wzzzz
    Free Member

Go demo one, I think they have a good demo policy where they will post you a bike!

I was waiting on them earlier in the year but got a too good to miss deal on a fairly similar bike.

timnoyce
    Free Member

I’ve got one. It’s a custom build with a 140mm coil fork, 1×11 XT drivetrain, Shimano 4 pot brakes and a 210mm OneUp Dropper.

Sonder Cortex

It has replaced a 26″ Orange Five and it climbs better and descends better, plus it pedals better and rolls over anything in its path. I love it.

Bagstard
    Free Member

I’m really pleased with mine,. still early days, so I’m not completely dialled suspension wise yet. It is a good climber, no effort keeping the front wheel down and it really eats the miles. Great on swoopy North Downs trails, holds it’s speed well and good over jumps and drops.I’m long of leg with a short body and I find the sizing spot on, nice reach, but not too long at 465, slack enough, but not too slack, they look much better in the flesh too.

letmetalktomark

I bought a frame with the DB Air shock at the start of September when they had the 15% off.

Being upfront I am an Sonder fan owning a custom ti frame (Neil is a top chap) and a fair amount of Alpkit kit.

The Cortex experience though wasn’t great – perhaps just a one off.

Frame arrived damaged (not from transit) and without the shock attached or the dropout kit & axle. I’ve never bought a frame only full squish bike so the second point may be usual – IDK.

I didn’t weigh it but the FO felt heavy and the pivot bolts were already showing signs of wear from I presume being torqued up – which is odd especially as the shock wasn’t attached. Frame finish was good but I don’t recall it being prepped – e.g. faced etc. My custom frame had obviously been un packed, prepped, checked and re packed.

This coupled with the website having the wrong headset spec listed – its been corrected now – left me feeling a little deflated and needing to exchange parts. Not the end of the world though.

I returned the frame.

timnoyce
    Free Member

Oh, my frame arrived in perfect condition with shock attached, axle and dropout kit ready to fit. It all seems good so far. My only point of minor concern is that the paint seems quite fragile. I’m not normally one to go as far as taping up a frame too much (it’s a mountain bike… I like the used look) but this has shown signs of wear in places that my locally powder coated bike didn’t show after 18 months of hard use.

the-muffin-man

Wait for the On-One version at half the price!? 🙂

letmetalktomark

@timnoyce – Perhaps I was just unlucky this time around.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Sonder Cortex. Who’s got one? Thoughts?’ is closed to new replies.