Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Solo night rides
  • hora
    Free Member

So- I’ve had one night ride before (binners/nbt etc) on a summers evening – started in light and ended just in dark.

This was my first proper night ride and solo too! 😀

So…. I should have worried who is over my shoulder/feel spooked etc but I didn’t. So tranquil- soo quiet. Eerily quiet. Loved that.

Anyway heres a pic- it was raining so didn’t hang around to get better shots- thats another thing- rain distracts through the beam of your headlight doesn’t it?

Didn’t meet any other riders. Only saw a Landrover Defender parked up in the dark on the final descent 😐

rOcKeTdOg

It’s ok until you try a wheelie, go over the back of the bike deep in the woods & as you lie on the ground you realise
    A) you’ve told no one your route
    B)it’s unlikely anyone will walk through for at least 12 hours

Thankfully I was just winded

hora
    Free Member

…and branches are suddenly low. Almost pulled my helmet/me off the back of the bike 😀

Breathe hangs above/around you like steam from a steam train in your headtorch light 8)

wwaswas

After a mate ended up lying unconscious and unfound for several hours following a crash on a warm summers evening my appetite for solo night rides on dark cold nights has waned somewhat.

I do love them though. It’s a dilemma.

hora
    Free Member

After a mate ended up lying unconscious and unfound for several hours following a crash on a warm summers evening my appetite for solo night rides on dark cold nights has waned somewhat.

I made it clear where I was going. Trying to install a decent app too for locator (most of the rides localish/within 40mins drive have a signal)

I do love them though. It’s a dilemma.

I’m a convert- it beats waiting for the weekend and watching weather reports. You pick one nice evening and get out!

jam-bo

So…. I should have worried who is over my shoulder/feel spooked etc but I didn’t.

You are the weirdo in the woods…

scandal42
    Free Member

Did a solo night ride on the road the other night, was great, so much more room given by the few cars I did meet.

wwaswas

I made it clear where I was going.

He lives alone and no one else knew he was out. I can rationalise that it would be different for me, it’s just made me a bit less “Oh, I’ll only be 3 miles from Brighton the whole time, there’s nothing to worry about’.

I use Tracker as it’s passive (only switches on gps when my wife sends it a text asking where I am) and doesn’t have any real affect on battery life.

hora
    Free Member

Bugga 😯

nickc

it was raining so didn’t hang around to get better shots-

Well known fact*: ‘The Monsters’ prefer the woods when it’s raining, they enjoy it because They don’t have to creep about as They know you can’t hear Them. When it’s not raining, you have to pedal v fast all the time, no stopping. Ever.

*not a fact

whitestone
    Free Member

Went out for a solo night ride on Wednesday night (SO was away on a girlies night out 😀 ), random patches of sheet ice made it “interesting”. You just have to ride with some leeway, keep your speed down and try and resist popping a jump or two 🙄

Wasn’t in the woods though …

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I (perhaps naively) assume that with my iPhone on me I can easily be found on my local night rides that never venture too far from civilisation. I should perhaps rethink my strategy for my more remote solo rides 😕

Wednesday night’s was a belter. Only a short one, but the halfway pub had an open fire, some lovely ale and a fiddle and squeezebox player providing the live music. Happy days.

sandwicheater

@wwaswas, tempted by that tracker app. Use RoadID at the mo but it does drain the battery a tad. Does it have a different name? Just had a gander in app store but could see it.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Had a razz round Afan Blue on tuesday night, ace! Note to self though, if doing bermy stuff: use a helmet light!

wwaswas

sandwicheater – sorry it’s called “Droid Beacon” (no idea where I got ‘Tracker’ from!)

Junkyard
    Free Member

You just have to ride with some leeway, keep your speed down and try and resist popping a jump or two

This

If solo just ride well within your limits and dont be afraid to change route and get off and walk “just in case”.

scotroutes

The thought of lying injured or unconscious for several hours (or indeed days) in subzero conditions is one of the reasons I got a Spot Tracker.

whitestone
    Free Member

+1

I was heading down a farm lane on Weds night and just as it was about to join the road I thought something wasn’t quite right ahead. Sheet ice for about 3 metres, all on an off-camber slope 😯 Got off and walked/slid past it.

Being on flats rather than SPDs in icy conditions helps as well, you can put a foot down and get a tripod effect – you might not stop but you are less likely to fall over.

eltonerino
    Free Member

I was also out last night, but did bump into a couple of old blokes going in the other direction.

I use Endomondo so the Mrs can see where I am (and send messages). You can also set goals, interval training etc. with it which is nice. I usually have it and Strava on. It doesn’t really kill the battery any quicker than just having one of them on.

br
    Free Member

I made it clear where I was going. Trying to install a decent app too for locator (most of the rides localish/within 40mins drive have a signal)

If you’ve and iPhone try findmyiphone, but remember to switch on the ‘last known place’.

MoreCashThanDash

A mate has started using a tracker function on his View Ranger app.

Seemed a good idea till his wife texted him within 5 minutes of us arriving in the pub to let him know she knew where we were 🙄

hora
    Free Member

😆

I’m on Android (Nexus) if it helps?

If I forget and leave it on, she’ll know how much time I spend in TKMaxx, Carribean takeaways and the Sauna 😯

Pook

Hora, how late would you be happy starting out?

scotroutes

MoreCashThanDash – Member
    A mate has started using a tracker function on his View Ranger app.
    Seemed a good idea till his wife texted him within 5 minutes of us arriving in the pub to let him know she knew where we were

where is the problem in that?

medoramas
    Free Member

I do solo night rides on weekends very often. Sometimes it’s not possible to fit a ride during the day, so when it’s dry outside, daughter and wife go to bed, I have a cup or two of espresso or Hot Lava Java (“damn good cup of joe!”) and off I go! It’s normally about 22.30 when I leave home.

I love local woods at night – knowing there is no dog walkers rises up the confidence. I don’t do anything stupid on the bike, I let the wife know what route I’m going to do and planning to be home just after midnight.

There are just two negatives: it’s much colder at night and I have to sleep on the sofa after (waking up the wife in the middle of the night = dancing with death…).

adsh
    Free Member

A tracker would be a help if you were injured and unable to seek help.

It will not help if you knock yourself out and end up in a position where you cannot maintain your airway for more than 2-3 minutes!

What are they like in the woods – my Edge loses satellites sometimes in thick woods.

hora
    Free Member

Adsh you can ride in the peaks early morning and see one other person all the ride. So those 2-3mins?

whitestone
    Free Member

We did a ride early last summer in the Lakes (the round of Coniston). We’d been going four hours before meeting someone – this was on a sunny Saturday. Of course there may have been walkers or bikers following us that might have caught us up if we’d stopped for any length of time.

hora
    Free Member

If you are night riding in a fairly popular place for bikers I doubt you’d be laying there too long…..except for the ^lad who started at 10.30pm last night

Pook

i might come and join you hora. You’d still have a solo ride, you’d just see my twinkly light up at the top of the hill ahead of you 😉

MoreCashThanDash

Scotroutes – if you have to ask, you are a lucky man….

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

After a mate ended up lying unconscious and unfound for several hours following a crash on a warm summers evening my appetite for solo night rides on dark cold nights has waned somewhat

My mate crashed his car, doesn’t put me off driving. If I thought ‘what if’ for everything I do, I wouldn’t do much! 😀

robj20
    Free Member

Yep i was out at 10:30 last night, i dont let it worry me, i just don’t push my luck.

hora
    Free Member

i might come and join you hora. You’d still have a solo ride, you’d just see my twinkly light up at the top of the hill ahead of you

Another persons extra head torch will come in handy when we are bent over your bike trying to fix it again

Pook

😀

what’s the latest you’d set out?

robj20
    Free Member

I have been around Rivington past midnight a fair few times.

hora
    Free Member

Hora, how late would you be happy starting out?

If its the Peaks- I’d set off just after the last load of commuters going through Glossop (whatever time that is?)

Last night it took me an hour to get to Rivi from Manchester through the rush hour. Hated that.

I’d be happy with a 7.30 start I guess?

dereknightrider
    Free Member

I do it a lot (as the name suggests) it’s great if you stick to your regular trails (until some kids decide they want to build a gap jump in the middle of one and start with a hole) so after that nasty incident that had me stunned stupid and woken by the dog licking me, I have a regular routine, ride with the iPhone, tell the breadknife if I’m not back within a certain time frame then punch the find my iPhone button on the mac see where I am, if it’s in a pub don’t worry if it’s on some trail not moving, then worry, but ring me first in case it’s a flat.

All fine as long as you have signal which most of the local trail have.

devs
    Free Member

I was clearing fallen trees mid ride at 1130 PM with a florabest hand saw! I often don’t set off till after 10PM, the latest ever would have been around 1115PM during Puffer training for a 3 hr ride. I’m self employed and end up either still busy or too tired at “normal” riding times. Then something good might come on the TV which pushes my departure back 🙂
    I’ve had one smash when I thought what I was doing might have been a bit daft and one bad mechanical where I had to carry a mukluk 2 miles to the nearest road. Luckily, the first and only car on that road stopped and gave me a lift, bike and all. Saved me a 7 mile carry, or more likely walk and then retrieve later.

hora
    Free Member

That dog licking you was checking its food was cold and OK to eat?..

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Solo night rides’ is closed to new replies.