Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Soggy feet (flat pedals)
  • kid.a
    Free Member

It’s the one thing that really bugs me. And being as it’s now seemingly going to rain forever (here we haven’t had a day without rain for weeks)! What solutions for flat pedal footwear in this wet wet mud??

I know there are those Endura overshoes, but I’m size 12.5 (48) so no go. I thought maybe some gaiters. OR walking boots even, with a stealth sole.

Even with waterproof socks, it gets in eventually and it’s then all swimmy in there.

Your solutions appreciated.

chakaping
    Free Member

Thick wool socks and learn to live with it.

Losing battle trying to keep feet dry some days.

chakaping
    Free Member

I do wear 5:10 Freeride EPS high tops when it’s particularly wet, they do a half-decent job TBF.

submarined
    Free Member

Really? You must have the EPS high version I didn’t get, the one with the gusseted tongue they omitted from mine…
    Best I can do is EPS highs with knee length mid Sealskinz. I’m not sure there’s a better solution than this pretty crap one. It’s a perennial problem.

Paul@RTW
    Free Member

I’ve been really impressed with 5:10 Freerider ELCs. Not waterproof if you stand in a puddle but the lace cover does a pretty fair job of keeping your feet dry in my experience.

kid.a
    Free Member

I’m suprised nobody has produced a better wet weather flat shoe. Kind of like the Fizik/Northwave winter boots, with the top closures and decent fabrics, but for flat pedals.

submarined
    Free Member

I’m still surprised as well, as is everyone every year when this question is asked everywhere!
    5:10 came so close so man times, but each time missed out a key ingredient like a sealed tongue, lace flap, or multiple other double entendres that incidentally would have made a great shoe!

duncancallum

Vaude moabs and rooster neoprene socks

Lummox

I’ve been searching for a solution for years, best I’ve got is waterproof trousers plus gaiters plus Sealskinz socks. It works but it’s bulky and needs all those bits to work.

i’m now holding on till next year for the new five tens with the mid ankle and gtx, I’ll be able to bin off the Sealskinz and wear nice merino, still going to get wet once it runs down your leg though if you’re wearing shorts.

martinhutch

I’ve been using 5.10 Camp Four (low) – which are waterproof (well as much as anything can be). I wear them with longish Sealskinz. Had to chop a few of the sole treads off to make them work well with flats, but that hasn’t caused any other problems.

Unfortunately the buggers have stopped making them, so was wondering whether there was any kind of equivalent out there.

sharkattack

I’m waiting for these

cnud
    Free Member

Goretex Five Ten approach mid high boots and fox trousers, not even had a slightly moist foot in 3 winters of Peak District mud, snow, river crossings

sam_underhill

Anyone know when those gtx five tens will actually be available?

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

I’ve got some Lake 303’s that I can just about use on flat pedals, I’ve ordered the cleat pad replacement kit and once fitted I’ll report back as to how good they are on flats.

devbrix
    Free Member

Vaude Moabs Mid STX (not the low which don’t have a tongue gusset) are very good in wet weather, made from environmentally friendlier materials and good labour standards and tough as….well, old boots.

tjagain

Shimano winter boots with the neoprene cuff or ordinary cycling shoes with goretex socks works fine for me – But I wear longs and they go over the top of the sock / cuff to stop the water running down and into them

chevychase

As second poster said – thick wool socks.

I’ve been pimping Brigdales on here like I get paid by them – but only because they’re so good. Soaking wet through, minus 5, 10 hour ride in driving snow. Feet were still good at the end of the day.

Walkers know what they’re doing.

tjagain

As a walker I never wear wool socks and I walk a lot.

Andy-R

Premier Icon
    devbrix

Subscriber
    Vaude Moabs Mid STX (not the low which don’t have a tongue gusset) are very good in wet weather

They’re what I use – I like them a lot.

duncancallum

I use the lows not as g9odcas the mids but breathable and if proofed splash resistant.

It’s https://www.roostersailing.com/pd/ThermaFlex-Wet-Socks-25mm-Neoprene_105342.htm

That keep my warm though

Northwind

I bet 10p they **** up the sole on the new goretex five ten, “stiffer for better power transfer” like with the new impact. They botched the EPS High imo- “water resistant leather” for me meant “water goes right through it the first time you go through a puddle”. They’re fantastic in dry cold, your real hard winter rides, but that doesn’t really happen often enough to be worth owning shoes for I reckon. If they were made of the same stuff as the Freerider Elements they’d have been ace.

5 10 Guide Tennie Mid worked really well for me last 2 years. Sadly the goretex version is discontinued. It’s not a bike show and it does show, a bit, but it still works great.

grannyjone
    Free Member

Five ten freerider elements and seal skins socks. Keep the rides below 35km. You’ll finish with wet feet but at least they would have stayed dry for most of the ride!

If you want to do longer distances it seems like you’ll just have to put up with it or arrange some sort of vehicle support!

Anything I’ve done since the last third of September that has been below 35km I’ve been glad to finish at the end due to being sodden. Anything above 40km in recently weeks has been very unpleasant.

It’s gone on for a while now and I’m beginning to think we’re due some more settled weather soon and things will get drier.

It’s not often that very unsettled weather hangs around for this long. Around here it was an incredibly dry April & May then regular rain since the beginning of June, with very few interruptions.
    A very unusual year weather wise. Unusually bad!

muggomagic

I use Fox trousers. mid length sealskins and whatever shoes have dried out. 3 very wet rides in the past week or 2 and my feet have stayed dry. I used the sealskinz with waterproof shorts last winter and nothing stayed dry as the water ran down my legs and eventually made it’s way into my socks and the spray went up my shorts (not a wholly unpleasant feeling) and my undershorts soaked up all that water. The Fox trousers (other trousers are available) have stopped all that and biggest bonus is once I get back to the car or garage I just whip em off and hose them down so the car and bath doesn’t get full of that lovely Surrey Hills sand.

jackal
    Free Member

Which fox trousers are you using @muggomagic ?

muggomagic

I’ve got 3 pairs, the flexairs, indicators and just bought some rangers which are waterproof. The flexairs and indicators are good in the wet though, end up with dry feet with the sealskinz but do get a wet arse.

airvent
    Free Member

Has anyone sprayed five tens with waterproofing spray such as Nikwax? Bought some on the weekend to give this a go but havent tried yet.

kid.a
    Free Member

@sharkattack Those Five Ten Gore Tex boots look great ^^ or the mid version (Five Ten Trailcross Mid GTX).

The shoe/low version also seems to have done away with the chunky padded ankle/tonge. That in itself is a good improvement fot wet stuff. Current Freeriders take days to dry.

Think I’ll save a bit and wait for those to come out.

Blackflag
    Free Member

Errr… Am i the only one who didn’t realise that 5.10 were owned by Adidas until this post??

And i’ve had about 4 pairs over the last few years. Doh!

ayjaydoubleyou

I second (third/fourth) the trousers

I use endura (non waterproof ones)

Most of the water that is soaking the absorbent spongy liner of most 5.10s (I have freeriders) is running down your leg and/or sock after being splashed there from the front wheel or from heavy rain.

Not perfectly dry but I’m happy to wear the shoes again the next day.

Additional benefits:
    – socks are just damp/sweaty and can go straight into the washing machine, rather than caked in half an inch of mud from the ankle up which inevitably gets flicked across whatever room or car you try to remove them in.
    – Multiday trip and only own one pair of knee pads – much nicer to wear the second day.
    – no mud dingleberries in the leg hair.

epicyclo

If you’re wearing waterproof boots, you may as well wear a jug of water once the water gets in.

Wear footwear that lets the water out (and in, obviously) and Sealskinz are the answer.

I wear sandals with Sealskinz when it’s slushy, but I believe there’s now boots that have drain holes (canyon boots?) which sound better.

stevextc
    Free Member

I’m suprised nobody has produced a better wet weather flat shoe.

Ultimately though it will run down your ankle ?
    I suffer from cold feet (ride ruining) though and just go with sealskinz or similar… my winter shoes are 1/2 size bigger so I can stick socks under (the less aborbent 5 tens)

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I rue the day I bought some wrongly-sized Sombrio Shazam mids. They were leather with a velcro splash guard. Perfect for flat pedals. Really well made too. Had to sell them because too small (thanks to a rubbish podiatrist advising on size)

Anyway, can’t get them now as discontinued. If you see a NOS pair or barely used, snap them up

Alex

My Freerider EPS were okay but not really waterproof. Warm tho. Sole has gone tho after two winters and they’ve not been used that much. I think the Freerider Elements were a better ‘wet weather’ shoe but again sole has collapsed and couldn’t find any discounted.

So bought some of the Vaude Moab. I hope they are as good as everyone says. Even discounted that’s an expensive bit of footwear.

Northwind

Malvern Rider

I rue the day I bought some wrongly-sized Sombrio Shazam mids. They were leather with a velcro splash guard. Perfect for flat pedals

Weirdly there were 2 different Shazam mids too, I have the ones you mention, then I got another pair that had a vented toe! They were otherwise exactly the same.

ogden
    Free Member

Five ten ELC (the ones with the flap) and the thicker version of the sealskin hydro stop socks. The only time it’s failed me was when I was at glentress in a torrential downpour when the trails had been wet for a week already – every puddly was like pointing a pressure washer at my feet.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Soggy feet (flat pedals)’ is closed to new replies.